Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2016, 06:22 PM   #1

Does anyone prefer DA 40 over FA 43?

This has probably been beaten to death. I've had FA 43 f/1.9 couple of years now, but every time I use it, cant help but notice that it's not as sharp as the other primes I own (DA21, DFA 100, etc) - even stepped down. Color is great, bokeh is great - just not as sharp. I even had my camera (K5II) focus calibrated by Pentax using this lens... I don't shoot at this length a lot (just a random portrait here and there). Did anyone go from FA 43 to DA 40 ?

01-08-2016, 07:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As I recall the DA40mm f/2.8 is basically a rehash of the M 40mm f/2.8 from the days of the ME super. The DA lens has had some digital optimizations which allegedly improve its performance on current DSLRs, I see that as marketing technobabble.I don't have much experience with the DA40 - personally it don't interest me as the ergonomic aspects of the lens are off putting( the tiny MF ring, lack of an aperture ring). I have been using the FA43 on the Leica M9 and Leica Monochrom - both full frame bodies*. The FA43 needs to be stopped down to really shine, especially in the corners on a full frame sensor. But at f/4~f/5.6 it is as sharp as any Leica Lens...though it has greater flare resistance than any Leica lens.

*I do also use it on the Leica M8 which is APS-H format.
01-08-2016, 08:15 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

I can't answer your question, as I have never used the FA 43. However, as for the DA 40, irrespective of its provenance (of which I couldn't care less), it's one unbelievably sharp and uniform-across-the-frame lens. That, together with its size, means it always travels with me on my frequent overseas trips. Hell, I can even carry it comfortably in a jeans pocket!
01-08-2016, 08:31 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I can even carry it comfortably in a jeans pocket!
Is that a DA40 in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

hmm...considering that the DA40 is the smallest pentax AF lens wouldn't that be an insult?

01-08-2016, 08:45 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have both the 43 and the 40. while the 3 amigo's go everywhere my camera bag goes, that is not always true of my DA collection. The DA40 is an exception though. It is always in my bag because of its diminutive nature. It gets used mainly as a body cap so I can more easily fit two bodies in my bag. And serves a dual purpose as another option for me to shoot with.

As to the question of sharpness, yes, the 40 may be sharper, but that isn't always the only prerogative for choosing to use a lens. I love the rendering of the 43. I'm don't have the technical knowledge to explain what it is that goes on with the 43 (and the 31 and 77) -maybe Digitalis can chime in-, but there is a 'humanness' , a warmth, something about the 43 that makes it my 2nd favorite prime. (The 77 takes pride of place for me.) the 40 is somehow 'colder'. Maybe it is just more digital. Dunno, I just know I prefer the 43.
01-08-2016, 10:42 PM   #6
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
I owned both, and never really took a shine to the DA 40. I'm not one to care about size and weight savings, etc., so that part while pretty cool, didn't really matter to me. Once I got the 43 on my K-3, the DA 40 was never used again. My 43 was sharp enough wide-open for people, and had untouchable rendering in my use. Well worth the money on crop, but can't say for FF.
01-09-2016, 02:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
.I don't have much experience with the DA40 - personally it don't interest me as the ergonomic aspects of the lens are off putting( the tiny MF ring, lack of an aperture ring).
I don't have any experience of the FA43 but I thought that I might as well chip in. The FA43 doesn't interest me at all since I have no intention of switching to full frame, I can cope with autofocus and aperture setting via the camera, I don't see the point of having a lens which 'you have to stop down' in order to make it acceptably sharp and I don't fancy dragging around an antique poser dinosaur. So there.

Flickriver: kh1234567890's photos tagged with da40

01-09-2016, 03:03 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No. No-no-no!

gs,
yes, DA40 is sharp right from f/2.8 - and, moreover, it is sharp all over the frame. So if the only thing you care of is sharpness, then you've got to go for DA40. But if you consider the other things too - like scene rendering - then stop where you are: DA40 has a damn awful bokeh. It is just plain bad. You'll struggle against this lens for getting nice smooth highlights blur and you'll lose most of the time. Though if you do the web-prints only limited to smth like 1024x680, then it may not be too much of an issue (that's why you will not see it here on PF where 99% of the pictures are resized down to 1024x680 or even 800x533), but even at full hd resolution (1920x1270) it is quite pronounced, let alone bigger prints.

