Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2015, 06:32 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm afraid I can't directly compare them. I own an f 50 f1.7 which is similar in performance by all accounts at least for sharpness.

---------- Post added 12-27-15 at 08:32 AM ----------

Post some pics problem ones and good ones.

12-27-2015, 06:42 AM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeV Quote
Thanks for the comments.

Some understand the problem some didn't get my need requirements.
No...I've never seen anyone change from one lens to another lens in the time it takes to spin the ring on the zoom lens, so multiple lenses are still out.
The zoom ranges noted, and my comment about trying the current lens at 50mm and 60mm to see if the other (60-250 and similar) Pentax lenses could be used seemed to say that these wont work as the short end is still too long. I did really want the 60-250 Pentax lens...it just wont work for my uses.
Use a tripod/mono-pod...that person didn't read my comments..! Speed is required. By the time I put even a mono-pod down, get the height adjusted, attach the camera, that shot plus many other picture possibilities have long since passed..! Plus, I'm not that shaky yet..! Again, my other cameras do well.

Multiple cameras are out because of traveling considerations. Much difficulty there. This is why I'm asking about adjustments I may have missed within the camera.
Yes, I do use JPEG for everything. I guess this may be more of a hindrance with this camera vs. lenses as desired than other combinations. I've just not wanted to spend a ton of time working on 75 to 150 keeper pictures per outing.
And yes, I do understand the word "sharp"...as in detail, not color, depth of field, etc.
I doubt that the K3 "should" be sharper than the 6D Canon, but I'd think it would be nearly similar, much like my A 77II. I don't think an APS-C sensor can match full frame sensors for detail acquired.

At least for now, I guess this camera is relegated more to stationary object shows where the cars, planes are just sitting. Too bad, I had great hopes for the K3 at the various car and bike races, RC car and plane racing and air shows where there is flight. It still requires a better lens even for stationary pictures. I did have reservations about the "Tamron"/Pentax lens, but it does have the reach I need..!

One statement from above...is there lens micro-adjustment in this camera that I missed ? I'll go looking...thanks for the reminder.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer.

Mike

P.s. - Boris, clackers and a couple others, good reading, thanks
Mike

In reading this last reply I think there are two things you need to consider. As I initially commented, you need to review and look at the JPEG settings. There may be a lot to consider and learn from in setting the jpegs.

Secondly, if you are using this camera and lens for action shots, consider also turning SR off, unless you are very good at panning, SR can actually lead to blurred images due to the "jitters" in your motion.

Also check your settings, including auto ISO and exposure. The camera will try to. In full auto mode, meet the MTF curve for the lens by first boosting ISO, if it cannot get exposure with ISO it will then open the lens up, followed lastly by dropping shutter speed.

I shoot manual everything. Or if there is some specific DOF and shutter requirements I will shoot Tav mode and let ISO float

It would be really good if you could post photos so we can see what your issues are, along with the exif data. People here are willing to help, but some will come on a bit strong and negative if you criticize the gear and do not post photos. We get "trolls" from time to time that just come here to down talk the gear, and people take offence after spending a lot of money to hear someone else slam their decision.

One last note, you list that you have a lot of similar gear, why did you buy the same in Pentax? What was missing in the other systems? Just curious
12-27-2015, 10:57 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Bottom line, as I've found myself and seen over the years, this is an exceptional bunch of knowledgeable Pentax users here, friendly and helpful.

If you're interested in providing more info and images, I'm sure everyone can help you get good performance from your K-3. I've seen hundreds of razor sharp images from K-3's and "lesser" Pentax cameras and there are independent test results showing the performance possible.

Good luck and happy coming New Year.
12-28-2015, 06:27 AM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

Excuse me did I get it right ?

A Pentax 18-270, 15X APSC zoom, 453g, 8.9cm long, sold for 480€ doesn't perform as well as a Canon 28-300L, 10.7X FF zoom, 1580g, 18cm long lens sold for 2000€ ?

Really how can it be possible ?

Seriously, if you have an issue show the picture that display so we can discuss it.

But if you expect something 4 time less expensive, 3 time smaller made for APSC instead of FF to perform nearly as great, I really wonder why you spent as much on your Canon gear !

Last edited by Nicolas06; 12-28-2015 at 06:33 AM.
12-28-2015, 10:04 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nicolas has an excellent point that lens wise the OP is not comparing apples to apples. Here's a DPreview from two years ago about someone that tested the Tamron and the Pentax (a rebranded Tamron) 18-270mm but found that the Pentax version seemed improved over the generic Tamron version other than having a green and not a gold ring.

Pentax 18-270 vs Tamron 18-270: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
12-28-2015, 04:03 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeV Quote
Thanks for the comments.

