Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2015, 03:01 AM   #1

Landscape lens for Pentax Full Frame

While awaiting the FF arrival and upcoming lenses for Pentax and eventual third parties, what lens would you desire to use for the new FF purely for landscape and what do you currently have that could be applied to the new beast?

I currently have a 35mm fa 2.0 which would go quite well but to go a bit wider I would hope for a prime let's say 20mm 1.8, or 24mm. The new 24-70mm looks great but for me if I am gonna spend the money id prefer to stick to a sharp prime

12-29-2015, 03:33 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For the full frame, I don't have anything wider than the FA20/2.8, but I can't imagine I'd need anything wider, or even sharper, for landscapes. What would be nice would be an updated K28/2.8 shift, with an A setting at least, but in its absence I'll happily use my copy for panoramas. Frankly, anything wider is probably a speciality lens that would be useful in many situations other than landscapes, as I rarely use my Sigma 8-16 for that duty, or even my DA14/2.8.

Mind you, I'm only speaking for myself. Others have different shooting styles.
12-29-2015, 03:34 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mattox Quote
I currently have a 35mm fa 2.0 which would go quite well but to go a bit wider I would hope for a prime let's say 20mm 1.8, or 24mm. The new 24-70mm looks great but for me if I am gonna spend the money id prefer to stick to a sharp prime
A few of us were using (ultra)wide angle Samyang primes. The 14mm f2.8 and 24mm f1.4 and 35mm f1.4 are compatible with FF (as are some other Samyang primes) and deliver sharp photos at a reasonable price. and fast aperture! But they are big lenses, no AF, and some can come with decentering problems (I think especially the 14mm, but maybe the QC improved since then). Samyang is also sold under names like Bower, Rokinon, ProOptic, Vivitar, Walimex. The glass is identical, just different brand names and listed prices.

Then there is the legacy glass like Pentax FA 24mm, various 28mm lenses. Many zoom lenses these days go down to 24mm f2.8. And maybe lenses that were discontinued for K-mount, like Zeiss ZK and some Sigma lenses, might come back.

I think there is a good amount of debate and interest in Pentax WA primes, because right now Pentax is missing primes between 21mm and 31mm, and some of the current primes are not fully FF compatible (vignetting). Some months ago Pentax sent out a poll to some Pentaxians about what kind of 24, 28mm lens they might be interested in. I think something will come within the next two years. But that might be too long to wait for some.
12-29-2015, 03:39 AM   #4
Ole
Administrator

I'll probably mainly use my newly acquired 24-70mm with the caveat that I don't know yet how it performs on FF. On APS-C it is plenty sharp also at the wide end.

From the old days I have several primes from 20mm to 35mm (but I'd prefer the zoom for convenience). I will probably bring along the FA 20mm F2.8 to augment the 24-70mm at the wide end. Or use my K-3 and DA 12-24 when I need to go wider.

12-29-2015, 03:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Theres supposed to be DFA wide zoom coming at some point according to the lens roadmap

and a DA wide zoom... perhaps a 12-24mm replacement or thereabouts
12-29-2015, 03:57 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have the Samyang 14mm and 24mm lenses. Great IQ on FF, and manual focus is fine by me.

Buy wisely so you can send back any bad copy.

If you're really cashed up, Pentax may even resell the big reputation Tamron 15-30mm.
12-29-2015, 04:18 AM - 3 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Why is everyone suggesting lenses 20mm and wider for landscapes on FX format? for the love of god, use what you've got. If you buy a wide lens simply for landscapes you are missing the point, an overwhelming number of landscapes have been done with lenses in the 24~90mm focal length range - anything wider or longer than that becomes rather specialized, and less likely to be used.
12-29-2015, 04:21 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would like a 20-ish mm prime, hopefully not faster than f2.8. You don't need a really fast lens for landscapes, frankly f4 would be fine as long as it was decently sharp wide open. Basically I want something roughly equivalent to the DA 15 limited, but maybe a little sharper with as good flare control.

12-29-2015, 05:15 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Agree about the Samyangs.

There also is a nice, small Voigtlander 20/3.5 (Color Skopar SL II).
Great manual feeling.
I am not sure if this is still available new for Pentax.

