Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2016, 09:58 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
BTW, congrats on getting on the FA limited bandwagon...
I've been on it quite some time. I just held out on the FA43 because I didn't think I'd use it much; my 50 is used sparingly. I really got it for the FF. I don't expect to use it terribly much on my DSLR until then. But I think it will have a nice home on my film camera until then.

01-21-2016, 11:58 PM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bpv_UW Quote
How does the Da 55/1.4 measure up here?
I have all four glasses.

The FAs don't have the pop or contrast of the DA55 from RAW. And yes, the DA is the sharpest wide open.

For OOF, the 31 has the smoothest bokeh. True, the 55 is much "creamier", but the 31 is obviously better in a way that is very hard to describe.

The 77 is a true a "point and shoot" lens for me, just point, and shoot, even wide open, and everything comes out with a lot of pixel dust. Among the 4, it's the one I use the least, but she gives me the most keeper.

Now, the 43, ah the 43, is something else. It underexposes inconsistently, it has a rough bokeh, and it has a weird FOV, but when it nails a shot, (sometimes, even I get lucky!) it's always worth the time finding the best printer and frame.

The DA55 seems to be the most "digital", outstandingly sharp, vibrant and contrasty, but somehow I gravitate to the Limiteds if I'll have to choose.

Now, I also have the K55/1.8 which I believe is a perfect marriage of the DA55 and the Limited persona, the only problem is: it was born way ahead of the Limiteds and the DAs. And it's embarrassingly ubiquitous!
01-22-2016, 02:22 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Hmmm now I have the 43 and I've got the 77 also. I already love the 77, but I didn't have the chance to use the 43 that much except for some test shots. The question is... should I get the FA 31 also considering that I also have the Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art? Looks like such a redundant thing to do, but I foresee I will not be able to resist
01-22-2016, 02:30 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
Hmmm now I have the 43 and I've got the 77 also. I already love the 77, but I didn't have the chance to use the 43 that much except for some test shots. The question is... should I get the FA 31 also considering that I also have the Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art? Looks like such a redundant thing to do, but I foresee I will not be able to resist
That was a similar route I took towards the 31. But I didn't have the Sigma, but I had the 35/2.4 to discourage me then. The plan didn't work. I bought the 31.

My only regret is that I should have bought the 31 earlier!

01-22-2016, 02:35 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
That was a similar route I took towards the 31. But I didn't have the Sigma, but I had the 35/2.4 to discourage me then. The plan didn't work. I bought the 31.

My only regret is that I should have bought the 31 earlier!
Haha. I also had the 35/2.4, one the best lens as per quality/price ratio that I've ever encountered. I feel sorry for selling it, but the poor thing had a difficult time competing with the Sigma 35 which is probably one of the best lens made for Pentax ever. But again, so is the 31
01-22-2016, 03:56 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
The question is... should I get the FA 31
and the answer is...yes!