Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
01-04-2016, 08:41 PM   #1
Forum Member

Lens Test

Lens Test

Just wanted to share something that exited me! I took my Pentax K3II and my new Pentax DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited WR (weather proof) Lens that came in this evening an attached it to my camera and stood in low light and took a photo of a painting on a wall in my house ISO 3200 40mm f/4 1/8 and IT WAS HAND HELD! Look at the detail on the writing in the painting. I am blown away that I hand held this camera at these settings in a room with two Incandescent Light Bulbs in a fixture behind me and slightly above me to my right.

I did no noise reduction processing in this photo - this is cool indeed Can't wait to be able to go out and do some photos with this lens.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
01-04-2016, 09:07 PM   #2
Pentaxian

more picture welcome
01-04-2016, 09:15 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Soon OoKU
01-04-2016, 10:55 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Here are three I took this afternoon before sunset when I got the new 20-40mm

Attached Images

01-04-2016, 11:00 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Beautiful! Congratulations on your new lens. Enjoy!
01-04-2016, 11:19 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by mhsp Quote
Here are three I took this afternoon before sunset when I got the new 20-40mm
Congrats on the new lens, but those images hurt my eyes to look at.
01-05-2016, 02:50 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Why do they look so unnatural?

01-05-2016, 03:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wonder if HDR mode was used? The highlights on the azalea seem to be blown?
01-05-2016, 06:38 AM   #9
Pentaxian

word of advise, take better control of your DOF. Had you have used smaller apertures instead of making the mistake of trying to capture wider open with your new lens your results would have been much better. Wider is fine to use when you want to isolate a subject but not good otherwise.
01-05-2016, 07:02 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
These are HDR processed in the computer. I like HDR. Smaller apertures are needed. The Azalea is blown. Took these with a limited time, rushed them. Thanks for the comments
01-05-2016, 07:08 AM   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
word of advise, take better control of your DOF. Had you have used smaller apertures instead of making the mistake of trying to capture wider open with your new lens your results would have been much better. Wider is fine to use when you want to isolate a subject but not good otherwise.
I don't see any DOF issue with the landscape photos of the house and woods? The coloring / contrast / overall processing is quite strong, but the DOF seems pretty good. With the shot of the flower, I'd look to use the a wider aperture (if available) to blur the background a little more...

@mhsp - congratulations on the lens! That indoor photo of your (very nice) painting shows what a great combination the K3II and DA20-40 can be. Enjoy!
01-05-2016, 07:14 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the comment BigMackCam
01-05-2016, 07:30 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I don't see any DOF issue with the landscape photos of the house and woods? The coloring / contrast / overall processing is quite strong, but the DOF seems pretty good. With the shot of the flower, I'd look to use the a wider aperture (if available) to blur the background a little more...

@mhsp - congratulations on the lens! That indoor photo of your (very nice) painting shows what a great combination the K3II and DA20-40 can be. Enjoy!
The first photo in the woods I would agree the depth of field is fine but the shot over all is completely blurry, in conjunction with the processing being somewhat too strong for my taste. The floral photo the depth of field is incorrect, and would go along with my suggest of using wider to isolate the subject. Here again the over all appears out of focus. The third photo, unless the subject was the the foreground that is semi in focus then there is a lack of control over the depth of field.

Of course if one liked that dreamy blurred look then I guess one would find these to their liking.
01-05-2016, 07:36 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Oldbayrunner, I will address these issues today and see if I can do better with this lens.
01-05-2016, 07:39 AM   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
The first photo in the woods I would agree the depth of field is fine but the shot over all is completely blurry, in conjunction with the processing being somewhat too strong for my taste. The floral photo the depth of field is incorrect, and would go along with my suggest of using wider to isolate the subject. Here again the over all appears out of focus. The third photo, unless the subject was the the foreground that is semi in focus then there is a lack of control over the depth of field.

Of course if one liked that dreamy blurred look then I guess one would find these to their liking.
I hear what you're saying, though describing the shots as "completely blurry" or having a "dreamy blurred look" is a bit strong, in my view. We don't know what sharpening and noise reduction has or hasn't been used, the level of JPG compression etc. And if the overall image appears blurry to you, that would suggest something other than DOF, surely? Nor do I see the floral photo DOF as being "incorrect" - rather, I think it would be improved with a narrower DOF... Like you, I feel the processing is too strong for my taste, although I really do like the first photo in the woods...

EDIT: not trying to argue, here - I just think there are a lot of factors at play, and we obviously have a different opinion on the images (which is all well and good)

---------- Post added 01-05-2016 at 02:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mhsp Quote
Thanks Oldbayrunner, I will address these issues today and see if I can do better with this lens.
Just a suggestion - while the in-camera JPG filters are fun and can be used to great effect, as a general rule I would concentrate on taking images so that they look as natural as possible - either as RAW, or JPG with no filters added and the colour balance set to "Natural" and white balance set to AWB. Then, when you're completely happy with the fundamentals of the image, carry out some gentle post-processing out of camera (to optimise exposure, contrast, shadows and highlights, noise reduction, sharpening etc.) using any of the free image processing applications, or - if you're happy to pay for them - something like Lightroom or Photoshop. The resolution of the K3II sensor, and the quality of that DA20-40 lens, will come to the fore if you do this

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-05-2016 at 08:00 AM.