Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2016, 06:22 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
D-FA 24-70 f/2.8
D-FA 70-200 f /.8
D-FA 150-450 f/4.5-5.6

I would acquire those lenses in the nearest couple of years after the purchase of the FF camera. And maybe, some day later Sigma 85 f/1.4 and some 300 mm prime. But I would not be in a hurry, since I have not seen how these lenses perform on the upcoming body.

01-07-2016, 06:41 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To be honest, I'm not sure I ever really left FF because I still mostly use my lenses from my film days. lol I'm one who plans to move to the Pentax FF at some point in the near future and will be curious to see which lenses work...and which don't. Until otherwise, my FF line-up will be: 16mm Zenitar, K24 f2.8, M35 f.2, M50 f1.7, K50 f4 macro, M85 f2, FA100 f2.8 macro, A*200 f2.8...with a number of other zooms and primes thrown in around the edges. Frankly, I don't know how things will shake out. I know that my lens choices changed quite a bit when I went from film to digital and I'm expecting a similar change moving from APS-C to FF.
01-07-2016, 07:07 AM   #48
Veteran Member

I'm surprised to see how many manual focus lenses people are talking about using on FF. If that works for you then great, but for myself I think I would find it tedious and impractical to be focusing manually so much. Especially with how sensitive these high resolution sensors to perfect focus.
01-07-2016, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I'm surprised to see how many manual focus lenses people are talking about using on FF. If that works for you then great, but for myself I think I would find it tedious and impractical to be focusing manually so much. Especially with how sensitive these high resolution sensors to perfect focus.
In my experience, I've found it just as hard or harder to get my auto-focus lenses to focus exactly where I want, as opposed to just doing it myself. For general, wide-angle shots, it's not an issue. But when I'm shooting things where 1/2" makes a difference...and I may not want the focus point to be on the most obvious thing...it's a problem.

01-07-2016, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Nice collection. You should try the ZK 35 some time.

What do you think of the 43 compared to the ZK 50 or DA*55? Also, how does the ZK 28 compare to the FA31, they're pretty close in specs, but perhaps not style.
I used to own two Zeiss ZK 35mm f/2 lenses. Before that I owned the Nikon version of this lens. While technically sharp, it seemed to have a bit more of what I'd call a sterile clinical look to its' images as compared with the Hollywood Zeiss ZK 28mm f/2 lens. Also, I prefer the 25/28 field of views on full frame to the 35's.

I reserve judgement on the ZK28 vs FA31 until after I have used them extensively on full frame. They are both excellent on APS-C bodies, but where they will likely differentiate themselves or not will be on full frame.

FA43 vs ZK50 vs DA55. The DA55 is clearly the sharpest and has the best bokeh (although it has horrible fringing on high contrast edges). The ZK50 has a softer/gentler rendering that I believe will shine on full frame videos. Frankly, the FA43 is probably the lens in my current collection that I am least impressed with - only slightly better than average sharpness and in my opinion it has little if any of the famous pixie dust that the FA31 has.
01-07-2016, 01:25 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
In my experience, I've found it just as hard or harder to get my auto-focus lenses to focus exactly where I want, as opposed to just doing it myself. For general, wide-angle shots, it's not an issue. But when I'm shooting things where 1/2" makes a difference...and I may not want the focus point to be on the most obvious thing...it's a problem.
This is why I'm loving my Panasonic GX7 so much these days. It has the accuracy of mirrorless, and having the ability to touch the screen to pick your precise focus point is great. You can easily increase or decrease the size of the focus point too.
01-07-2016, 01:40 PM   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If I ever can afford it I would use exactly all the lenses I now have. Every one was made for FF. Most are branded Takumar. The wide ones will give me the wideness they were designed to give.

01-07-2016, 09:50 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I used to own two Zeiss ZK 35mm f/2 lenses. Before that I owned the Nikon version of this lens. While technically sharp, it seemed to have a bit more of what I'd call a sterile clinical look to its' images as compared with the Hollywood Zeiss ZK 28mm f/2 lens. Also, I prefer the 25/28 field of views on full frame to the 35's.

I reserve judgement on the ZK28 vs FA31 until after I have used them extensively on full frame. They are both excellent on APS-C bodies, but where they will likely differentiate themselves or not will be on full frame.

FA43 vs ZK50 vs DA55. The DA55 is clearly the sharpest and has the best bokeh (although it has horrible fringing on high contrast edges). The ZK50 has a softer/gentler rendering that I believe will shine on full frame videos. Frankly, the FA43 is probably the lens in my current collection that I am least impressed with - only slightly better than average sharpness and in my opinion it has little if any of the famous pixie dust that the FA31 has.
Thanks for the assessments. The 43/50/55 differences make sense. I had a 43 once and wasn't all that impressed - to each their own. I'm actually considering the ZK 50/2 macro now, but that may be "sterile" as well. I've really enjoyed the ZK 35, but hadn't compared it to the 28, now you've got me curious.

I'll try to remember to catch up with you again later this year - we have similar taste, and that ZK 28 vs FA 31 will be quite the battle.
01-07-2016, 11:01 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
I'm actually considering the ZK 50/2 macro now,
Brilliant lens in every regard (optically and mechanically), but it was just lacking a little something for me (particularly for the cost) in that I thought the rendering of my FA limiteds (31, 77) was warmer and had more character. Can't put my finger on exactly what it was, I just preferred images from the FA limiteds when the rubber hit the road. Probably a matter of personal taste.
01-07-2016, 11:45 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Stagnant Quote
D-FA 24-70 f/2.8

And maybe, some day later Sigma 85 f/1.4 and some 300 mm prime. But I would not be in a hurry, since I have not seen how these lenses perform on the upcoming body.
I have the 85mm since several months ago ( with the K3 ) and i love it.. its a great great great lens, great colors, IQ,sharp, the bokeh is really nice, it is fast and silent.. If you can get it go for it.. its a perfect lens for portraits.

The 24-70 i bought it 2 weeks ago and so far i like it a lot, colors are wonderfull ( icompare the colors between the FA 50 1.4 and this D-FA lens and is night/day difference ), also really fast, really sharp, is most have lens for the FF.
01-08-2016, 02:56 AM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bpv_UW Quote
Your planned FF lens line up
I don't plan any lens line up, with my advanced LBA more lenses keep appearing. I'm more than covered for all focal lengths I use but it won't stop the flow.
Glenn