Some understand the problem some didn't get my need requirements.
No...I've never seen anyone change from one lens to another lens in the time it takes to spin the ring on the zoom lens, so multiple lenses are still out.
The zoom ranges noted, and my comment about trying the current lens at 50mm and 60mm to see if the other (60-250 and similar) Pentax lenses could be used seemed to say that these wont work as the short end is still too long. I did really want the 60-250 Pentax lens...it just wont work for my uses.
Use a tripod/mono-pod...that person didn't read my comments..! Speed is required. By the time I put even a mono-pod down, get the height adjusted, attach the camera, that shot plus many other picture possibilities have long since passed..! Plus, I'm not that shaky yet..! Again, my other cameras do well.

Multiple cameras are out because of traveling considerations. Much difficulty there. This is why I'm asking about adjustments I may have missed within the camera.
Yes, I do use JPEG for everything. I guess this may be more of a hindrance with this camera vs. lenses as desired than other combinations. I've just not wanted to spend a ton of time working on 75 to 150 keeper pictures per outing.
And yes, I do understand the word "sharp"...as in detail, not color, depth of field, etc.
I doubt that the K3 "should" be sharper than the 6D Canon, but I'd think it would be nearly similar, much like my A 77II. I don't think an APS-C sensor can match full frame sensors for detail acquired.

At least for now, I guess this camera is relegated more to stationary object shows where the cars, planes are just sitting. Too bad, I had great hopes for the K3 at the various car and bike races, RC car and plane racing and air shows where there is flight. It still requires a better lens even for stationary pictures. I did have reservations about the "Tamron"/Pentax lens, but it does have the reach I need..!

One statement from above...is there lens micro-adjustment in this camera that I missed ? I'll go looking...thanks for the reminder.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer.

Mike

P.s. - Boris, clackers and a couple others, good reading, thanks

Sounds like you are in such a hurry the Pentax AF might be letting you down. Or, you might have a bad copy of the zoom. And there's a lot of other possibilities as well.

In skilled hands the APS-c sensor and K3 could outshoot 99% of the people on this forum. The K-3 is sharper than the 6D, the AA filter makes the difference. FF is just a format, not a sum of system potential.

No offense, but you talk in big suppositions and your self proclaimed shooting style indicates a lack of photographic situational awareness.

If the 6D is working for you, what's the problem? Why even bother with the K3?

The K3 has some gotchas too. Make sure High ISO noise reduction is off, and not on auto. Also make sure your shooting AF-S. AF-Auto can be wonky. As soon as I posted the videos on these two issues a few years ago, the K3 soft images issues miraculously went away. Wonder if that was a coincidence...

---------- Post added 12-28-15 at 04:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Excuse me did I get it right ?

A Pentax 18-270, 15X APSC zoom, 453g, 8.9cm long, sold for 480€ doesn't perform as well as a Canon 28-300L, 10.7X FF zoom, 1580g, 18cm long lens sold for 2000€ ?

Really how can it be possible ?

Seriously, if you have an issue show the picture that display so we can discuss it.

But if you expect something 4 time less expensive, 3 time smaller made for APSC instead of FF to perform nearly as great, I really wonder why you spent as much on your Canon gear !

Canon L lens to Pentax rebadged Tamron bargain lens. And the performance is not as good? SHOCKING!!! LOL.

---------- Post added 12-28-15 at 04:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
Bottom line, as I've found myself and seen over the years, this is an exceptional bunch of knowledgeable Pentax users here, friendly and helpful.

I'm friendly... for a New Yorker.
12-28-2015, 06:22 PM   #37
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
n skilled hands the APS-c sensor and K3 could outshoot 99% of the people on this forum.
Ouch

12-28-2015, 11:12 PM - 1 Like   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Ouch

LOL...

Really, how many people make 20x30 or larger prints on a regular basis?

Because if your not doing that your wasting your K3's potential.

Not really but you get the point. 6mp cameras were not good enough for most of us, and now the opposite is true. 24mp's are more than most of us really need or can use effectively.
12-29-2015, 01:44 AM   #39
Veteran Member

LOL...

Really, how many people make 20x30 or larger prints on a regular basis?

Because if your not doing that your wasting your K3's potential.

Not really but you get the point. 6mp cameras were not good enough for most of us, and now the opposite is true. 24mp's are more than most of us really need or can use effectively.
Couting the AF was not so great on previous models and that AF help more if you are not so great, I'll say that a K3 is a great choice at a great price. It will do 95% of an FF for less than half the price and allow you to have significantly smaller lenses.
12-29-2015, 06:11 AM   #40
Imp
Pentaxian

@ Qwntm, I jest

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Couting the AF was not so great on previous models and that AF help more if you are not so great, I'll say that a K3 is a great choice at a great price. It will do 95% of an FF for less than half the price and allow you to have significantly smaller lenses.
I don't see any reason to upgrade to full frame. If anything i'd upgrade to the K-3, not even K-3 II, and that would be plenty for me.
12-29-2015, 11:22 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In skilled hands the APS-c sensor and K3 could outshoot 99% of the people on this forum.
Amen... but then again in skilled hands any camera can kick butt. I do get your point however and agree with it.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7ECB90D96DF59DE5