Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2016, 03:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

A question about SMC 300/4 lens (K mount)

Hi,

I'm going to buy a SMC 300/4 lens (300+ with a teleconverter ). Unfortunately it does not have a tripod mount.
Is it possible to adapt any tripod collar mount (canikon) that there are a lot on ebay?

Regards,

01-06-2016, 03:32 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure on that, but this might prove to be an interesting DIY:
DIY Tripod Mount How-To Review - Materials | PentaxForums.com Reviews

There are also similar mounts that you can buy if you're looking for something of higher quality. I used to have one that worked well with the FA* 300mm F4.5.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-06-2016, 03:34 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm sure there are some other manufacturers tripod collars that could be adapted (or some possibly will fit as they are), but it could be a bit of trial and error to get one that's really suitable - so an alternative approach is to use a Manfrotto 293 telephoto lens support - it may be a little more expensive initially but can be use on numerous lenses - I've used one for a few years and it is a really useful bit of kit!

Hope that helps
01-06-2016, 09:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you both for info. Even I did not know about this.

01-06-2016, 12:32 PM   #5
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
Hi,

I'm going to buy a SMC 300/4 lens (300+ with a teleconverter ). Unfortunately it does not have a tripod mount.
Is it possible to adapt any tripod collar mount (canikon) that there are a lot on ebay?

Regards,
I'm using this contraption from Manfrotto with my FA* 300/4.5.

It works well.
01-06-2016, 01:54 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 3rd party holster type support is the better option. I have the M300* and there really is not a lot of room to rig up a tripod mount.
01-06-2016, 02:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

1. Inspect your lens to determine the most appropriate spot to mount the tripod support, and take an accurate measurement of the barrel diameter (a digital caliper would be ideal).

2. Browse through eBay and purchase an aftermarket tripod collar (metal not plastic) which is nearly the same or slightly larger in ID than the lens barrel diameter.

3. Go to an auto supply store and buy an assortment pack of sheet gaskets (I bought from a local auto supply store, 4 sheets, thickness from 1/32 to 1/8 inch synthetic and natural cork). You will also need some kind of adhesive to glue the strips of gasket to the tripod collar (spray adhesive or mounting tape without backing material is the best).

4. When the tripod collar arrives scrape off the velour liner from the inner rings, use mild solvent like naptha to clean off the adhesive residue down to the bare metal (cleaner the better but no need to remove the finish).

5. Combine different thickness of the gaskets so that when the tripod collar is tightened around the lens barrel, there is a slight gap at the clamp to ensure a snug and positive fit.

You can also vary the width of the gasket strips (to a certain extent) to fit around a lens that has very little exposed barrel width. I was able to modify a tripod mount to fit around a Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 19AH while maintaining infinity focus and freely turn the aperture ring by reducing the gasket strip width by nearly 1/2.

I prefer this mod over the Manfrotto 293 because it's cheaper, you can rotate the camera within the tripod collar to shoot in either landscape or portrait mode and it's a lot less obtrusive.

01-06-2016, 04:39 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

See below. Takes about 1 hour to make

Note the SMC F 1.7x AF converter behind the lens
01-07-2016, 03:38 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Here's a photo of the Manfrotto 293 support I mentioned with a 645 fit 300mm lens plus 2X converter (Ole also is using one)...

Superb bit of kit - highly recommended
01-07-2016, 03:59 AM   #10
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I purchased a JJC TR-3 tripod ring for my K300.. it fits, but not well:

unfortunately for the K300, I have since purchased an A 400, so the 300 sits a bit more than it should..... I am seriously considering the Manfrotto 293, however....
01-07-2016, 04:45 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I purchased a JJC TR-3 tripod ring for my K300.. it fits, but not well...

...unfortunately for the K300, I have since purchased an A 400, so the 300 sits a bit more than it should..... I am seriously considering the Manfrotto 293, however....
The 293 is quite flexible, I've used it on several long lens and TC combinations. I've not tried it on the A400/5.6 as yet - I only got mine a few weeks ago and it hasn't been the right conditions to use it as yet, but from the "snaps" I've taken it looks like it's going to be a winner

How are you finding yours ?
01-07-2016, 04:51 AM   #12
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LennyBloke Quote
The 293 is quite flexible, I've used it on several long lens and TC combinations. I've not tried it on the A400/5.6 as yet - I only got mine a few weeks ago and it hasn't been the right conditions to use it as yet, but from the "snaps" I've taken it looks like it's going to be a winner

How are you finding yours ?

almost night and day, vs the K300... the K300 is much more prone to CA than the A 400.... the handful of shots I've been able to get with the A 400 before winter set in are worlds away from the K300's performance...

my flickr album with the A 400:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperberryfarm/albums/72157661186456612
01-07-2016, 05:08 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I never got on with the K300 but love the A*300

I did try an M series 400/f.6 a few years ago and was not impressed at all, but the A series seems a massive improvement. I think the Geese shots show what these under-rated beauties are capable of
01-07-2016, 05:13 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I took the day route over 10 years ago because of the following reasons.
1) while there were long lens supports, they had focusing ring resting on the support, I did not want this
2) adapted rings from other lenses did not hold the lens tight, and were poorly balanced
3) they were somewhat expensive for what they offered

My solution was easy to make, it required only 2 pieces of aluminum strip , bought at Home Depot some rivets, and epoxy to hold it together, 2 drill bits and a single 1/4-20 tap for the threaded tripod hole.

The ring for the lens was formed by bending a 1/2 X 1/8 thick aluminum strip around a spray paint can (size was right for the form)) the rest is straight pieces of aluminum simply cut to a desired length and glued + riveted together.

I elected to drill several holes to attach the camera tripod screw as well for better stability with different TCs and as it mounts at the balance point of the lens and camera,mint is quite stable either on a tripod or monopod.

It is easy to do and takes a minimum skill set and tools.

I lined all parts that touch the camera and lens with leather scraps I had around the house
01-07-2016, 05:42 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for your suggestions. I'm not skillful enough to build my dedicated collar.
I tried with an ebay collar for another lens (one 400mm) lens that is thinner than the collar. I have not found the right material (flexible enough to be inserted in the collar and stiff enough so that the lens does not move ) to fill the remaining space.

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
3. Go to an auto supply store and buy an assortment pack of sheet gaskets (I bought from a local auto supply store, 4 sheets, thickness from 1/32 to 1/8 inch synthetic and natural cork).
Are the cork sheets OK (I've seen on ebay 1.5 and 3mm thickness)? Auto shops in the neighborhood not have.

Another problem is that for some long lenses there is no right space for the tripod collar. Then it would be useful a Manfrotto support. It is at a reasonable price, but I mainly use Arca Swiss fastening system. Is there something similar in the same price range, but Arca Swiss system? I found this but it seems that adjustments are not so flexible than the Manfrotto support. Other alternatives?

---------- Post added 01-07-16 at 02:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
almost night and day, vs the K300... the K300 is much more prone to CA than the A 400.... the handful of shots I've been able to get with the A 400 before winter set in are worlds away from the K300's performance...
Indeed A option is better, but it is harder to find (now I do not see for sale) and a higher price.