Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-30-2015, 03:42 PM - 1 Like   #1

pentax 16-85 vs samyang 16 at 16mm?

I have read some reviews about both lenses, but I am very curious, if somebody have an experience about the difference of image quality at 16mm.
I like the samyang's sample images more, but it is hard to compare without the same shots and the same settings. If there isn't big diffenrence, maybe I would by the pentax because of the wr, and the walk around usability, but it's much more expensive, and on the other hand, the samyang's f2 is very attractive, for indoor photography, and nice bokeh at close shots... (I think I would use the 16-85 at 16mm most of the time)

The 16-85 would be an upgrade from the 18-55WR, or the samyang would be my fast wide angle beside my kit lens. I cannot decide..

12-30-2015, 08:02 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the 16-85 looks like a nice zoom for outside shots. i tend to favor primes for faster (indoor) aperatures.
12-30-2015, 09:06 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pintax Quote
The 16-85 would be an upgrade from the 18-55WR, or the samyang would be my fast wide angle beside my kit lens. I cannot decide..
Not even debatable IMHO. I don't have the Samyang but regardless choosing a prime over the 16-85 makes no sense. The versatility of the 16-85 greatly out weighs the possible(debatable) IQ improvement. The 16mm Samyang is a specialty lens. The 16-85 is an all around lens. If you already had the 16-85, or another high quality zoom like the 16-50 or one of the 17-50's then OK adding a special purpose lens makes sense. But the 16-85 improves your IQ at all focal lengths, not just 16mm.
12-30-2015, 10:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Both lenses are stellar at what they do, and recommending one over the other would be simply revealing the bias of that particular shooter's needs. (You won't find that many Samyang shooters here, but there are many who shoot Pentax lenses nearly exclusively.)

Think only of your own needs, and the kit path you want to take in the future. If you are fairly sure that you will be satisfied with the relatively slow aperture of the 16-85 presumably as a replacement for the 18-55 kit - then that is your highest priority.

Keep in mind that even excellent fast UWA lenses are not going to give very good image quality until at least f/5.6, or more. The wide apertures help you focus, and are reserved for only very low light when stopping down isn't possible. While you can be quite sure that the Samyang prime will be considerably sharper than the zoom at any given aperture, you are still likely to end up with the desire for an 18-55 replacement. As you look down the road at upgrading your overall kit, you seem likely to consider an even wider prime to meet your needs (based on the comment that you would be shooting the zoom at 16mm much of the time). The Samyang 14mm is a very nice lens, as well, not to mention some even-wider angle options.

For most shooters, getting a high-quality kit replacement is first on their list. Right now, I think the 16-85 is the best option out there if lens speed isn't an over-riding issue. The "right" UWA prime is far-more challenging based on how your kit fills out over time, and your own shooting needs. A minor concern in this decision relates to the newness of the 16-85. Its pricing has declined considerably in recent months (as it is no longer considered just announced), and the pricing might still be dropping.

12-31-2015, 12:08 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I am very happy with my 16-85 and concur with what has been said above about it being a good step for you at this stage.I have also owned the 18-135 which others may suggest as a cheaper alternative but the image quality is not as good.
Haven't used the Samyang and couldn't therefore comment on it.
12-31-2015, 02:42 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you for the of course, I want to upgrade also my WR kitlens, and I think the 16-85 would be the best option for me, but it is too expensive for me with this aparture. Maybe I'll wait for another lens, or wait for the price reduction.

But the first thing I want to develop is the wide angle section, that's why I am thinking about killing two birds with one stone, but if the samyang is much sharper, I won't purchase now for the 16-85, maybe later.

(I was also thinking about the 14mm samyang, especially because if I will upgrade the kitlens, it would be nice a wider prime, but the samyang 16 is so much better quality, as I read the reviews... )
12-31-2015, 03:41 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by pintax Quote
I have read some reviews about both lenses, but I am very curious, if somebody have an experience about the difference of image quality at 16mm.
I like the samyang's sample images more, but it is hard to compare without the same shots and the same settings. If there isn't big diffenrence, maybe I would by the pentax because of the wr, and the walk around usability, but it's much more expensive, and on the other hand, the samyang's f2 is very attractive, for indoor photography, and nice bokeh at close shots... (I think I would use the 16-85 at 16mm most of the time)

Same here as for others...don't have the Samyang but do have the DA16-85. I can tell you that at 16mm my copy performs extremely well...and then I can zoom up to 85mm if needed and retain some seriously crisp images. In terms of versatility, I 'd go straight for the DA16-85 and then start saving for the DA15 !

