Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2015, 12:43 AM   #1

Missing the lens boat..!

I seem to be missing the boat here, lens wise.
I know there's a good camera inside the K3 package, but the zoom package I need just doesn't seem to be on my side.

I have a Canon 6D with the much maligned 28-300L and 35-350L lenses that produce nicely sharp pictures.
I have a Canon Sl1 with an old Tamron 18-250 lens that produces very sharp pictures.
I have a Sony A 77II, with the lowly 18-250 Sony branded Tamron lens that produces very sharp pictures.
Not too long ago, I bought the K3, with a, similar to the above lenses lens, the Pentax branded Tamron 18-270 lens. It does not produce even close to sharp pictures.

1. Anti-aliasing filter off.
2. Noise filters off, to 1600.
3. Tried F-6 to F-11.
4. Have the inexpensive (cheap ?) 50mm lens, produces sharpness similar to the 18-270 lens.

And no, not into dragging two or three lenses around. Plus, I don't know anyone that can change lenses fast enough to keep up with the distances I need to cover, to keep up with the action (various forms of Motorsports, air shows) going on.

Obviously my hands are steady enough for the other cameras (actually did about a half a days testing today with all of the above cameras, shooting the "same" non-moving object, at about a 60ft. distance away)...so...
Am I missing a K3 adjustment somewhere or...?

I like a lot of things about the K3, but for its severe lack of sharpness. Is it that there just isn't the lens range that I need in a good Pentax lens ? I tried some 50mm and 60mm lens range shots a coupla weekends ago with the K3 to see of the 50-250 Pentax would be usable...it wont work. The 50mm end is just way too long.

Thanks for any help or push in the right direction.
Even saying that a Pentax lens doesn't exist for my needs..!

Mike

12-26-2015, 12:58 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Truth be told Pentax is better known for primes, not zoom lenses. I'm not saying that the zoom lenses are bad, it is just that the primes are the principal appeal behind the pentax name. The JPG engine in nearly all pentax DSLRs leaves a lot to be desired,especially in regards to sharpening.In my opinion you're better off shooting raw and applying sharpening in RAW processing software: such as Lightroom,Capture one, or even Photoshop.

As it is with any camera, It is important to make sure your lenses are focusing accurately.

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeV Quote
I don't know anyone that can change lenses fast enough to keep up with the distances I need to cover, to keep up with the action (various forms of Motorsports, air shows) going on.
The trick to motorsports is to have two cameras with different lenses. It is indeed possible to change lenses quickly on any bayonet mount camera quickly, but it is not possible for those with inexperienced, unpracticed hands.

I can get sharp images out of any current DSLR, Pentax cameras are no different from any other current camera when you shoot raw. But one must use correct technique.

Last edited by Digitalis; 12-26-2015 at 01:03 AM.
12-26-2015, 01:01 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Mike, the K-3 as a camera should be sharper than your Canon 6D ... deeper DoF, 24Mp vs 20Mp, no AA filter, IBIS.

I'd turn attention to that copy of your lens. ( Disclaimer: I'm not a fan of any superzoom. I'd rather carry two bodies with two zooms to cover that range)

Have you rigorously tested focusing from a tripod using LiveView?

Your results should indicate whether you need to do AF microadjustments or simply get a refund on that lens.

Last edited by clackers; 12-26-2015 at 03:02 AM.
12-26-2015, 02:05 AM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have used both DA18-250mm and DA18-135mm on my K-3. For sharpness, I feel that the DA18-135mm works better.

As previously stated, Pentax is renown for prime lenses. More generally, a prime lens will give you much better IQ than a zoom lens for the same price.

For zoom lenses, the DA18-135mm and DA16-85mm are solid all-around zoom lenses. There are several reviews suggesting that the Sigma 18-250mm (and possibly Sigma 18-300mm) might be better options than the DA18-270mm.

There are higher quality zoom lenses worth to consider albeit with a lesser focal length range: Sigma 17-70mm, Tamron 17-70mm.

I often travel with my K-3 (like now) with my DA18-250mm and a prime (eg Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4). When I want convenience an flexibility and there is decent lighting, I would use the DA18-250mm. When the lighting is average to poor, I always shoot with a prime lens. There have been a few situations when I had two camera bodies.The DA18-250mm on one body and a prime lens on another body.

Hope that the comment may assist.

12-26-2015, 02:47 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am not familiar with the Tamron 18-270mm, but I do know that the Tamron 18-200mm zoom lens for Pentax mount is one of the lowest scoring in terms of IQ. If you really needed an all-in-one lens, then either the Pentax DA 18-250mm or DA 18-270mm is going to outperform the Tamron in terms of sharpness. And then again, looking at your EXIF metadata, at what focal length are you shooting a majority of your images? If it is at the long end, then I'd consider the Pentax DA 55-300mm WR zoom.
12-26-2015, 03:04 AM   #6

The 18-270 is not renowned for being sharp. SMC Pentax-DA 18-270mm F3.5-6.3 ED SDM Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

But if it's that bad perhaps you just have a poor copy of that lens and need to get it exchanged.

The K-3 is capable of good sharp images, but (like any camera) it needs to be paired with a good lens if you want to get the best out of it. Go to a good camera shop and test something like a DA*300 to see the difference.