12-29-2015, 06:08 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
I am not sure if this is still available new for Pentax.
it isn't, not anymore.
12-29-2015, 06:17 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Agree about the Samyangs. There also is a nice, small Voigtlander 20/3.5 (Color Skopar SL II). Great manual feeling. I am not sure if this is still available new for Pentax.
How this would compare to a well regarded SMC-M 20mm f4 ?
12-29-2015, 07:13 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Why is everyone suggesting lenses 20mm and wider for landscapes on FX format? for the love of god, use what you've got. If you buy a wide lens simply for landscapes you are missing the point, an overwhelming number of landscapes have been done with lenses in the 24~90mm focal length range - anything wider or longer than that becomes rather specialized, and less likely to be used.
I agree! Crazy to use a wide angle or wider, the best way is to make a real pano, if you want it wide: set the camera vertically and shoot 3, 5...frames in manual and stitch them together (there's no parallax problem at that distance)... You avoid having the side distortions of a wide angle and only use the centre frame, crop the left overs... Other than that stick to your favorite 16-50 or 24-90.
12-29-2015, 07:33 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I wholeheartedly agree. Stich a few shots together to make a panorama unless you really want the near far distortion style shot. It's why I sold (and don't miss) the DA15, distant subjects were too minimized and edge sharpness too degraded.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
I'll probably mainly use my newly acquired 24-70mm with the caveat that I don't know yet how it performs on FF. On APS-C it is plenty sharp also at the wide end.

From the old days I have several primes from 20mm to 35mm (but I'd prefer the zoom for convenience). I will probably bring along the FA 20mm F2.8 to augment the 24-70mm at the wide end.
The DFA 24-70 is a lens I am seriously considering, although I currently have a Sigma 20-40 and 24-60. I'm worried the Sigma's won't handle flare very well, which is a shame because I love their rendering. I'm pretty sure I'll keep the 20-40 around much like I keep the Sigma 10-20 around, for those rare occasions, however the 24-60 may be on the marketplace in a few months. I've been really impressed with posted 24-70 samples.

I just wish it were a * lens. I'd have liked to see just HOW good a 24-70 lens Pentax could have produced, even it is was in the "L" glass price range. Add my Sigma 70mm Macro, an FA* 85mm and my Sigma 100-300 and that's a complete kit.
12-29-2015, 07:53 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
How this would compare to a well regarded SMC-M 20mm f4 ?
The M20 has two serious problems:
- field curvature and
- double distortion, which is very difficult to correct.

Both are not a problem with the Voigtlander (made by Cosina).

A long while ago I posted a review somewhere.
Here are my conclusions:

Conclusions:

1. Resolution
The Color Skopar is very sharp.
The Sigma comes out slightly worse at the corners at infinity. This is probably owing to the large aperture of the Sigma.
Otherwise the lenses show the same behavior.

2. Contrast
The Color Skopar shows very good contrast already wide open. I have tested the contrast against the Sigma. At f3.5 the Sigma has slightly better contrast at high frequencies, whereas the Color Skopar has slightly better contrast at low frequencies. The contrast increases somewhat at f8, most notably at at higher frequencies. The Sigma shows comparatively low contrast at f1.8, which was to be expected.

3. Distortion
The barrel distortion is noticable at close focussing distances. It is no problem at all at larger distances. The degree of distortion is about the same for the Color Skopar, the Sigma 20 and the DA21. Good, normal behavior for a wide-angle lens.

4. CAs
Chromatic aberrations are noticable at the corners of the image in strong contrast stiuations, but they are weak. Nothing to worry about.
Out of focus color fringes are basically not existent.

5. Flare
No flare detectable at all with the Color Skopar! Very good!

6. Bokeh
Difficult to judge. The circles of confusion show the concentric rings typical for an aspherical lens.
The circles are quite small. Bokeh is certainly not a speciality of this (type of) lens.

7. Vignetting
Normal behavior. As a full frame lens, vignetting is no problem at all for the Color Skopar on APS-C format. It shows a fall-off of about 25% in the extreme corners. This is hardly noticeable in the field. The DA21 is of course worse here (ca. 50%).
12-29-2015, 09:40 AM   #15
osv
Veteran Member

k28/3.5 or an m28/3.5, both rock on ff for landscapes