Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2015, 07:19 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Point of reference: 18-135 brand new for $300 from Overstock; Pentax 21977 18 mm-135 mm f/3.5-5.6 Zoom Lens for Pentax KAF3 (New in Non-Retail Packaging) - Overstock Shopping - Great Deals on Pentax Lenses

12-28-2015, 08:24 AM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
it's even cheaper at amazon $279.16

http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-21977-18-135mm-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00...=pentax+18-135
12-28-2015, 08:51 AM   #18
Pentaxian

In your shoes, I would take way number one. That would give you WR from 18mm to 300mm at once, with only two lenses, and you might find you don't need anything else.

Then, when you have sufficient funds built up, replace the 18-55mm with something else if that's still what you want to do. Most people would go with the 18-135mm or 16-85mm, and both of those would give you a little bit of overlap, but the 16-85mm is significantly more expensive. With the telephoto end already well covered, only you can decide whether you need the extra wide angle field of view between 16mm and 18mm or the alleged increase in image quality the 16-85 gives (I say alleged because I don't own one and can't speak for it, while the 18-135 has been good enough for me so far). The only way to determine that is to spend a while with the two-lens combination and see if you are always taking a step back to get more in at 18mm (in which case the 16-85mm would probably benefit you). The other thing to consider is how often you're changing from one lens to the other, and at what focal lengths (so you can determine how much overlap you need or want).

If you don't mind a bit of a gap in coverage, and you believe everything that's said about the image quality and build quality, the 20-40mm Limited might be a consideration for the wide end. But that's quite an expensive lens for the narrow focal range it covers. Before you get something like that, I'd shoot with the 18-55/55-300 combination for a while and see what focal lengths you were using on a regular basis.

---------- Post added 28-12-15 at 12:22 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to believe that "Discontinued" business. It comes up all the time here, and people keep on knocking it on the head. It seems to be a marketing gimmick designed to make you buy in a panic.
12-28-2015, 09:13 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
In buying a DA SDM zoom lens be wary of the potential for these to fail. I would contemplate trying the following knowing FF is on the way:
The OP hasn't mentioned an SDM lens, as the 18-135 has the DC motor. And I've read that in more recent lenses the SDM issues have been resolved.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
my suggestions remain unchanged. The FA 28-105 is colloquially referred to as the stack of primes. Having a specialty wide angel and telephoto at either end of the FA 28-105 gives you the range you need and high quality at the same time. All FF too.
I've never seen the FA 28-105 mentioned as a "stack of primes". However, the A 35-105 is well known to have that sobriquet.

12-28-2015, 09:14 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Based on comments, the unit you linked to doesn't come with the hood, even though it's shown in pictures. Overstock lists their item as coming with the hood. I'd spend the $20 for the Pentax hood, personally.
12-28-2015, 09:23 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
For a two-zoom kit the 18-135 and 55-300 is a good start.
Since you have the 18-55, I'd get a 55-300 first. That's available for pretty cheap on the used market now if you don't need the WR version. A used 18-135 will cost you about $300. It's a nice lens and WR so it's pretty versatile.

But if I were in your shoes I'd look for a used 55-300 - not WR (unless you really want WR), not DAL. I'd also pick up the DA35mm f2.4 "fantastic plastic" to have a very nice normal view lens for indoors, landscape, etc. That gives you some reach and some sharpness. You won't outgrow those lenses very soon.

Then decide what you can't do with those 3 lenses and formulate a strategy to fill those gaps.

PS I did find a Promaster 28-105 and it is very good. It's quite sharp at 70mm.
You are quoting US prices. The OP is in Poland...
12-28-2015, 09:33 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I were starting from scratch and just had the 18-55 WR as you do... and assuming that you want to get better quality pictures but you're not likely to buying the lenses that cost more than the camera...
1) At some point you'll likely want to get the 55-300. It's a great tele-zoom option with very good quality
2) To replace the 18-55, I would suggest either the 18-135 or the newer (and more expensive) 16-85. You have to be intending to shoot long to go beyond 85mm, so either of those lenses would likely cover your needs 80% of the time.
3) There are some great deals on good primes. The DA 35 f2.4, the DA 40 XS f2.8, or the DA 50 f1.8 all are excellent.

