Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2016, 01:08 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
SMC Pentax-M 50mm 1.7 fuzzy/foggy looking pics issue

Hello everyone,
I hope I am posting in the right place here.
I just purchased from the online market here in China the SMC Pentax-M 50mm 1.7mm.
This is my first experience with a manual lenses, and looks very promising - the lenses are quite sharp already at 1.7 when properly focused ( I am still on the learning curve here).
The issue I have found with this lens, aside the incorrect exposure metering which comes time to time from f 5.6 upward, is the fuzzy look on the landscape like pictures in sunny bright light, no matter what the aperture is - tried all of them already - here 2 pics added right from the camera with no adjustments.
Interesting is that this is happening only for the outside photos, inside the room, I feel they are good enough for the contrast and sharpness.

The focal length it appears in the exif files 75mm is manually imputed, here I also need advice about the right value, I turned off the SR, and focused on Live view screen.

I also added 2 pics on how the lenses looks on the camera.
I cannot complain anything about the lenses themselves they don't have any visible damage, scratches, fungus or whatsoever.
Are this lenses not very good for this kind of use, is this kind of softness normal? Thank you all for your opinion on this.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6  Photo 

Last edited by cake; 01-09-2016 at 01:31 AM. Reason: wrong title
01-09-2016, 03:04 AM   #2

maybe it's foggy outside?

Using the same lens from time to time on k50 no problem.

Also could be too bright... Lower ISO and/or set higher shutter speed.

If it doesn't help could be a bigger issue.

Where did you get the hood for the lens... Looks sick ;-)
01-09-2016, 04:24 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
lol, yes, the hood and the lens box are not original - hopefully at least the lenses are ,

Sure is not the weather, also not the ISO should be, as one is shot at 100 and one is at 400, also I don't have any problem in close and middle range.

Here one more from this evening, with 100% crop, just as they came from the camera, good enough for my eyes.

I think my copy have a haze kind problem when shoot in bright light.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-09-2016, 08:31 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Examine the lens closely for a hazed element.

The Flashlight Test

01-09-2016, 09:28 AM   #5
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
take the lens off of the camera and shine a flashlight through it, if there is haze you'll be able to see it, like marcus says.

you could compare it with a lens that you think doesn't have a hazy look.
01-09-2016, 10:05 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you James for your suggestion I will change to 50 - as I read somewhere, this only affects the way the SR work, I don't know if there are some other things affected by.
I am doing mostly in capture one all the adjustments and I can live with a slight lack of contrast or more flat image, but I think the problem is still not there, because the stronger the light the more is this fuzzy look.
So I have followed the test mentioned by markusBMG - thank you Markus by the way, that was very new for me - and here's what I have found (pics bellow). I think the culprit may be, as it can be seen in the pics.

Any other suggestions are very welcomed.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6  Photo 
01-09-2016, 10:15 AM   #7
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
looks a bit hazy.. a good technician should be able to help you get that cleaned out....

01-09-2016, 11:02 AM   #8
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
that does look a bit questionable... did you clean the glass on both ends, and how did you do it? i use ror and kimwipes.

the acid test is to bounce the light in at an angle, reflecting it off of the inner glass elements... here is a vivitar 28/2.0, this pic looks like the light is shining on the outside element, but it's really bouncing light off of an inner element, the light is going right through the outside element, you can't even see it.

i pulled the back cover off(see the three screw holes), and then went in with an adjustable lens wrench, using those two notches, but it ended up unscrewing the entire rear group... i don't have any kind of a vise arrangement that will hold a big tall lens group, so i couldn't split the group to clean it off... you can see one notch, on the interior set of notches, inside the group, that ring with the notches is under the outside element.

if the lens group is thin, you can use a jar opener to hold it.. or maybe you could drill a big hole in the jar opener... hmmm... i wonder what dcshooter uses there.

hope this pic is clear, this forum doesn't allow full-size pics to be uploaded.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7R  Photo 
01-09-2016, 07:50 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you OSV for your suggestion. The lenses looks in very good condition, they are clean on the both ends, , as I never have tried to open one before, although I am tempted to fiddle with this ones, I will go the easy way and send them back to the seller and ask for a repair or replacement. This shop have a bunch of them, I hope he may find a better copy.