Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2015, 07:04 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Main difference between the two is strong "modeled" starbursts or not. I like starbursts of the SMC sometimes, sometimes they are too much for me. The red ringed star bursts look more natural to me. So I bought this one. An image produced with the red ringed and a little bit of starburst workout:

12-31-2015, 08:08 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shaolen Quote
What in the world is that
I would like to know that as well.
12-31-2015, 08:09 AM - 1 Like   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
I've decided that 2016 will be the Year of the DA 15 Limited for me. While I own a Sigma 10-20mm lens and really like its qualities, it's a large and rather heavy lens for when I want to carry a lighter kit. I've been using legacy primes this last year and really like their small size and quality build. But my wide angle manual is a M-28mm/2.8, and I'd like to have a wider angle light small lens as an alternative to the Sigma for times when bulk matters.

The DA 15 Limited keeps calling to me. I often look in on the lens club dedicated to the DA 15 Limited, and really like its qualities.

The decision facing me, however, is whether to go with the SMC version or the HD version. The difference in price between the new HD and good quality used SMC versions doesn't seem that great, and I haven't been able to determine if there's much difference in photo or lens quality from reading the reviews.

I've done some searching for threads discussing this but came up with nada, though I recognize that my search terms might not have been narrow enough. Please forgive me if this has been discussed before, but I'm hoping those of you who have experience of them both can offer an opinion. Does it matter? Should I simply buy whichever comes along when my piggybank will allow me to buy a copy? Or should I go with one over the other?
I think you'll be happy with either one, Tamia. This is an outstanding lens and is a pleasure to use.
12-31-2015, 10:29 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I would like to know that as well.
To be honest I just googled ugly camera and one of the first suggestions was that thing.

Whoa! One ugly camera.: Olympus SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

But yes to the topic on hand I think either lens will prove to be a gem for the OP.

12-31-2015, 12:19 PM - 1 Like   #20

This post will help you.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/282070-15-4...ml#post3068889
I also just bought an used black HD version 2 weeks ago!
12-31-2015, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Amarony Quote
Agree, love my silver HD. It renders colors like a champ.
QuoteOriginally posted by shaolen Quote
Yup! Its such a shame too because I like the silver but can't stand red ring
All I'm saying is the RED RING on the lens itself is fugly. If I wanted a red ring on my lenses than I'd sell all my Pentax gear.

That's all I'm saying
12-31-2015, 04:00 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have SMC and HD limiteds and I don't find the red ring off putting at all.

12-31-2015, 05:40 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks to you all -- your opinions are much appreciated. While I like starbursts, they would not be the main decider for me on which lens to buy. The takeaway message here seems to be that when the time comes for me to actually spring for the 15 Ltd, either the SMC or the HD model would do.
12-31-2015, 06:08 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
Thanks to you all -- your opinions are much appreciated. While I like starbursts, they would not be the main decider for me on which lens to buy. The takeaway message here seems to be that when the time comes for me to actually spring for the 15 Ltd, either the SMC or the HD model would do.
Yep. I had the same dilemma when I got an HD DA15 in June. All the talk was about the starbursts but when I actually got to use the lens, very few photos had them, and the ones that did were fine, rounded blades notwithstanding.
Get whatever has the best state/price/warranty and you'll be fine.
12-31-2015, 06:46 PM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

Personally, I think 2015 should have been the year of the 15 ltd.
12-31-2015, 08:33 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cxdoo Quote
Yep. I had the same dilemma when I got an HD DA15 in June. All the talk was about the starbursts but when I actually got to use the lens, very few photos had them, and the ones that did were fine, rounded blades notwithstanding.
Get whatever has the best state/price/warranty and you'll be fine.
This is encouraging. Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Personally, I think 2015 should have been the year of the 15 ltd.
I couldn't agree more, but now it's too late, Norm!