Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-31-2015, 01:13 AM   #16
Veteran Member

I have both the 16-45 and the 17-70. I prefer the 17-70. Look everywhere else and then go to Digidirect in Elizabeth Street, they seem to offer the best prices day in day out , in Melbourne. Check out Dcxpert on e-bay as well. Either of the above is a good lens; I use them for stitched landscapes so have never had much need for better than f8

12-31-2015, 05:42 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
You have made assumptions as to the OP's financial status,currency used and access to retailers beyond their immediate location
OP stated $500 in his post, and as OP actually lives in Australia, perhaps it's you who are making the unwarranted assumption about which currency is being talked about. It's easy when someone's from a non-dollar-using nation (like the UK, for example, or the EU), but when someone talks about dollar amounts I usually start thinking in terms of THEIR local dollar terms, whatever they may be. And I know the Aussies and Canadians are not in a good position relative to the Greenback right now - in fact both AUD and CAD are about at parity to each other at less than 75c to the USD. So if OP is talking in US dollars that's all very well, but if he's talking local currency he has $365 to spend, and that puts a 16-85 out of his reach unless he can find a real bargain. (And even if he is talking USD, Australian prices are always tax-included whereas US prices are almost always not, and shipping US to AU can be horrendous; I forgot that once sending a relative an Amazon gift card, much to my embarrassment and horror. I don't know what Australian Customs takes at the border for overseas purchases, but some of the used lenses I've bought on this forum have had significant chunks added to their cost at the US-CDN border and I have little reason to believe the Australian situation is any better.)

you hardly fall into the Pacific Island Navy category in terms of photographic armoury!
No, but I am well aware that others do - and I'm not the only one who lists an extensive array of lenses in my sig (some people here have long since run out of room to do that; there's a few of us here who admit to over a hundred lenses).

Furthermore saving a bit more for a better lens is hardly comparable to International Arms Budgeting!
It may have been a bit on the hyperbole side, and I was trying to be humorous, but the principle is exactly the same - you can't ask someone to consider the purchase of something which meets all their needs and then some at a price they've already told you they can't afford. I keep on seeing this all the time here, and in fact I saw yet another example not half an hour ago. It's one of the reasons I advise people NOT to buy the 35 Limited Macro unless they really NEED the ultra-close focus it offers.
12-31-2015, 09:03 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
OP stated $500 in his post, and as OP actually lives in Australia, perhaps it's you who are making the unwarranted assumption about which currency is being talked about. It's easy when someone's from a non-dollar-using nation (like the UK, for example, or the EU), but when someone talks about dollar amounts I usually start thinking in terms of THEIR local dollar terms, whatever they may be. And I know the Aussies and Canadians are not in a good position relative to the Greenback right now - in fact both AUD and CAD are about at parity to each other at less than 75c to the USD. So if OP is talking in US dollars that's all very well, but if he's talking local currency he has $365 to spend, and that puts a 16-85 out of his reach unless he can find a real bargain. (And even if he is talking USD, Australian prices are always tax-included whereas US prices are almost always not, and shipping US to AU can be horrendous; I forgot that once sending a relative an Amazon gift card, much to my embarrassment and horror. I don't know what Australian Customs takes at the border for overseas purchases, but some of the used lenses I've bought on this forum have had significant chunks added to their cost at the US-CDN border and I have little reason to believe the Australian situation is any better.)

No, but I am well aware that others do - and I'm not the only one who lists an extensive array of lenses in my sig (some people here have long since run out of room to do that; there's a few of us here who admit to over a hundred lenses).

It may have been a bit on the hyperbole side, and I was trying to be humorous, but the principle is exactly the same - you can't ask someone to consider the purchase of something which meets all their needs and then some at a price they've already told you they can't afford. I keep on seeing this all the time here, and in fact I saw yet another example not half an hour ago. It's one of the reasons I advise people NOT to buy the 35 Limited Macro unless they really NEED the ultra-close focus it offers.
The OP upgraded from a Kr to a K3 so money(or lack of it )isn't that great an issue,you sprang to their "defence" at the slightest provocation,it would be interesting to learn their own thoughts on the matter!
My own initial post on this thread was a passing reference to a derogatory comment made on another thread and was to an extent tongue in cheek!
01-03-2016, 12:11 AM   #19
ADN

Original Poster
Happy New Years!

