Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2008, 07:05 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
When on a budget: USED lenses.
I've never bought used because that scares me. What if it does not work? warranty? fungus??! LOL

Im such a chicken!!!

07-02-2008, 07:30 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DuckysDoll Quote
I've never bought used because that scares me. What if it does not work? warranty? fungus??! LOL

Im such a chicken!!!
If you can buy used fro a local store, so much the better. You have Leo's in Vancouver fairly close by.
I've had mostly good luck with eBay, but do watch your seller's feedback. I don't necessarily worry about bad feedback, but I do read what the complaints are, since that can give you an idea if the complaint is the seller being stupid or the buyer being a moron.
In 20 or so lens transactions from eBay, I've had one lens that came in bad with support refused by the vendor, and one lens come in bad with full support from the vendor (he paid for servicing), so I've probably been one of the lucky ones.
Remember, under Canadian law, a mail order vendor has to give you an inspection period, and has to be selling equipment suited to the purpose for which it is sold, unless stated otherwise (don't buy something listed as a basket case and expect it to work).
So, if you are sold equipment that is supposed to be in working condition and it doesn't work, or isn't as advertised, you have recourse with the vendor.
Most sellers are honest people, the dishonest ones don't stay in business all that long.
07-02-2008, 10:20 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
My advice is stop reading nonsense from the pixel peepers and take some pictures. The FA50mm is a great lens that can take beautiful images, especially with someone as talented as you behind the camera.

Post some photos so we can see what it is you don't like about it.
Yes, and use the kit for stock images. You need experience not a new lens.
07-02-2008, 11:41 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Im such a chicken!!!
I have seen wonderful pictures from you on portraits, pets, flowers, birds using the combo with kit's lens and DA 50-200. If you are chicken, I want to follow your chicken suite and learn to be a better chicken who knows how to shoot with basic gear. Seriously, your pictures with combo gear are better than anything I have seen with better gear.

As for the FA 50 f/1.4. It is a wonderful lens with faster speed than your kit's lens. I returned my 1st copy due to softness seen in daytime pictures at f/4.0 with pixel peeping. One has to be critical in testing the lens. But I do find the FA 50 f/1.4 harder to use than my other gear due to its narrow DOF. As many have mentioned, slight movement can cause AF errors.

Before you decide to return it, I will suggest testing it on a tripod and test the sharpness in various apertures and compared similar shots with kit's lesn. The above links have some suggested links with focus chart testing.

While the 70/77 limited are better lens overall for portraits. Knowing how well you do with the simple kit's lens, I have no doubt of your next photos with a good FA 50 f/1.4. I will suggest NOT to sell it as it is one of the better primes that is NEW that is cost effective. With the close focus and added accessories, you can turn the FA 50 f/1.4 into a powerhouse for portraits, closeup and night time shooting

Last edited by hinman; 07-02-2008 at 12:44 PM.
07-02-2008, 12:35 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Im such a chicken!!!
There are options such as purchasing from KEH Camera: Used Cameras, Digital Cameras, Film Cameras, Laptop Computers and More. which enjoys a very good reputation for their used equipment. And there is the marketplace section of Pentax Forums, where you can buy from people you kinda-sorta "know" from interacting in the forums.
07-02-2008, 02:57 PM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I have seen wonderful pictures from you on portraits, pets, flowers, birds using the combo with kit's lens and DA 50-200. If you are chicken, I want to follow your chicken suite and learn to be a better chicken who knows how to shoot with basic gear. Seriously, your pictures with combo gear are better than anything I have seen with better gear.

As for the FA 50 f/1.4. It is a wonderful lens with faster speed than your kit's lens. I returned my 1st copy due to softness seen in daytime pictures at f/4.0 with pixel peeping. One has to be critical in testing the lens. But I do find the FA 50 f/1.4 harder to use than my other gear due to its narrow DOF. As many have mentioned, slight movement can cause AF errors.

Before you decide to return it, I will suggest testing it on a tripod and test the sharpness in various apertures and compared similar shots with kit's lesn. The above links have some suggested links with focus chart testing.

While the 70/77 limited are better lens overall for portraits. Knowing how well you do with the simple kit's lens, I have no doubt of your next photos with a good FA 50 f/1.4. I will suggest NOT to sell it as it is one of the better primes that is NEW that is cost effective. With the close focus and added accessories, you can turn the FA 50 f/1.4 into a powerhouse for portraits, closeup and night time shooting

WOW! TY! Such KIND words and a vote of confidence!
I'm PRETTY sure i'm gonna keep it!
I took it outside and got some pretty freakin fast shots!

Here is just a sample or 2....

07-02-2008, 03:03 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Nice photos

I've bought 10 lenses out of 12 I have USED and I've only had one bad lens out of those.. 90% from ebay. Even the bad one takes great images, it just has some dirt inside that I don't like.

07-02-2008, 07:15 PM   #23
Veteran Member

<==== (* Wouldn't bother with an autofocus lens for portraiture *)

The 50mm should be fine as a portrait lens, though maybe a tiny bit short. A 77mm would be closer to what I would consider a good portrait length. Back in the day I used my trusty 135mm as a portrait lens and all I had to worry about was camera shake with the longer focal length. It always gave me a flat, proportioned perspective for my subjects. Somewhere between 50mm and 100mm on a digital camera will be great.

Frankly, I love your work with that 50mm thus far. Very nice photographs! The wider angle gives a more intimate perspective on your subjects that I really like.

Last edited by TourDeForce; 07-02-2008 at 07:24 PM. Reason: being reasonable now...
07-02-2008, 10:26 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
WOW! TY! Such KIND words and a vote of confidence!
I'm PRETTY sure i'm gonna keep it!
I took it outside and got some pretty freakin fast shots!

Here is just a sample or 2....

Carie,

How you do that with these photos? You are killing me with your photos ... I hate this happening but I have to ask some specifics on your portrait shooting. Do you shoot in raw? And roughly what sort of post processing you do if there is any. You are so gifted and I admire greatly on your portraits. And I am sure you will love the lens.

Thanks,
Hin