Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-05-2016, 12:57 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
K20D lens advice needed.

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

As a very new owner of my first DSLR, albeit an older model, I'd like to get a few modern lenses to complement my range of "old glass".

I'd prefer to have auto/manual focussing and maybe the ability of the camera to set a fixed aperture - I have already got a Pentax DA 18-55mm, 1/3.5-5.6, and a Sigma DL 100-300m 1/4.5-6.7, but have little understanding of the varied designations mentioned in these Fora, like DA, DL, etc., as they might be suitable to fit my K20D.

A little advice/explanation would be awfully useful. And I should mention that my budget is limited to largely considering used lenses, probably mostly plastic built, although I do really prefer the solid metal of my old glass !

Dan.

01-05-2016, 01:12 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations on the K20D! It's an older model but it's a great camera. I love mine.

This helped me tremendously: Pentax K20D Guide

This is where I learned about exposure: Photo Basics #1: Introduction and Exposure - Improve Photography

Finally, to use old manual lenses read this from the Ricoh/Pentax support site: Using Older Lenses on Pentax K10D, K200D, K20D | Ricoh Imaging Support

Now regarding lenses:
I would get a 50mm (preferrably the SMC Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7 which is fantastic, for about 35-50 dollars) and a 28mm lens (like the SMC Pentax-M 28mm f/2.8 for about 50 dollars or the SMC Pentax-M 28mm f/3.5 for about 60-80 dollars). These are the most band for the buck lenses - high quality images and all metal build, and will be perfect to get you started.

The 28mm will give you a "normal" FOV (field of view) on the K20D for general shooting, while the 50mm will give you a short telephoto with great bokeh and subject isolation for portraits.

In addition to Pentax manual lenses, I also like manual lenses from Sears (called Auto Sears lenses), Tokina and Ricoh (called Rikenons - watch out for the P models which have a pin that can get stuck on your camera!). There's also good lenses out there from Sigma, Tamron and Vivitar.

Good luck hunting and be careful with LBA (Lens Buying Addiction)!
01-05-2016, 01:25 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Here's an overview of the different Pentax lens series:

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

As for lenses, I'd start by adding a prime lens to your kit. The DA 35mm F2.4 and DA50 F1.8 offer amazing performance for the price.

After that, I'd recommend upgrading your everyday lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-05-2016, 02:16 PM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations on your K20D. I've never owned one (I joined the Pentax crowd a little later on), but I know those who have them love them!

In recommending lenses, it would help to know what styles of photography you're hoping to concentrate on, as there's such a wide choice of lenses available, but many are good for specific things.

One recommendation I would make unreservedly is the Pentax DA 35mm f/2.4 AL. It's a prime lens with a fairly wide maximum aperture, and it is sharp even at f/2.4 - though gets even better once you stop down to f/4. Auto-focus is reliably accurate and quick. The 35mm focal length on your K20D will be perfect for general photography. It's one of Pentax's "plastic fantastic" models, but quite well built for all that. And, optically, it's really very good. I also have the *much* more expensive DA 35mm f/2.8 Limited, and while that's a lovely piece of glass with a much better build quality, I actually prefer using the cheaper lens (many here may disagree, but that's how I roll ).

The DA 50mm f/1.8 is also well worth owning, particularly for portrait work but also as a general use lens. I only bought mine recently (late last year), but it has already replaced the Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7 (the one ChristianRock mentions above) as my favourite 50mm. Again, it's all plastic except for the excellent optics. Autofocus is good, though it can sometimes be a little undecided compared to the 35mm. However, it's a pleasure to use with manual focus too. Useable wide open at f/1.7, very good from f/2.8 and phenomenal around f/4-5.6.

Both these lenses are bargains even if you buy them new (shop around as prices vary quite a bit), but used examples can be had cheaper still.

EDIT: I forgot to mention... one of my reasons for recommending both of these is that they are primes (ie. single focal length) rather than zooms. There are some excellent zoom lenses around, but - as a general rule - good quality primes tend to be faster and offer superior image quality. Plus, you'll become less dependent on zooming and start using your feet more to get closer to, or further away from, your subjects. You'll discover a whole new view of things which can be very beneficial to your photographic technique and satisfaction

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-05-2016 at 02:43 PM.
01-05-2016, 02:30 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You will get far too many suggestions, but I will add mine and suggest considering something wider than 18mm might expand your vision. The best deal would probably be a second-hand Sigma 10~20mm. The Pentax 15mm has a cult following, but even second-hand it is expensive. The Samyang 14mm (manual focus) goes for about $300 new. Don't know if that's within your budget. The Samyang 10mm goes for about $500 new. Samyang lenses have very good reputations if you can afford them and are willing to use manual focus (not so critical with WA).
01-05-2016, 02:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Without knowing your preferences it's a bit hard to advise, but an old manual 35 or 50mm prime lens will go well. The beauty of the old primes is that you can re-sell them for the same price you paid for them if you want to move on to something else or they don't suit your needs.

