Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2016, 09:51 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Help me identify my lenses

I have 4 old lenses from my regular SLR. Only 3 are Pentax brand so I'll ask about those here. I thought they were all M lenses, but now I'm not sure. None have an A on the aperture ring, but they all have a man/auto switch on the side. I have never used them in auto. They are all screw mount and were used with my Spotmatic F. So, what are these? M or A? Or something else?

(This is my first time attaching any photos from my phone, hopefully they come out right)

01-08-2016, 09:53 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those are classic old screw mount pentax lenses, all manual focus.

Look them up here:

Pentax M42 Screwmount Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
01-08-2016, 09:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

M42 mount lenses.
The man auto switch means this:
In Man aperture is set at whatever you have it at when framing and focusing and shooting the picture.
In Auto aperture is wide open when framing and focusing, the camera stops the lens down (using a little pin that is on the bottom of the lenses) to take the photo.

I believe it is these three lenses:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/Super-Multi-Coated-TAKUMAR-Super-Tak...35mm-F2.5.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-S-M-C-Super-Takumar-50mm-F1.4.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/S-M-C-Super-Takumar-28mm-F3.5.html

Out of interest, what is your fourth lens?
01-08-2016, 09:56 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
M42 mount lenses.
In Man aperture is set at whatever you have it at when framing and focusing and shooting the picture.
In Auto aperture is wide open when framing and focusing, the camera stops the lens down (using a little pin that is on the bottom of the lenses) to take the photo.

Interesting! I never knew this. I just attached one of them to the Spotmatic and it seemed that nothing changes but the brightness of the viewfinder when I changed from auto to manual. Makes complete sense now. Thank you!

01-08-2016, 09:57 AM   #5

Original Poster
Help me identufy my lenses

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
M42 mount lenses.

I believe it is these three lenses:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/Super-Multi-Coated-TAKUMAR-Super-Tak...35mm-F2.5.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-S-M-C-Super-Takumar-50mm-F1.4.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/S-M-C-Super-Takumar-28mm-F3.5.html

Out of interest, what is your fourth lens?

The 4th lens is a screw mount zoom w/ macro. I can't look at it right this second, but will in a moment. I think the brand is Sakar. I honestly didn't even know I had it. I have exactly zero recollection of purchasing it and am not sure I've ever shot with it.

---------- Post added 01-08-16 at 05:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Incidentally, all three are excellent lenses, particularly the 135mm 2.5 and the 50mm 1.4.

Good to hear! I always loved the 135mm. The 50mm was my first lens, and has been used quite a bit. I have an adapter and plan to try them out with my K20D here shortly. I have a new Sigma 100mm/2.8 macro I got from Santa so I've been playing with that one mostly.
01-08-2016, 10:15 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On your Spotmatic F or an ES or ESII, set the switch to Auto and leave it there. All other cameras, including DSLRs, set the switch to Man.

To do a Depth of field preview on the Spot F, use the meter switch.

P.S. Those are very nice lenses.
01-08-2016, 10:22 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Takumar Club here on Pentax Forums is the place to go for friendly advice and to share your photos. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/31601-takumar-club.html

01-08-2016, 10:28 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

doroth2,

I agree that the three Takumars are excellent lenses. I have the 50/1.4 and a slightly newer version of the 28/3.5 (the smc Pentax 'K' version), which I use frequently. I'd love the have the 135mm/2.5.

Fortunately, modern Pentax DSLRs accommodate these older lenses; please see: Manual Focus Lens Choices for Pentax - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

You'll need an adapter to be able to mount the screw-mount Takumar lenses onto the modern bayonet mount. One option is the Pentax Adapter-K: Pentax Mount Adapter K (M42 Adapter) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

- Craig
01-08-2016, 10:30 AM   #9

Original Poster
Help me identify my lenses

bertwert, the final lens is a Sakar 35-200mm/3.5-3.8 zoom/macro.

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
On your Spotmatic F or an ES or ESII, set the switch to Auto and leave it there. All other cameras, including DSLRs, set the switch to Man.

To do a Depth of field preview on the Spot F, use the meter switch.

P.S. Those are very nice lenses.
Thanks for the info Dave!

---------- Post added 01-08-16 at 05:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
doroth2,

I agree that the three Takumars are excellent lenses. I have the 50/1.4 and a slightly newer version of the 28/3.5 (the smc Pentax 'K' version), which I use frequently. I'd love the have the 135mm/2.5.

Fortunately, modern Pentax DSLRs accommodate these older lenses; please see: Manual Focus Lens Choices for Pentax - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

You'll need an adapter to be able to mount the screw-mount Takumar lenses onto the modern bayonet mount. One option is the Pentax Adapter-K: Pentax Mount Adapter K (M42 Adapter) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

- Craig

Thanks Craig,

I have the adapter already so I'm ready to go! I wonder if you can answer a question for me. I am shooting with a K20d. Is the only way to shoot with these lenses to set the aperture and ISO and press the green button to determine shutter speed? Or is there another way?

Dorothy
01-08-2016, 10:42 AM   #10
Pentaxian

With your Takumars you can set the camera to AV mode, select your chosen aperture and ISO, and the camera will automatically set the shutter speed
01-08-2016, 11:13 AM   #11
Veteran Member

These lenses predate the K, M, A, F, FA, DFA and DA series (all bayonet mounts).
If the green button doesn't work with AV mode, select M mode. After choosing aperture and ISO, press the green button and release it, then press the shutter release.
01-08-2016, 11:39 AM   #12

Don't forget to customize your menu settings, (see prior posts) in order to maximize the settings available with the K20 and manual glass. Then indeed Green button and Go. Good luck.
01-08-2016, 02:59 PM   #13
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by doroth2 Quote
the final lens is a Sakar 35-200mm/3.5-3.8 zoom/macro.
you can pick up m42-mount 3rd-party zooms like that on shopgoodwill.com, ebay, craigslist, etc. for really cheap, i usually donate 'em to goodwill, rather than hassle with trying to sell 'em... even name-brand m42 mount zooms generally aren't worth much.

those primes you have are nice tho, and they will mount up to all mirrorless cameras, plus i think nikon f-mount cameras as well, with a glassless adapter? so if they are clean and not decentered, it's something that you can keep and use for a long time, on all kinds of camera bodies.
01-08-2016, 04:46 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sakar was originally a bargain-priced third-party lens sold by several US retailers as a sort of store-brand. The company now owns the Vivitar name.
01-09-2016, 05:06 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What's the serial number on that 135/2.5? I'm curious which version it is.