Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2016, 08:34 AM   #1

Adapted Lenses on the Pentax K mount

Is there any good reliable and updated source wherein one can know which current/latest lenses from Canon, Nikon, Sony or any non K-mount lenses work on the K-mount, using an adapter.

Which kind of Adapters are available for K-mount, are there inherent sacrifices in performance and capabilities which need to be done when using non K-mount lenses on K-mount.

Lens range and Lens availability has been an issue with Pentax (I am talking about Lenses with latest technology), when one compares it with likes of Nikon and Canon.

I have hears of Samsung and/or Sony mounts being able to be used with Canon mounts, to get a very practical and economical workable solution (lot of Sony and Samsung lenses are costly, Canon is very cost effective).

Is this possible with Pentax??

The Pentax K-S2 looks like a nice choice to get into Pentax world, so I was just thinking about various lens options, since Pentax lenses are a little hard to get, expensive comparatively either from original or 3rd party manufacturer. Also Canon and even Nikon have more options when it comes to Lens choice.

I would like to know if there are economical solutions with modern lenses working with their full capabilities, (working AF, focus to infinity, exposure metering etc.). I think it's been done with Samsung/Sony bodies with Canon lenses as mentioned above.

01-03-2016, 08:56 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Short answer: no.

Long(er) answer: Sony E-mount and Samsung NX-mount have much shorter register distances than older, SLR-based mounts. This makes it relatively easy to make an adapter to use SLR lenses on Sony or Samsung. K-mount is a legacy SLR-mount, with only a millimeter or two difference with Nikon F-, Canon EF-, or Minolta-A mount's register distance. Even a manual-focus adapter would require optics to maintain the register distance, with a resulting hit to image quality. In addition, Canon EF lenses use an electronic interface between lens and body, while Pentax uses a hybrid electronic/mechanical interface.
01-03-2016, 09:37 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Buy into a system that has the lenses you want. Adapting lenses is not the answer.
01-03-2016, 10:48 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Adapted lenses are attractive if you are using a mirrorless (short registration) mount such as the Sony A7. For K-mount it makes little sense unless you already own the glass and it is something rare and otherwise unavailable.

Curious what lenses you think Pentax is missing? Do you have something specific in mind or are you just going by hearsay? Certainly if you want a 600mm f/4 or a tilt / shift or something else exotic Pentax is not going to be your first choice but for general purpose glass I am at a loss to see what the problem is.

If you feel Canon is the most economical for glass perhaps it is best you just go with Canon. Adapting lenses is not going to be a viable solution.

01-03-2016, 11:11 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
That having been said, there are replacement mounts available for a handful of lenses from those brands as well as Leica, Zeiss, Vogtlander, etc. available through Leitax.com and other vendors. These will all be manual focus and manual aperture, and anything focus/aperture by wire can't be redone.
There is also the Adaptist Multi-mount. Adaptist - Home

You can mount Nikon F, Olympus OM, Contax/Yashica C/Y, Konica, and Four Thirds. Konica and Four Thirds are obviously only usable for macro.

QuoteQuote:
Please note the following for all adapted lenses:
- Autofocus is not available. Only manual focus is possible.
- Aperture control is manual and its availability is dependent on the adapted lens.
- All adapted lenses turn approximately 50 degrees clockwise to mount fully.
- All adapted mount lenses are secured by tension of the leaf springs inside the camera body.
- There is no lens release catch.
- Lens with guard at rear of mount extending more than 9mm cannot be mounted due to mirror box ( refer to diagram on right).
There is a version available for WR bodies, but the body is no longer WR once the mount is replaced.
01-03-2016, 11:11 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For adaptability, mirrorless is best due to the short registration distance. This means that it is easy to make an adapter. Some adapters offer some connectivity, but mostly there is none, it's just a mount. So stop down aperture priority is normally the mode used. I have adapters to most mounts for my Lumix G1, means I can play with and check out a huge variety of lenses. It's well known there are bargains to be had with lenses in less popular mounts like old canon cfd, Minolta MD, konica AR. And I have next to nothing invested in the camera it was a s/h purchase on ebay from a cash converter. In fact it is easy to pick up a G1 for a hundred bucks or less, it was a successful camera and there are plenty drifting on to the s/h market. Only thing against it - M43 sensor means that it's not a camera for wide angle (with adapted lenses), even a 24mm is ~ normal FoV on M43.
Otherwise DSLR's are pretty much mount specific. Exception is canon, that has the shortest registration distance and the widest throat, meaning that the longer registration distance mounts like Nikon F, old Olympus OM, contax-Yashica and even pentax K can be mounted with a simple adapter, easily obtained off ebay, amazon etc. Otherwise you are committed to modern lenses of the correct mount*, except with Nikon and Pentax, who have not changed the mechanical fit of their F mount and K mount respectively. So legacy lenses from the film era can be mounted. However things like aperture and other connections did change and how each change/generation of lens fits and works on a dslr has to be figured out. Overall, the best system for legacy lens compatibility is .... PENTAX! All K mount and M42 lenses (the latter with an adapter) can be mounted and used.
*addendum for most cameras it is possible to acquire an adapter for the ubiquitous M42 screw mount. Depending on the registration distances infinity focus may be lost without optical correction.

Last edited by marcusBMG; 01-03-2016 at 11:22 AM.
01-03-2016, 11:39 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
For adaptability, mirrorless is best due to the short registration distance. This means that it is easy to make an adapter. Some adapters offer some connectivity, but mostly there is none, it's just a mount. So stop down aperture priority is normally the mode used. I have adapters to most mounts for my Lumix G1, means I can play with and check out a huge variety of lenses. It's well known there are bargains to be had with lenses in less popular mounts like old canon cfd, Minolta MD, konica AR. And I have next to nothing invested in the camera it was a s/h purchase on ebay from a cash converter. In fact it is easy to pick up a G1 for a hundred bucks or less, it was a successful camera and there are plenty drifting on to the s/h market. Only thing against it - M43 sensor means that it's not a camera for wide angle (with adapted lenses), even a 24mm is ~ normal FoV on M43.
Otherwise DSLR's are pretty much mount specific. Exception is canon, that has the shortest registration distance and the widest throat, meaning that the longer registration distance mounts like Nikon F, old Olympus OM, contax-Yashica and even pentax K can be mounted with a simple adapter, easily obtained off ebay, amazon etc. Otherwise you are committed to modern lenses of the correct mount*, except with Nikon and Pentax, who have not changed the mechanical fit of their F mount and K mount respectively. So legacy lenses from the film era can be mounted. However things like aperture and other connections did change and how each change/generation of lens fits and works on a dslr has to be figured out. Overall, the best system for legacy lens compatibility is .... PENTAX! All K mount and M42 lenses (the latter with an adapter) can be mounted and used.
*addendum for most cameras it is possible to acquire an adapter for the ubiquitous M42 screw mount. Depending on the registration distances infinity focus may be lost without optical correction.
also with MFTs the noise performance isnt that good due to smaller sensor, and depth of field on FF or APSC will be better. something like Sony A6000 or alpha FF or samsung NX1 would be good. (but I've read reports that Samsung's closing it's NX business altogether)

one reason I'm hesitant about Canon is it's not-so-good noise performance when compared to Nikon and Pentax, & I dont want to go FF right now.
One good "path" could be first buy Pentax APSC and then go for Canon FF, I guess one can easily use Pentax lens on Canon with full capabilities and performance with a mount - hassle free. (but by then Pentax might have established it's own ground with K-1 or it's successor)
01-03-2016, 12:01 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by anu l Quote
also with MFTs the noise performance isnt that good due to smaller sensor, and depth of field on FF or APSC will be better. something like Sony A6000 or alpha FF or samsung NX1 would be good. (but I've read reports that Samsung's closing it's NX business altogether)
Certainly the G1 is a lot noisier than my K5. But then my APSC samsung NX20 is also noisier than the K5, though less so than the G1 (not sure why that is, it's sensor is if anything newer than the K5's - the K5 seems to be particularly good).
Depth of field on eg FF will be better for the same focal length. But for the same field of view, DoF will be much greater on the smaller sensors.
All depends what your priorities are: cost, versatility, IQ, MPx, ..... I don't have direct experience with Sony and Fuji mirrorless but my impression is that the end IQ is certainly better than M43, and probably Samsung.

01-03-2016, 01:33 PM   #9
osv
Veteran Member

One good "path" could be first buy Pentax APSC and then go for Canon FF, I guess one can easily use Pentax lens on Canon with full capabilities and performance with a mount - hassle free.
you are claiming that you'll have af with pentax lenses on a canon ef body?? what about pentax lenses that don't have aperture rings? even if you could use pentax legacy glass on canon, you'd still be stuck with manual focusing using an ovf.

adapting lenses to any ovf body is an attractive option if you already own a high-end slr, but in the long run you are much better off starting off with mirrorless, and sony ff is by far the best mirrorless option... if you are on a budget, start off with a used a7 body.

i've seen several used a7r bodies going for $1,100 or less, both on craiglist and on fredmiranda.com... a7r has it's eccentricities, but 36mp ff is nothing to sneeze at, and manual focus at 14.4x in the evf is incredibly accurate.
01-03-2016, 01:38 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Take a look at this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/96884-...sions-lba.html

I think you should make your own decision if the loss of Image Quality is acceptable or not. Seems to me these days there is too much emphasis on Image Quality rather than the quality of the image
01-04-2016, 11:26 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Adapted lenses are attractive if you are using a mirrorless (short registration) mount such as the Sony A7. For K-mount it makes little sense unless you already own the glass and it is something rare and otherwise unavailable.

Curious what lenses you think Pentax is missing? Do you have something specific in mind or are you just going by hearsay? Certainly if you want a 600mm f/4 or a tilt / shift or something else exotic Pentax is not going to be your first choice but for general purpose glass I am at a loss to see what the problem is.
Pentax does cover pretty much the whole range, but I still think Canon and Nikon have more variety,

secondly 3rd party Lens support (at least in my region - India) is pretty bad.

the Availability is bad and so is the Pricing.

Pentax's own lenses are more costly than their CaNikon counterparts, lot of them aren't available, and newer one's are released way late. (e.g. there's still there's no 55-300 (red ringed) WR lens available in india). I can get the 18-50 + 50-200 if I go with K-S2, and the nifty-fifty is nicely priced, after that it's more or less a struggle. I would have liked if they had included the 55-300 instead of 50-200 as a kit.

for me I would like the ultra wide angle, something like 10-20 or 12-24 priced like the Canon, or even the Nikon. and more options so i have more possibility to make a little economical investment.

If you feel Canon is the most economical for glass perhaps it is best you just go with Canon. Adapting lenses is not going to be a viable solution.
01-04-2016, 11:55 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax does cover pretty much the whole range, but I still think Canon and Nikon have more variety,
They do. If you need that, then you have answered your own question, go with Canon.

One often repeated suggestion is to work up the lenses you want now and within a few years. Add up the price of those on both systems and go with the best choice. Basically pick the lenses you need and then buy the camera body that fits them.

I've no idea about pricing or availability in India of course. Here availability is almost only online, no stores actually stock Pentax. And if you compare lens prices for the same quality lens they are quite similar.

Maybe you could write to Pentax India and ask about availability and pricing. Otherwise, you have to go with what is available to you. And realistically for most of us there are no bad cameras today, you will get good images from all the brands. I stay with Pentax because I like the ergonomics better than other brands and so far they suit my needs. If that changed so would I, the brand should be immaterial to the effort of taking pictures.
01-06-2016, 11:08 AM   #13

Original Poster
What made me look at Pentax

They do. If you need that, then you have answered your own question, go with Canon.

One often repeated suggestion is to work up the lenses you want now and within a few years. Add up the price of those on both systems and go with the best choice. Basically pick the lenses you need and then buy the camera body that fits them.

I've no idea about pricing or availability in India of course. Here availability is almost only online, no stores actually stock Pentax. And if you compare lens prices for the same quality lens they are quite similar.

Maybe you could write to Pentax India and ask about availability and pricing. Otherwise, you have to go with what is available to you. And realistically for most of us there are no bad cameras today, you will get good images from all the brands. I stay with Pentax because I like the ergonomics better than other brands and so far they suit my needs. If that changed so would I, the brand should be immaterial to the effort of taking pictures.
What attracted me towards Pentax is the sheer amount of features they put into an entry-level or upper entry level camera, lot of which CaNikons reserve only for mid and high range. Before this I was really interested in the Nikon D5500, no doubt it's Image quality is top class, but the feature set was very restricted and Live view isnt really 'Live'. I would call K-S2 a mid-range and a D5500 an entry level.

As far as Canon is concerned, one thing which I dont like is the RAW noise performance. I may have a second look at 750D/T6i.

While you would find many reviews of D5500 giving a pat on the back of Nikon for including the intervalometer, Pentax doesn't even bother to mention it - it's a routine for them, they have better things to show off.

Another reason for me liking Pentax is that in my country, this is the first release in my knowledge which is comparatively priced and not released too late.
Here the K-3 with 18-135 costs more then the Nikon D610 full frame body only, and around doubly as costly as K-s2 with 18-50+50-200. (online price)

There is no sign of K-3 II releasing anytime soon here.

Last edited by anu l; 01-06-2016 at 11:22 AM.