---------- Post added 12-31-2015 at 03:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Both lenses are stellar at what they do, and recommending one over the other would be simply revealing the bias of that particular shooter's needs. (You won't find that many Samyang shooters here, but there are many who shoot Pentax lenses nearly exclusively.)

Think only of your own needs, and the kit path you want to take in the future. If you are fairly sure that you will be satisfied with the relatively slow aperture of the 16-85 presumably as a replacement for the 18-55 kit - then that is your highest priority.

Keep in mind that even excellent fast UWA lenses are not going to give very good image quality until at least f/5.6, or more. The wide apertures help you focus, and are reserved for only very low light when stopping down isn't possible. While you can be quite sure that the Samyang prime will be considerably sharper than the zoom at any given aperture, you are still likely to end up with the desire for an 18-55 replacement. As you look down the road at upgrading your overall kit, you seem likely to consider an even wider prime to meet your needs (based on the comment that you would be shooting the zoom at 16mm much of the time). The Samyang 14mm is a very nice lens, as well, not to mention some even-wider angle options.

For most shooters, getting a high-quality kit replacement is first on their list. Right now, I think the 16-85 is the best option out there if lens speed isn't an over-riding issue. The "right" UWA prime is far-more challenging based on how your kit fills out over time, and your own shooting needs. A minor concern in this decision relates to the newness of the 16-85. Its pricing has declined considerably in recent months (as it is no longer considered just announced), and the pricing might still be dropping.
Excellent advice.

12-31-2015, 04:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

If all you have is the 18-55mm kit lens, then get the zoom. It will offer you a lot and has a comfortable zoom range.
But if you will only use the zoom at 16mm or if you need f2, then get the prime and save some money. I think it would make more sense to ask between Samyang 16mm and Sigma 10-20mm or Sigma 8-16mm. Those are at least in the same general FoV. Buying a zoom lens for just one extreme is usually not the best move

I usually recommend primes and Samyang 16mm as a first UWA. But if you have the budget, and if you don't have many other lenses, then get the Pentax 16-85mm

Neither of these lenses will disappoint you at what they do. Its just that they do slightly different things
12-31-2015, 04:45 AM   #9

Original Poster
Mainly comparing this samles makes me unsure:
https://www.magezinepublishing.com/equipment/images/equipment/16mm-f20-ED-AS...1373266635.jpg
(with canon eos 600d)
https://www.magezinepublishing.com/equipment/images/equipment/HD-PENTAXDA-16...1432650163.jpg
(with pentax k3)

It is not just a little softer, it is quite terrible, comparing to the samyang... I even cannot belive this difference, that's why I am looking for more samples with the same conditions.

Yes, I was also thinking about the da15, but here is a comparison, which is conviced me about the samyang:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/130-lens-sample-photo-archive/245944-samyang-16mm-f-2-a.html

I like to prefer the optical quality over other features
12-31-2015, 07:59 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Those pictures are from ephotozone reviews. They may be a bitmisleading. The Samyang shot is at f8. The Pentax 16-85 is shot at f6.3. Moreover, the 16-85 shot seems more front focused. Look at the flower bed. They're equally sharp in both images. It's only the back building that's sharper in the Samyang shot.

Also consider that according to ephotozone's own "imatest" tests, the DA 16-85 is sharper, at 16mm, than the Samyang 16mm f2. Here's the graph for the DA 16-85:

And the graph for the Samyang 16mm:

I suspect that, in practice (assuming good technique), you're not going to see any significant difference, in terms of sharpness, between these two lenses. What you might see is better contrast and color rendition out of the DA 16-85, thanks to the superior anti-reflective HD coating technology used by the Pentax lens.

I would go with the DA 16-85 first, and then supplement that lens with various primes (or longer or wider zooms) as one's budget and needs dictate. The zoom will give you quality not only give you quality at 16mm, but at 17mm through 85mm as well. True, the zoom is "slow" in terms of aperture. But that's what primes are for. The DA 16-85 with a couple (or more) of fast primes constitutes a pretty solid, no-nonsense kit.
01-01-2016, 01:40 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thank you for the advices, I think I will purchase for the DA 16-85, just waiting a little for a lower price
01-01-2016, 03:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Yep, those photos with 16-85mm have more shallow DoF because aperture is wider. And they are more front focused instead of hyperfocal like the Samyang sample.
But the Samyang is still a great lens. I would expect it to still be slightly sharper than the zoom. And it has much brighter aperture. Its definitely not a bad lens, especially for the price. Budget is a factor to consider. That was one of the main reasons I went for the Samyang 14mm (back before the 16mm was on the market) instead of a Pentax 12-24mm or Pentax 14mm, 15mm prime. And I don't regret it