Whilst being very versatile, a super zoom lens is always a compromise in image quality. If you don't want to swap lenses why not consider a shorter zoom and crop images where necessary? You have plenty of cropping potential with the K-3. The 18-135 is a step up in sharpness (I had one and found it was a great general purpose lens), but changed that for a 16-85 which is sharper again. It's not often I miss the extra range above 85 for general purpose shooting.

But if you're using the lens mainly for motor sport and air shows then you're likely to be better off getting a longer and faster lens - a Sigma 70-200 F2.8 is just one example worth considering.

If image quality is one of your main criteria, then there's really no alternative to carrying around at least two lenses or two cameras if you need to cover a large 'zoom' range.

At motor sport events and air shows I'll often carry the K-3 with either a Pentax 60-250 f4 or Sigma 100-300 f4, and carry a large sensor compact (small and light and easily accessible from a belt bag) for the closer shots.

Last edited by percy; 12-26-2015 at 03:10 AM.
12-26-2015, 03:24 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Folk above are saying that Pentax are basically not good with zooms. Whilst I agree the strength is probably with the primes, the Da* zooms, especially the 50-135mm can give exceptional sharp and great IQ images. So in my option it's not all zooms ...

12-26-2015, 03:26 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
the Da* zooms, especially the 50-135mm can give exceptional sharp and great IQ images
Technically, the 50-135mm f/2.8 isn't a pentax lens, it is a re-badged Tokina.

/Flame shields up.
12-26-2015, 05:18 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Technically, the 50-135mm f/2.8 isn't a pentax lens, it is a re-badged Tokina.

/Flame shields up.
AFAIK, if anything, the Tokina is a rebadged Pentax. ;-)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokina
12-26-2015, 06:06 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Folk above are saying that Pentax are basically not good with zooms. Whilst I agree the strength is probably with the primes, the Da* zooms, especially the 50-135mm can give exceptional sharp and great IQ images. So in my option it's not all zooms ...
I agree. Zooms are fine. The DA* zooms are superb and others like the 20-40 and 16-85 are (in my experience) very good, but super zooms are never likely to be in the same ball park.
12-26-2015, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll ask a different question. When you say sharp, do you really mean fine detail, or do you mean bright and contrasts. Are you shooting JPEG or RAW

The reason for asking is that compared to other camera manufacturers, Pentax uses relatively flat Standard JPEG settings, where cannon especially is known for boosting contrast and color saturation to somewhat unnatural levels, because that catches people's,eyes. It dows not make anything sharper but they score higher in most magazine tests. You should look at playing with your settings, usually you can bring things to compare with any other camera
12-26-2015, 07:01 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeV Quote
I seem to be missing the boat here, lens wise.
I know there's a good camera inside the K3 package, but the zoom package I need just doesn't seem to be on my side.

I have a Canon 6D with the much maligned 28-300L and 35-350L lenses that produce nicely sharp pictures.
I have a Canon Sl1 with an old Tamron 18-250 lens that produces very sharp pictures.
I have a Sony A 77II, with the lowly 18-250 Sony branded Tamron lens that produces very sharp pictures.
Not too long ago, I bought the K3, with a, similar to the above lenses lens, the Pentax branded Tamron 18-270 lens. It does not produce even close to sharp pictures.

1. Anti-aliasing filter off.
2. Noise filters off, to 1600.
3. Tried F-6 to F-11.
4. Have the inexpensive (cheap ?) 50mm lens, produces sharpness similar to the 18-270 lens.

And no, not into dragging two or three lenses around. Plus, I don't know anyone that can change lenses fast enough to keep up with the distances I need to cover, to keep up with the action (various forms of Motorsports, air shows) going on.

Obviously my hands are steady enough for the other cameras (actually did about a half a days testing today with all of the above cameras, shooting the "same" non-moving object, at about a 60ft. distance away)...so...
Am I missing a K3 adjustment somewhere or...?

I like a lot of things about the K3, but for its severe lack of sharpness. Is it that there just isn't the lens range that I need in a good Pentax lens ? I tried some 50mm and 60mm lens range shots a coupla weekends ago with the K3 to see of the 50-250 Pentax would be usable...it wont work. The 50mm end is just way too long.

Thanks for any help or push in the right direction.
Even saying that a Pentax lens doesn't exist for my needs..!

Mike
Before you try to figure out if it's the camera, lens, or camera/lens, it's best to do some shots in Live View using a tripod, 2 second delay and ISO 100. Best to turn off IS, too. That should give you a handle on the ultimate capability from which every other shooting situation can be compared.
12-26-2015, 07:21 AM   #13
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by percy Quote
I agree. Zooms are fine. The DA* zooms are superb and others like the 20-40 and 16-85 are (in my experience) very good, but super zooms are never likely to be in the same ball park.
How about the issues people seem to have with the *16-50?
12-26-2015, 08:16 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
How about the issues people seem to have with the *16-50?

I've had my 16-50 for over a year. I was worried about the issues I had heard. Knock on wood it is an amazing lens and I use it all the time.
12-26-2015, 08:24 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
AFAIK, if anything, the Tokina is a rebadged Pentax. ;-)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokina
Yeah, It's the beloved 12-24 that's a Tokina...