Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2016, 11:58 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sigma 70-200 at an air show...... just one egret with this lens.

Another passing egret today.jpg
by Noel Leahy, on Flickr

01-07-2016, 12:07 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I already had my 70-200 (Sigma - the older, non-OS version) when I bought a DA*60-250. In comparison, I found the following:

The Pentax was a little smaller and lighter, but I hated how long it became when racked out to 250mm. The Sigma has internal zoom, as does the Tamron.
Unless the subject is at least 50m away, the Sigma gives better magnification at 200mm then the Pentax does at 250mm. Same goes for the Tammy again.
Sometimes that extra stop is really useful in lowish light, both for just getting the shot, and for the brighter viewfinder image. Again, ditto for the Tamron.
The Sigma focusses ridiculously fast, while the Pentax is a bit so-so. I can't speak for the Tamron in this regard.

I did prefer the colours from the Pentax, but when all was said and done (and I had a DA*300 anyway), I couldn't justify keeping the 60-250
01-07-2016, 12:47 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Tamron is a spectacular lens for the price, and as I already wrote somewhere here, best K mount lens dollar-per-pound. When I got it new, it cost less than half than 60-250 and came with a 6 year warranty.

2.8 is perfectly usable, lens is pretty sharp IMO and colors, well, I could say I find them nice (and definitely better than Tamron 17-50), but then, if you'll be shooting in gyms at high ISO, there won't be much to talk about anyway.
01-07-2016, 12:51 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

I can only comment on the DA*60-250 compared to the FA*80-200 and I can honestly say that since buying my DA*60-250/4.0 I hardly ever use the FA*80-200/2.8.

The DA* is very good at maximum aperture almost all the time. The FA* has a lower "keeper" rate at maximum aperture.
The DA* is solid but not too heavy, I can handhold it for fairly long periods. The FA* is solid but too heavy for me to use for extended periods.
I wouldn't make a call on overall IQ and lens characteristics, they are both superb.

It all comes down to that extra stop of light - if you need it then the 70-200 will be your saviour - if you can crank the ISO up by one notch I believe the consistency of the 60-250 may be worth it.

Hope that helps

01-07-2016, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Billy Joe Quote
Anyone have the 60-250 that thinks it is the best lens in their bag?
It is the best lens in my bag.

Its perks are : smaller, lighter, better build, WR, wider AND longer range (the 60mm perk is a major one), better foot removal system (mine isn't used often), better IQ, shallower DOF at 250mm f4 than what you'd get at 200mm f2.8.

The perks of the f2.8 lenses are : one stop faster, cheaper price (but not by much). For the current going prices it's a no-brainer for me.
01-07-2016, 06:13 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here's an interesting review of sports lenses for K-mount: Fast Sports Zoom Lenses for Pentax Review - 70-200mm Sigma & Tamron | PentaxForums.com Reviews
01-07-2016, 06:36 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Billy Joe Quote
I have put off buying the zoom lens off my dreams for some time... but it is now or never.......

I need a fast zoom for the kid shots in the gyms (band) (dance) etc etc

I have always wanted the tamron 70-200 2.8 for the fast ap... But the 60-250 pentax is close in price right now... I realize it is a F4 lens...

So has anybody shot both? I tried the 60-250 for a few minutes when it first came out at a Pentax Demo in SF....

Anyone have the 60-250 that thinks it is the best lens in their bag?

Thanks
I do not own the 60-250. I tried it at a trade show one time and I was not impressed. Perhaps it was a bad copy. All the reviews I have read say it is a great lens. However, I do own the Tamron 70-200. I bought it a few months ago and took it on a nature photography trip with me as I needed a long lens in my bag.

The reviews are generally good for the Tamron. In my experience the Tamron is a little soft at f2.8 but stop it down to f4 or beyond for fantastically sharp and contrasty images. The noisy focus is there but does not bother me much unless you are at a venue that silent focusing is required. The autofocus speed is decent too. I shot mostly inanimate objects. So I cannot comment on the focus speed for action work. A Pentaxian friend of mine bought the Tamron too. He shoots lots of sports and he loves it.