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'd look at the Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 "C" (an excellent balance of versatility, speed, and image quality), Pentax 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 (very good image quality, but slower aperture), or Sigma/Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 (best image quality, but lowest versatility). All should be a big upgrade over your 18-55mm, and your K-3 certainly deserves a better walkaround lens You should be able to get all of these for under $500, especially if you import from the US.
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
I recommend you to read two series of detailed reviews on relevant lenses: Pentax 16-50mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Tamron 17-50mm, Pentax HD20-40mm, Pentx 17-70mm:
QuoteOriginally posted by Davidparis Quote
My 2 cents : yes, replace that kit lens ASAP and you'll have better results for sure. I've had great luck and excellent results with the DA16-85 throughout the focal length with very nice corner/edge resolution. Really no complaints whatsoever on this lens. The DA18-135 is also very good and versatile, a bit cheaper these days but not below 18mm.
Go to the big camera stores on Elizabeth Street and see what they've got for you to try. Last time I was there (late February 2015)...
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
I also agree with the 16-45;
Thanks for all the great suggestions guys! At the moment, I'm not in a huge rush to replace it so I'm just staking out for a good deal somewhere, mainly looking at the 16-45mm, 17-50mm, 17-70mm options, but if I'm lucky enough to come across a good deal on any of the other more premium lenses...

QuoteOriginally posted by Rich7333 Quote
Just got a 16-45 for my K3.
Looks good! That prestige edition though *drool* hahah

You'd be hog crazy not to consider the 16-85
hahaha well glad to know I'm not crazy, but I'd have to hope for a really good deal on it hahah

...it's probably well beyond his 500 (presumably Australian) dollar budget...
You'd be right on the mark, $500 would be my absolute limit, and I'd be much more comfortable spending $200-300 on a second hand, but here's to hoping the new year brings me luck on the market hahaha

QuoteOriginally posted by Murra54 Quote
I have both the 16-45 and the 17-70. I prefer the 17-70... Either of the above is a good lens
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind when looking

The OP upgraded from a Kr to a K3 so money(or lack of it )isn't that great an issue
Hahah tbh I only managed to snag one because I was in Japan for a trip and a second hand K-5s-II was less than $200 from a k-3 so I figured "why not, I still save about %30 off RRP for a new k-3" (~AU$780 vs ~$1100)

01-03-2016, 04:31 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ADN Quote

hahaha well glad to know I'm not crazy, but I'd have to hope for a really good deal on it hahah
Happy New Year to you too ADN,glad you took that in the spirit it was intended.There is a small minority on this Forum which takes itself far too seriously

Last edited by timb64; 01-04-2016 at 10:08 AM.
01-04-2016, 02:47 AM   #21

K3 in Japan

Hahah tbh I only managed to snag one because I was in Japan for a trip and a second hand K-5s-II was less than $200 from a k-3 so I figured "why not, I still save about %30 off RRP for a new k-3" (~AU$780 vs ~$1100)

I am off to Japan myself in a few months; I am trying to get some sense of how much it might cost to pick up a new K3 while I am over there (doing same upgrade as yourself, from the K-r). Was the AUD 780 that you paid the price of a *new* K3, or a second hand model? Many thanks!
01-04-2016, 08:47 AM   #22
ADN

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dickie Quote
I am off to Japan myself in a few months; I am trying to get some sense of how much it might cost to pick up a new K3 while I am over there (doing same upgrade as yourself, from the K-r). Was the AUD 780 that you paid the price of a *new* K3, or a second hand model? Many thanks!
That was for a second hand K-3, to be precise it was JPY64800 tax included. After doing some searching on the forums here, I went to Fujiya Camera nearby Nakano Station in Tokyo as it was recommended by a few users, they have a website up as well "http://www.fujiya-camera.co.jp/" and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it either; most of the gear there was in really good condition, prices were fair (I actually ended up paying an extra ~3% international debit card fee because he forgot to deduct tax the first time, so I would have actually got the camera for closer to $700), and although I didn't come across a staff member who spoke english, I managed with my level of Japanese to ask about the condition of the camera and trying it out.
I did a check recently on the shutter count using a photo I took when I bought the unit and it was only just above 400 clicks which was a great surprise (they don't rank the condition by shutter count, just by physical condition).

Hope you have a great time there, its a great place to visit!

Last edited by ADN; 01-04-2016 at 08:54 AM.
01-04-2016, 11:15 AM   #23

Hope you have a great time there, its a great place to visit!
Thanks for your well wishes and for such an in-depth response! I will check out the website, and - once I reach Tokyo - the store itself! Sounds like you walked away with quite the bargain with that shutter count - that's as good as new!

I am very much looking forward to the trip, and the option for a reduced-cost camera upgrade just adds icing on the cake!