Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-08-2016, 11:44 AM   #16
Veteran Member

All I can say is to keep looking in the Marketplace. So far, I'd acquired 4 KatzEye screens for 3 DSLR, all from the Marketplace, for around $80 mark including the 2 with Optibrite treatment. Tools, the best tool is a 5-6 inch hemostat (curved ones are more slimmer) from eBay or Amazon for moving the screen to and from the camera, and any small precision screwdriver is good enough to open and close the focus screen retainer in the camera.

01-08-2016, 11:46 AM - 1 Like   #17
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Do the screens from focusingscreens.com come with the tools? (two sets of tweezers, finger jimmies, etc)
Yes, they do. Only two finger cots, however, and I'd recommend three on each hand so you can conveniently handle the screen if required . One pair of steel tweezers, a plastic tool for unclipping the frame, and at least two shims for fine adjustment (I didn't need them).
01-08-2016, 11:51 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Yes, they do. Only two finger cots, however, and I'd recommend three on each hand so you can conveniently handle the screen if required . One pair of steel tweezers, a plastic tool for unclipping the frame, and at least two shims for fine adjustment (I didn't need them).
This is a great deal of help!

I'm going to see if I can pick up an old Super from the antique shop and hack away at it (that sounds so awful).
If that doesn't work out I'll probably go the focusingscreens.com route.

Thanks again!
01-08-2016, 07:40 PM - 1 Like   #19

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
How did you cut yours from a broken Pentax ME Super?!
There are 4 antique shops near my house all have old Pentax film bodies for cheap. Maybe I'll try to pick one up and salvage some parts?
The focusing screen in glued to the pentaprism, you'll need to unscrew the top cover first.
There are several good disassembly guides for Pentax ME Super, for example this and this.

After you get the FS you'll need to cut it down to the original K-30 screen size. Here's a very good howto and several useful comments.