Sigma/Tamron 17-50 and 70-200 F2.8 lenses will give you massive leaps in image quality in the focal lengths you currently have, but before going to that expense I'd start with the little primes and the lenses you have (pretty much like I did!)
01-05-2016, 03:36 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks to all for the info so far. Any notes on longer stuff ? - between 100mm and 400mm for bird pics. ?
e.g. this --
Pentax DA-L 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED AL Lens

Dan

Last edited by danmdan; 01-05-2016 at 05:48 PM.
01-05-2016, 03:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by danmdan Quote
between 100mm and 400mm for bird pics
For around $800 used, Sigma 50-500 or a DA* 300.
01-05-2016, 04:13 PM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks to all for the info so far. Any notes on longer stuff ? - between 100mm and 400mm for bird pics. ? A mirror ?

Dan
Dan, at the budget end of the range, I recommend one of the Pentax DA 55-300 variants. It's not that fast, but optically it's very good. If you can live without water resistance, you can pick up the more basic versions of this lens quite cheaply here in the UK and they're almost identical, optically. I have the HD DA 55-300 WR and it's excellent. It's not as good as the DA* 300mm f/4 prime, but you wouldn't expect it to be for the price. Then again, it's not a million miles away in terms of IQ, and many people are producing stunning bird shots with it. It's decent at 300mm, plus you can use it at the wider end for portraits and general photography. Check out the review.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-05-2016 at 04:26 PM.
01-05-2016, 04:22 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Of course you already have a 100~300, so if that is satisfactory, I'd advise going wider before going longer. However, if you to upgrade the telephoto end I second the 55~300 recommended by BigMackCam. Here's an image taken with the original version of the lens @ 300mm mounted on a K20D.

---------- Post added 01-05-16 at 06:32 PM ----------

BTW: Currently in the "FOR SALE" section there's a 14mm f2.8 for $270 and a 15mm f4 for $279. The 14mm is bulky, the 15mm is a compact gem.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 01-29-2016 at 12:32 PM.
01-05-2016, 08:47 PM   #11

As a very new owner of my first DSLR, albeit an older model, I'd like to get a few modern lenses to complement my range of "old glass".

I'd prefer to have auto/manual focussing and maybe the ability of the camera to set a fixed aperture - I have already got a Pentax DA 18-55mm, 1/3.5-5.6, and a Sigma DL 100-300m 1/4.5-6.7, but have little understanding of the varied designations mentioned in these Fora, like DA, DL, etc., as they might be suitable to fit my K20D.

A little advice/explanation would be awfully useful. And I should mention that my budget is limited to largely considering used lenses, probably mostly plastic built, although I do really prefer the solid metal of my old glass !

Dan.
I suggest you hold off on new lenses and shoot with what you've got first. Your 18-55 and 100-300 cover your range. Take some pictures and see what you feel you are lacking. In general, you have a good range. What I see you are missing is a fast lens for indoor shows and events. You said you wanted auto/manual focus and camera set aperture that means you want an F, FA or DA lens in addition to the two you have. To fill the speed gap you should look for something faster ( f:2.8 or lower). KEH has 40 mm DA X for about $140. The 40 is a great lens. In would fill the aperture gap in your two lens but th 50 mm DA others have suggested will as well. However, I find the 50 although faster (f:1.8) to be cramped in doors for shows and dances (grandkids events). Something wider is better but unless you want manual aperture control 24 mm to 35 mm lenses will run you more than the 40 mmDA XS.
Andy
01-05-2016, 09:30 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I also have a K20D and it is a very nice camera to shoot. Not to be too repetitive, but I would recommend getting a prime lens as some others have said. Is there a focal length that you find you use a lot or prefer with your zooms? Perhaps as Andy123 suggested, do some shooting with your zooms on your K20D for a while and see where you want to from there.

