Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
01-02-2016, 07:26 PM   #16
Forum Member

the rokinon is really good at including the sun in the shot. i was firing directly at the summer sun on a cloudless day and the results werent bad considering. i was on a mountain overlooking water so i had to include the sun that time of day. i do agree the starburst from it was pleasing.

01-02-2016, 08:52 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks! That GIF provides helpful perspective. I followed your links and have tracked down the Panini projection you mention. I'm pretty good at tech stuff, but I can't figure out what program or how to use a program to apply that projection. I got the Hugin one to work, but I must be doing something wrong because results are not good. What tool exactly do you use? Is there a tutorial you can point me to? Thanks again.
01-03-2016, 03:09 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mgvh Quote
What tool exactly do you use?
I use Kolor Autopano Pro, which I use for panorama stitching anyway - so I can't really help you.

Perhaps a bit of Googling may help - loads of interesting hits come up : Defishing and Refishing with the Samyang 7.5/3.5, Panini-Pro Beta, Panini and many more.

Last edited by kh1234567890; 01-03-2016 at 05:20 AM.
01-03-2016, 11:34 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I've been impressed with the ease and quality produced by the (free) Microsoft Image Composite Editor (ICE).

01-03-2016, 12:14 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mgvh Quote
For now, for me, that means the DA 10-17 FE is the lens I'm going to carry around because of its size and versatility.
We have a winner
01-03-2016, 01:20 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
you aren't - I have the DA 10-17 and revel in its 'aberrations and distortions'..... I did not buy it to defish it....
Nor did I. Not as it's main function at least - I embrace its fishiness in most circumstances. However, it might make leaving a rectilinear wide angle at home a little easier to tolerate if the fish can substitute in a pinch with the right tools. So I'm following this discussion carefully.
01-03-2016, 11:48 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Nor did I. Not as it's main function at least - I embrace its fishiness in most circumstances. However, it might make leaving a rectilinear wide angle at home a little easier to tolerate if the fish can substitute in a pinch with the right tools. So I'm following this discussion carefully.
Exactly... and hence all my work at defishing.
I did spring for the DxO ViewPoint while it was still selling for $39. It can do a better job than what can be accomplished in LR with lens correction, but mainly it can do it more quickly. It also is much easier with shots that aren't simply distortion or vertical/horizontal issues. BUT, it only works on JPGs or TIFFs! I shoot DNG, so if I'm in Lightroom and want to use ViewPoint, it has to convert. A bit of a pain...
Still, it gives me confidence that I can leave my Sigma 10-20 at home and use the DA 10-17 as my UWA and whimsical lens.
Now I have something of a gap in field of view between the 10-17 FE at 17mm and my DA 18-135 at 18mm. I could see where the DA 16-85 would make a better partner.
Will the madness never end!?!?

01-06-2016, 07:55 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Update! Today I just took the DA 10-17 FE with me for a walk along the beach. (Family vacation in Puerto Rico!)
The lens did a great job, and for ocean type of scenery one might wonder whether those big horizons would work with a fisheye lens. Well, yes, it can do fisheye at 10mm. (BTW, thees are just quick edits w/ Faststone, so no lens correction or anything, and I'm viewing on a little tablet screen. I'm on vacation!)
Cf. first pic.
But it is nearly rectilinear at 17mm. And, with careful shooting, the fishiness can be 'hidden' when desired. The second pic is at 10mm and the third at at 11mm. I tried to set the horizon in the middle. I don't think they are very fishy at all except in the foreground, but even that looks fairly natural.

I had great fun with this lens today, and I really didn't have too many times when I was hoping for something longer except when I wanted something really long.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo