Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2016, 08:08 AM   #16
Pentaxian

MHSP.. Another word of advise.. I suggest not uploading your photos directly to this site as it has a tendency to soften the photos which compounds any problems. It is best to use a web site that doesn't soften them then link your photos from that.

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
EDIT: not trying to argue, here - I just think there are a lot of factors at play, and we obviously have a different opinion on the images (which is all well and good)
Me either... and I agree. we all learn from our mistakes and what others provide.

Edit; One thing I have taken from others is to set my K3 ll on Multi AWB. So far I am liking that setting.

Time to go play with my new arrived Siggy 10-20mm EX DC.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 01-05-2016 at 08:17 AM.
01-05-2016, 08:17 AM   #17
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
One thing I have taken from others is to set my K3 ll on Multi AWB. So far I am liking that setting.

Time to go play with my new arrived Siggy 10-20mm Hsm DC.
Multi AWB is excellent. When I have time, I tend to manually set the white balance using a grey card, but more often than not I use Multi AWB, and it's very rare that I need to tweak the balance afterwards.

Enjoy your Sigma!
01-05-2016, 12:44 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Multi AWB, how does that work, it sounds too much like hocus pocus to me. Under difficult lighting conditions, setting the WB manually with a white card solved the issue quite satisfactorily when I was shooting with the K20D. I don't have the K3II, if anyone can enlighten me of the advantage of having multi AWB, I'd appreciate it.
01-05-2016, 01:11 PM   #19
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Multi AWB, how does that work, it sounds too much like hocus pocus to me. Under difficult lighting conditions, setting the WB manually with a white card solved the issue quite satisfactorily when I was shooting with the K20D. I don't have the K3II, if anyone can enlighten me of the advantage of having multi AWB, I'd appreciate it.
I agree that using a white or grey card is the best way to go for absolute accuracy in white balance, if time permits. It's what I use when I have time for a considered shot. But who of us has time to repeatedly use that method when walking around with our camera? Multi AWB analyses multiple reference points in the frame - which could contain different lighting sources - and comes up with what it believes to be the best compromise across different areas of the image. Most of the time, standard AWB works just fine, but there are situations where Multi AWB achieves a better balance. Interestingly, there are also a few occasions (just a very few, mind you) where I've had Multi AWB calculate a worse balance than regular AWB. No system is perfect.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-05-2016 at 01:20 PM.
01-05-2016, 01:13 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good constructive thoughts all round. Yes, the HDR effect can be good, but sometimes, it can make an image plasticy - unnatural. Perhaps the thing that seemed odd to me was the amount of black in the image and no signs of shadow to compliment the naturally occurring blacks. The shadow would have helped soften the otherwise bright effect of the HDR. But that would be hard to do given the all or nothing HDR effect.
01-05-2016, 04:09 PM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
Got some photos that I took today coming in just a bit that are not processed at all and have my Camera set already today as you suggested BigMackCam
01-05-2016, 04:34 PM - 3 Likes   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
Here are few of what I took today
Attached Images

01-05-2016, 04:35 PM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
One more

Attached Images

01-05-2016, 04:38 PM   #24
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow. All of these are great, but #1 and #5 are beautiful, and I like #4 very much also. #1 is my favourite - so much to like here, particularly the reflection of the sky and foliage in the water and that amazing curve of the bridge. What was the location, out of interest? And are these all with the DA 20-40?

Now, if you want to play around with some subtle post-processing, go for it (personally, I wouldn't, as these work just as they are - but it can be fun). The important thing is, you have the fundamental images locked down to start with, and they look *good*.

Nice work - go get 'em!!!

EDIT: I have some people here with me right now, and they also *love* photo #1

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-05-2016 at 04:54 PM.
01-05-2016, 04:46 PM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
BigMackCam the bridge was located in Bogalusa La crossing over the Pear River from Cross Roads Mississippi into Bogalusa . All the other photos were taken in Bogalusa, La. The camera was the K3II and the lens was the 20-40mm all them were ISO 100 and f/11
01-05-2016, 05:04 PM   #26
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mhsp Quote
BigMackCam the bridge was located in Bogalusa La crossing over the Pear River from Cross Roads Mississippi into Bogalusa . All the other photos were taken in Bogalusa, La. The camera was the K3II and the lens was the 20-40mm all them were ISO 100 and f/11
It's a very appealing location and subject - thanks for the info I like the way the 20-40 performs at all apertures, but if edge-to-edge sharpness is important, it works best between f/5.6 and f/11, with f/8 being optimal throughout most of the focal length range. For scenes like that bridge with so much depth, f/11 was a perfect choice, and it works well for the others too - but if you find yourself needing the extra light and don't mind less depth of field, anything from f/5.6 will give you great results too.

Again, well done - I liked your original images, but these are *really* nice
01-05-2016, 05:06 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Very nice shots, 1 and 4 are sublime!
01-05-2016, 05:13 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
One of the best things about this lens is the Clarity. I wouldn't use it to take dreamy portraits though.
01-05-2016, 05:27 PM   #29
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
One of the best things about this lens is the Clarity. I wouldn't use it to take dreamy portraits though.
Agreed. The contrast of the 20-40 is lovely...
01-05-2016, 06:11 PM   #30
Forum Member

Original Poster
I really like this lens from my first experience so far. Can't wait to do some work that I can spend time with and work photos as the light changes. I want to thank all of you for your advice, encouragement and help. All the comments made me stop and evaluate what I was or needed to do. Thanks again.