Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2016, 04:30 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I'm sure money is tight; however, I would highly recommend getting a professional in to clean the pipe and inspect the entire stove to make sure it will operate properly. You cannot put a $$ on your life. If you're almost "throwing up stage"; your life is in serious danger!! They call carbon monoxide the "silent killer" for a reason!

Worry about your equipment after the risk to your life is eliminated! I know what I'm talking about; many years ago my husband & I both almost died from this, when our fireplace sucked the fumes upstairs from our furnace!
If it's something obvious like a blockage from the earthquake jamming up the elbow, it's no need for a professional. If that's not it, yes, i will call one in. but most signs point to blockage.

As for money being tight: you have no idea.

01-07-2016, 04:32 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mothballs Quote
As for money being tight: you have no idea.
In case you are renting the house, it should be the owner's responsibility.
01-07-2016, 04:38 PM   #18
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
That site seems to have a typo: "Set the oven for 120 0C. " Um... what? It can't be 1200 C and it certainly doesn't mean 0C - does it mean 120C? If so, that's close to what several other sites recommendations of 149C (300F) so I would think anything between 250 - 300F (120-150C).would work. As for the packs not being useful I'm not sure which message you are talking about. Mine (zip lock bags) or another? With the zip locks the silica should work fine. I admit I am guilty of tossing them in camera bags myself which is probably silly.
those numbers sound weird.

the silica has to be dry to work, when it's been sitting out it sucks up moisture until it can't anymore(the 15-minute limit)... at that point, it won't be able to pull moisture out of the inside of a sealed bag.

that's why it has to be dried out in the oven.
01-07-2016, 04:38 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
In case you are renting the house, it should be the owner's responsibility.
it's not as cut and dry as that. I'd need a book to explain the situation adequately.

01-07-2016, 05:03 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fix your chimney! It probably won't hurt your camera if you keep it in a bag but breathing in a lot of smoke all the time is doing you no good. Every once in a while, if you burn wood a lot, a little smoke gets in the house. If it's a constant problem, then it needs to be fixed. Many woodstoves and fireplaces will smoke when the chimney is cold. The easiest fix for this is to buy a draft inducer and install it in the chimney. The good ones work automatically and have a built in thermostat. It's mainly just a fan that forces the air up your chimney. Do this AFTER you make sure your chimney isn't blocked.

I have lived in the Adirondacks for the past 40 years and for many years, heated exclusively with wood. If money is tight and you can't afford a professional, learn how to do it yourself! A stove chimney isn't rocket science. If you have a masonry chimney and it has partially collapsed inside, get it clear and run a liner down it. Stove pipe can function as a liner, just make sure each section is screwed together securely and be aware that it needs to be properly fixed once you have the funds to do so. I have a 50/50 chimney. My masonry chimney went down a few years ago. I replaced it with stainless steel insulated chimney and I ran the lower sections down the remains of my old masonry chimney to the cellar. It's an outside chimney and doesn't draw well when it's very cold outside until I have some heat going up, hence the draft inducer.
01-07-2016, 06:43 PM   #21

Original Poster
Yeah, I have double wall stove pipe and then the Insulated Double wall stainless pipe for the upper half. Looked clean, like always, ran the brush through it anyways to knock the last of the stuff free.

Pulled off the lower section. The slip joint was a bit gummed up, but that pipe was ALSO clear.

Exactly what I expected when I got to the the stove itself though. About four inches of soot and ash filling the top of the stove, filling the space between the baffle and the stove top so that there was barely any place for the air to go.

For those not in the know, the hot air and gasses still need to escape. If the Pipe is blocked, it'll come out elsewhere; the draft and around the fire rope in this case.

In any case, problem solved there. Still want to Make a good case. If I end up making one, I'll document it I suppose.

Now I just need to clean up...
01-07-2016, 07:40 PM   #22
Veteran Member

It's amazing how precious gear can push us to fix a problem....

01-07-2016, 07:55 PM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
It's amazing how precious gear can push us to fix a problem....
Psssh, Stove was getting fixed no matter what. I dislike feeling like garbage.

Still need to figure out a good storage thing. I have ideas.
01-07-2016, 08:49 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Psssh, Stove was getting fixed no matter what. I dislike feeling like garbage.

Still need to figure out a good storage thing. I have ideas.

I have found old storage cases for tools on craigslist - many are hard plastic with good seals. You could take something like that with closed cell foam and make a nice case.
01-07-2016, 09:20 PM   #25

Original Poster
I have found old storage cases for tools on craigslist - many are hard plastic with good seals. You could take something like that with closed cell foam and make a nice case.
Always comes down to space constraints. Most likely going to Build it into a coffee Table. Sealed drawers under a glass top. Not terribly hard, but I need to find a good base; I'm too lazy and cheap to build from scratch.
01-07-2016, 09:25 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Always comes down to space constraints. Most likely going to Build it into a coffee Table. Sealed drawers under a glass top. Not terribly hard, but I need to find a good base; I'm too lazy and cheap to build from scratch.
Why drawers? Why not just a box with a gasket around the top and the glass top. Just lift it off... that's cheap and simple.
01-07-2016, 09:42 PM   #27

Original Poster
Why drawers? Why not just a box with a gasket around the top and the glass top. Just lift it off... that's cheap and simple.
One, I actually want to use the table. If I have to take off the table top to get to the gear... Well, I'd never get to the gear.
Two, if I do a shallow enough drawer, I should have room to put bins for the other things that occupy my space. More storage!

Not like it's hard for me to go steal drawer hardware off some office desk with the slide out keyboard shelve. Get thrown out all the time around here.