I was debating the two lenses too when I was buying. Knowing I was going to switch to the upcoming FF camera was another reason I went with the Tamron. The new Pentax 70-200 is the lens I really wanted but the Tamron was almost 1/3 the price with little optical compromise. I could not resist the value the Tamron offered and I wanted to get one before Tamron decided to stop making it.

---------- Post added 01-07-16 at 05:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sbc Quote
I have the 60-250 which I use for airshows. Produce stunning photos!
Great shot.

01-07-2016, 06:52 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The growing of the 60-250 is one of the few flaws of the lens. The focus breathing is another.
01-07-2016, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
normhead sings the praises of his 60-250. Maybe shoot him a PM asking him to weigh in.
Naw, don't ask me, after 3 years with the 60-250, I'm still not sure I made the right choice.

What it would take to get me into a Tammy...

Re-released with a fast focusing ring motor. Those small birds don't like noises
a High quality 2x TC, I could use with it.

A couple of my Canon shooting buddies use 70-200 with a 2x TC giving them 400mm and ƒ 5.6 as well as much better magnification a the birding locations at around 10-20 feet. . I have 350mm@ ƒ5.6 and my A-400 ƒ5.6.

But I've revisited this so many times it makes my head spin.

For the use described by the OP I think I'd go with the Tamron, in doors, ƒ2.8 improves your speed of AF even if you're shooting at ƒ4 or 5.6, the noise of the screw drive at sporting events isn't likely to be an issue, and the speed of AF also becomes a factor, the 60-250 is acceptable, but, there are times when you want the best, not what is acceptable.

If you do go for the Taamron, test it right away, I'm guessing of the lenses listed on the forum it has the worst DOA record of any lens.3 of the approx 35 reviewers received copies with problems, right out of the box. Once they have a working one though, everyone loves it.
01-07-2016, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If you do go for the Taamron, test it right away, I'm guessing of the lenses listed on the forum it has the worst DOA record of any lens.3 of the approx 35 reviewers received copies with problems, right out of the box. Once they have a working one though, everyone loves it.

Yeah, this is one lens you want the warranty for.
01-07-2016, 08:05 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cxdoo Quote
Yeah, this is one lens you want the warranty for.
I backed off one recently when the salesperson said I could only return it once. The odds of getting two bad copies would be pretty small, but who wants to gamble with that amount of money? Bottom line, I'd like to try out the lens in a store and not actually pay a cent until I'm satisfied it's working properly. The idea of buying a new lens on-line and not have it work, before having to send it off for warranty work is really quite a negative. Maybe it's never happened, but I don't plan to be the first.

But then I already have a 60-250 so, I'm trolling for the perfect deal, not buying a lens I need.

Last edited by normhead; 01-07-2016 at 08:11 AM.
01-07-2016, 08:13 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
What makes you think that? They look pretty close in the Photozone tests. Although the numbers are not directly comparable, both lenses are rated four stars overall. The Pentax has silent AF, better range, quick shift focus and WR. The Tamron is a stop faster, which is pretty significant for low light shooting. Canadian prices were not comparable, I got the Tamron for half the cost of the Pentax.
Because I had real world experience testing it against my DA*200. The Tamron was soft overall and the Pentax colors were more contrasty.
01-07-2016, 08:20 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Because I had real world experience testing it against my DA*200. The Tamron was soft overall and the Pentax colors were more contrasty.
Oh but the DA 200 2.8 is a magic monster! you can't compare a zoom to that can you? If I knew that in an auditorium i could always zoom with my feet I would be in! But angry parents shooting video with cell phones are not our friends...
01-07-2016, 08:23 AM   #29
Pentaxian

BTW, as of now, on amazon.fr Pentax lens is ~ 1200 EUR and Tamron ~ 500 EUR. At least in Europe, difference is very substantial.
01-07-2016, 08:23 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I backed off one recently when the salesperson said I could only return it once. The odds of getting two bad copies would be pretty small, but who wants to gamble with that amount of money? Bottom line, I'd like to try out the lens in a store and not actually pay a cent until I'm satisfied it's working properly. The idea of buying a new lens on-line and not have it work, before having to send it off for warranty work is really quite a negative. Maybe it's never happened, but I don't plan to be the first.