12-28-2015, 09:38 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

boriscleto: Okay, how about this; 18-135 lens for 1458 Polish Zloty; Karta kurier gratis PENTAX 18-135 mm F3.5-5.6 WR obiektyw mocowanie Pentax - FOTONIA Justyna Szo?drowska

That's $377 USD + whatever taxes apply.
12-28-2015, 10:24 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
18-135 lens for 1458 Polish Zloty...That's $377 USD
Only the Poles know, on a living-day-to-day basis, how much the Zloty is really worth, i.e. how easy (or difficult) it is for an individual Polish Pentaxian to make 1458 of them, and how much the other things they might buy with them cost. It all comes down to cost of living relative to earnings.
12-28-2015, 10:49 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Only the Poles know, on a living-day-to-day basis, how much the Zloty is really worth, i.e. how easy (or difficult) it is for an individual Polish Pentaxian to make 1458 of them, and how much the other things they might buy with them cost. It all comes down to cost of living relative to earnings.
Couple things; I wasn't extremely serious with my reply, with the zloty. I didn't mean to muddy the waters.

And if we're to not discuss costs of a lens with the Polish, why would we discuss it in some other currency? Dollar amounts for lenses get tossed around all the time here. Right?
12-28-2015, 10:49 AM   #26

There have been many good suggestions already...
After I bought my k20d I tried to "fill the gaps" in my range quickly and cheaply... Which was a mistake as I ended up buying the more expensive options anyways as soon as I could afford them.
I love my 18-135 it is WR and a very useful range in a pretty small package.
Depending on what you spend the most time photographing 18-135 may cover 90% of your shots in one lens.
You could look for a prime to fill the long end of your range...
Of course once I had my general all in one lens then I started hunting specialty lenses.... 40mm ltd, 70 mm ltd, 35 mm ltd, 50mm f1.2, 200mm f2.5
So my recommendation would be to get the best all around zoom you can afford as it will get heavy use... Then look for specialty stuff to capture shots the all around zoom is weak at (but which you like to take the most).
If you take (or want to take) lots of tele shots then a 2 zoom option may be best... If you stick with more normal / short tele shots then 1 good lens may suffice.
12-28-2015, 10:52 AM   #27
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Given what you said you like to shoot, as well as your current lens situation, I would recommend keeping the 18-55 and getting the 55-300. This will give you a fine range to shoot and you can discover from their use which focal lengths you would like to pursue in primes. This is a much less expensive and more rational way to acquire prime lenses than the "let's try this because it's a good lens" approach.

Don't sell the 18-55. It's a great little lens that will give you nice landscape shots and you can take it anywhere and not worry about the weather, or dropping it, or... In time, if you find you really enjoy wide angle, you can decide on better zooms or primes.

If you feel compelled to add a prime right away, pick up the fantastic cheap little 50. Unbelievable quality to price ratio.

Good luck!
12-28-2015, 11:00 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The real answer lies in a matrix of what is your budget, what do you shoot, how important is convenience vs. IQ, etc. All these things would help to filter the 100+ new lenses presently available for Pentax mounts and the hundreds of legacy options.

Although I love macro, I don't shoot it often enough, so that's eliminated (for me). When I go out to shoot, I'm either in a mode to "hunt" with a goal in mind, or a mode to "find" with an open mind and no objectives (no pun intended). When I'm "hunting" I take a set of two or three primes. A wide and a fast normal prime (or the 40mm f/2.8 pancake for street photography). I'm not a telephoto hunter; I like to be in the environment and not shoot from afar, so I usually won't use anything above 85mm on a fast prime.

When I'm in the "finding" mode, then I prefer the 16-85mm range, although I've had some great results with the 18-135mm. But for any of us to really give you any sage advice here, you need to tell us more about your budget, what you want to shoot, convenience vs. IQ, and are these photos destined for the web or for gallery sized prints.