Here's a 1:1 crop of a mid-sized 1920x1270 print:
Name:  _IGP5814-HighlightsCrop.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  268.5 KB

There will be a hack of a learning curve with this lens. But if you master with it, you'll be a damn good photographer able to drive and get a decent shot from almost everything.

View Picture EXIF
Name:  _IGP5567-midsize.jpg
Views: 1613
Size:  305.3 KB

Oh, and it is really small lens. It is really really small lens. It is a damn small lens! It is so small that it will challenge your Freudian unconscious! It is indecently, obscenely tiny! Every time I look at it I can't help but think of that famous Interstate 60 scene:

But yes, it is sharp. Moreover, it is uniformly sharp across the whole frame starting right from the max f/2.8 - and it also has a very good flare resistance.

Bottom line: do I recommend going for a DA40 (whenever SMC or HD)? No, I do not. But if you decide to give it a try, I will wish you good luck.

Zig

P.S.
Although I haven't got the FA43.

Last edited by Siegfried; 01-09-2016 at 03:34 AM.
01-09-2016, 03:17 AM - 4 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Is that a DA40 in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

hmm...considering that the DA40 is the smallest pentax AF lens wouldn't that be an insult?
I get more respect when I carry my Tamron 70-300 in my jeans pocket.
01-09-2016, 03:21 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by genesmasher Quote
...it's not as sharp...
Could you post a sample shot of what you consider sharp (say a DA21 shot) and what you consider not (FA43)?
01-09-2016, 03:59 AM   #11
Pentaxian

My 43 was definitely sharper than my 21. It had a tendency to miss focus more than other lenses but in general I'll say it was plenty sharp. "Was" because it was stolen, I didn't get rid of it intentionally. Maybe something is wrong with yours?
01-09-2016, 02:45 PM   #12
Forum Member

I own and absolutely love both the 43 and 21 Limited lenses. The 21 is not as sharp as the FA 43, but it's still an outstanding lens with wonderful sharpness, color, and rendering.

The 43 is my favorite of all Pentax lenses and is excellent wide open or stopped down. This is the lens that brought me back to Pentax and it is very special.
01-09-2016, 04:58 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I would not consider the size of the DA40 to be a factor vs the FA43 that is almost as small.

To me the difference is that the the DA40 is a typicall DA lens with not so fast apperture and cool/modern rendering. It does well for landscapes while the FA43 does well on landscapes AND bokeh shoots too even through it is quite temperamental lens.

I decided to settle on the DA35 limited myself. It is bigger but still quite reasonnably sized, it share the same max apperture as the DA40 and overall the same color rendering. The bokeh is great for macro shoot, and average otherwise but it avoid the issue pictured by Siegfred. It is also much sharper (almost perfectly sharp really) and it has macro support.

To me between the the DA40, FA43 and DA35 ltd the DA40 is the lens that is the least interresting. What he can do, the 2 other can too, but they have some additionnal feature it miss like macro or interresting bokeh depending of the one we compare it to.

Of course the DA40 is also cheaper and that can be factor to choose it.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 01-09-2016 at 05:04 PM.
01-09-2016, 05:00 PM   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven't used my DA40 in situations where the bokeh is an issue. In terms of sharpness, I'm very happy indeed with it - even wide open... from f/4 it is really excellent, though it seems I've mainly used it for shots requiring a bit more depth of field (hence my comment re bokeh)...
01-09-2016, 05:31 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I haven't used my DA40 in situations where the bokeh is an issue. In terms of sharpness, I'm very happy indeed with it - even wide open... from f/4 it is really excellent, though it seems I've mainly used it for shots requiring a bit more depth of field (hence my comment re bokeh)...
The thing is there no many lenses that are bad near 40mm at f/4 as long as they feature the apperture. What would be difficult indeed is to find a lens that would not perform well at 40mm f/4.