But then I already have a 60-250 so, I'm trolling for the perfect deal, not buying a lens I need.
thanks --- I too would love the perfect deal... It is a six year warranty in the states, so why can't you send it back till you get a good one?

---------- Post added 01-07-16 at 07:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by cxdoo Quote
BTW, as of now, on amazon.fr Pentax lens is ~ 1200 EUR and Tamron ~ 500 EUR. At least in Europe, difference is very substantial.
In the US it is about 770 to 880 USD

---------- Post added 01-07-16 at 07:25 AM ----------

Naw, don't ask me, after 3 years with the 60-250, I'm still not sure I made the right choice.

What it would take to get me into a Tammy...

Re-released with a fast focusing ring motor. Those small birds don't like noises
a High quality 2x TC, I could use with it.

A couple of my Canon shooting buddies use 70-200 with a 2x TC giving them 400mm and ƒ 5.6 as well as much better magnification a the birding locations at around 10-20 feet. . I have 350mm@ ƒ5.6 and my A-400 ƒ5.6.

But I've revisited this so many times it makes my head spin.

For the use described by the OP I think I'd go with the Tamron, in doors, ƒ2.8 improves your speed of AF even if you're shooting at ƒ4 or 5.6, the noise of the screw drive at sporting events isn't likely to be an issue, and the speed of AF also becomes a factor, the 60-250 is acceptable, but, there are times when you want the best, not what is acceptable.

Thank you... this says a lot. Dragsters don't need the quiet of a bird... and in the gym the bands are usually pretty loud

---------- Post added 01-07-16 at 07:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The growing of the 60-250 is one of the few flaws of the lens. The focus breathing is another.
What is focus breather?

---------- Post added 01-07-16 at 07:28 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LennyBloke Quote
I can only comment on the DA*60-250 compared to the FA*80-200 and I can honestly say that since buying my DA*60-250/4.0 I hardly ever use the FA*80-200/2.8.

The DA* is very good at maximum aperture almost all the time. The FA* has a lower "keeper" rate at maximum aperture.
The DA* is solid but not too heavy, I can handhold it for fairly long periods. The FA* is solid but too heavy for me to use for extended periods.
I wouldn't make a call on overall IQ and lens characteristics, they are both superb.

It all comes down to that extra stop of light - if you need it then the 70-200 will be your saviour - if you can crank the ISO up by one notch I believe the consistency of the 60-250 may be worth it.

Hope that helps
Thank you

---------- Post added 01-07-16 at 07:32 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
I do not own the 60-250. I tried it at a trade show one time and I was not impressed. Perhaps it was a bad copy. All the reviews I have read say it is a great lens. However, I do own the Tamron 70-200. I bought it a few months ago and took it on a nature photography trip with me as I needed a long lens in my bag.

The reviews are generally good for the Tamron. In my experience the Tamron is a little soft at f2.8 but stop it down to f4 or beyond for fantastically sharp and contrasty images. The noisy focus is there but does not bother me much unless you are at a venue that silent focusing is required. The autofocus speed is decent too. I shot mostly inanimate objects. So I cannot comment on the focus speed for action work. A Pentaxian friend of mine bought the Tamron too. He shoots lots of sports and he loves it.

I was debating the two lenses too when I was buying. Knowing I was going to switch to the upcoming FF camera was another reason I went with the Tamron. The new Pentax 70-200 is the lens I really wanted but the Tamron was almost 1/3 the price with little optical compromise. I could not resist the value the Tamron offered and I wanted to get one before Tamron decided to stop making it.

---------- Post added 01-07-16 at 05:39 AM ----------

Great shot.
thanks

Last edited by Billy Joe; 01-07-2016 at 08:26 AM. Reason: mistake