From all of the reviews and posts on this forum it looks like any of the DA Prime lenses are great choices. I have a DA 21 and it is becoming my everyday shooting lens. I am saving to get a DA 15. Then after that, I will probably get the D FA 50 f2.8 Macro. The new lens prices on these have been phenomenal lately so unless you get a steal on a used lens you might as well buy new.
01-05-2016, 09:47 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
but have little understanding of the varied designations mentioned in these Fora, like DA, DL, etc., as they might be suitable to fit my K20D.

A little advice/explanation would be awfully useful.
Dan.
Paul Kienitz on dpreview summarized the Pentax designations well:

There are five classes of digital lenses, plus old film lenses. They stack up like this:

"DA L" -- these are 'lightweight' lenses, mostly being cheapened plastic-mount versions of zoom lenses also sold in regular "DA" form, except for one cheap prime, the DA L 35mm f2.4... none at this time have weather seals or internal focus motors, because they're too cheap

regular "DA" -- budget and midpriced zooms with metal mounts... by default all are screw-drive focus unless they say "SDM" or "DC" (which indicates the new faster post-SDM focus motor), and are unsealed unless they say "WR"

"DA*" -- or more properly "DA★", if your browser can show that character correctly as a five pointed star -- professional-grade lenses, all of which are SDM and weather sealed even if they don't say "WR"... older ones support both SDM and legacy screw focusing, forthcoming ones might switch to "DC" focusing but this is hypothetical

"DA Limited" -- handmade top-quality primes with retro styled all-metal bodies, all using legacy screw-driven autofocus and none being weather sealed

"D FA" -- old film-era lenses updated with modern coatings; some are now labeled "WR", none have focus motors yet

"FA" (and "F") -- old film-era lenses not updated; none are SDM or WR

"A" (and "M") -- really old film-era manual focus lenses

You can largely ignore the other acronyms: "AL" and "ED" refer to types of glass, "IF" means internal focusing, and "SMC" originally referred to the antireflection coatings, but now has just become a brand for all Pentax lenses.

Anyone want to add or correct this?
01-06-2016, 02:12 AM - 1 Like   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote

There are five classes of digital lenses, plus old film lenses. They stack up like this:

"DA L" -- these are 'lightweight' lenses, mostly being cheapened plastic-mount versions of zoom lenses also sold in regular "DA" form, except for one cheap prime, the DA L 35mm f2.4... none at this time have weather seals or internal focus motors, because they're too cheap

regular "DA" -- budget and midpriced zooms with metal mounts... by default all are screw-drive focus unless they say "SDM" or "DC" (which indicates the new faster post-SDM focus motor), and are unsealed unless they say "WR"

"DA*" -- or more properly "DA★", if your browser can show that character correctly as a five pointed star -- professional-grade lenses, all of which are SDM and weather sealed even if they don't say "WR"... older ones support both SDM and legacy screw focusing, forthcoming ones might switch to "DC" focusing but this is hypothetical

"DA Limited" -- handmade top-quality primes with retro styled all-metal bodies, all using legacy screw-driven autofocus and none being weather sealed

"D FA" -- old film-era lenses updated with modern coatings; some are now labeled "WR", none have focus motors yet

You can largely ignore the other acronyms: "AL" and "ED" refer to types of glass, "IF" means internal focusing, and "SMC" originally referred to the antireflection coatings, but now has just become a brand for all Pentax lenses.

Pretty much spot on. The only things I'd add are:

- the DA20-40 WR is weather sealed (the only Limited that is)
- HD indicates newer lens coatings which do seem to give a slight improvement on flare performance
- HD lenses also have rounded aperture blades which can lead to slightly smoother bokeh, but also reduces the quality of starbursts at narrow apertures
- Some DA (such as the Limiteds) and D FA (such as the 100) lenses have Quick Shift facility to allow manual adjustment while in AF modes

EDIT: Oh, and the DA 50mm f/1.8 is also a plastic mount - one of the "cheap" (I prefer "inexpensive" ) lenses.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-06-2016 at 03:26 AM.
01-06-2016, 03:23 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote

Very useful indeed - just what I needed. May I assume that all "DA" marked lenses will auto-focus in my K20D and allow the camera to set the aperture in aperture priority "AV" mode ?

I have ordered a Pentax DA-L 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED AL lens at just under £60 new. How can they be made and sold at this price - 11 elements in 10 groups ?

I'm OK on "old glass" having my original Pentax K1000 lenses from 40 years back at 28, 40, and 50mm, plus GDR "Bokeh Monsters" of 135 and 200mm, plus a few others picked up in Charity shops and on-line.

---------- Post added 01-06-16 at 03:27 AM ----------

Last edited by danmdan; 01-06-2016 at 03:31 AM.