Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2016, 05:33 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Buying used lenses has its risks, particularly when you don't get a warranty.

Des's caution is well advised. Having said that, I have had only good experiences buying used lenses from members of this forum. An honest and helpful lot. Price wise, I find prices here more reasonable than if I were buying used from a retailer/reseller like B&H or KEH.

I know postage and exchange rates are a big factor for international sales, but there are some pretty active forum members down under.

Enjoy your camp drafting and whatever "new" lenses you end up acquiring. Cheers.

01-16-2017, 06:23 AM   #17

Original Poster
Well it took me a while to get back here!!
I did get those lenses eventually and ended up getting 2 new lenses and I love them both, one was the Pentax DA* 60-250mm F4 and the second was the Pentax DA* 16-50mm f2.8.... thank you so much to everyone for the helpful advice, you all taught me so much about lenses and it meant I was able to make the perfect choice.
Also happy to report that the new lenses have not copped nearly as much of a beating.... unfortunately my K-50 did do it's typical k-50 thing and die so in the market for an upgrade now lol....
01-16-2017, 01:29 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kurrawinya Quote
unfortunately my K-50 did do it's typical k-50 thing and die so in the market for an upgrade now lol....
Looking for a bargain? My first go-to in APS-C land would be a gently used K-5 IIs or (if you crop a lot) a K-3 (I need the flash more than I need the K3-ii's GPS and pixel shift). Got cash to splurge? Consider a new K-70. That said, the rumour mill is abuzz about Pentax's latest as-yet-unhatched APS-C DSLR, potentially called the K-p, so if you have $$$$ to spend, wait and see what pops out.
01-16-2017, 03:09 PM   #19
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
That said, the rumour mill is abuzz about Pentax's latest as-yet-unhatched APS-C DSLR, potentially called the K-p, so if you have $$$$ to spend, wait and see what pops out
According to the always-reliable AsahiMan, it will be announced on Australia Day (26 Jan).

01-16-2017, 10:45 PM   #20

Original Poster
Yeah kinda in a hurry to replace it, my back-up also died so looking at a k3-ii.... I'm a bit windy on the k-70.. I can't find a definitive answer on what aperture setup they used on it... once bitten twice shy...
01-17-2017, 03:15 AM   #21
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah kinda in a hurry to replace it, my back-up also died so looking at a k3-ii.... I'm a bit windy on the k-70..
I think you are on the right track. The rugged construction of one of the flagship bodies (K-5 series, K-3 series) is built with tough use in mind. K-3ii has a few more features than the K-3 (GPS, Pixel Shift, more stops of shake reduction, etc), although some people (I'm one) prefer the built-in flash on the K-3 to the GPS on the K-3ii.

Second hand K-3 bodies go for around $700-$800 from private sellers. An ex-demo K-3ii (e.g. from C R Kennedy through surveysuppliesau on eBay) will be around $1000-1100 if you can find one. A new K-3ii body only in Australia goes for around $1500 (e.g. from Ted's). There were good sales before Xmas, but if you have to buy now those are the sorts of prices you are up for. The new DSLR to be announced next week might not be available for sale for a month or two, and if it's a flagship model it's likely to cost some hundreds more on release than the K-3ii.
01-17-2017, 03:50 AM   #22
Pentaxian

DA* 60-250mm F4
IMHO, a good choice for camp-drafting. Good at the wide end, useful reach at the long end. In my usage in rodeos, I often find a 70-200 f2.8 just doesn't have the reach I want as a rider reaches the far edge of the ring, whilst as the rider charges closer, 70mm can be too long too. And while f4 may seem slow, unless the scene is really dark, I usually stop down from f2.8 to to f4 anyhow just for that extra bit of DOF to ensure useful coverage of the rider's body in action.

The AW WR of both the 60-250 and 16-50 will also help a lot for dusty horse events, for sure.
01-17-2017, 05:50 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have just started to tackle portraiture
On APS-C, my favourite portrait lens is the DA40 LTD. Renders beautifully, nice focal length, not too tight (even 50 is a bit tight for my taste).

Something I'm REALLY getting into is nighttime photos
DA21, SMC version, you'll love those starbursts:

Obviously I dream of a big ass lens to make sneaking up on little birdies and wild animals easier,
If you need WR, then either the 55-300 or if you can afford it the 60-250.

My main bug bear is where to get them from!
The marketplace here is where I'd look. Otherwise, Kijiji/Craiglist and meet in person.

01-17-2017, 04:07 PM   #24
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
If you need WR, then either the 55-300 or if you can afford it the 60-250.
Ron, I think you are responding to the original question from 12 months ago. The OP now has a 16-50 and 60-250 and is now asking about a new body. (See post #20.)

The marketplace here is where I'd look. Otherwise, Kijiji/Craiglist and meet in person.
OP is in Australia, so forget Craigs List. Gumtree Aus is the largest local classified market in Australia. Kijiji is an interesting one - you have bought through them haven't you? I'd agree about the marketplace, although the chances of quickly finding a K-3/K-3ii shipping to Australia are not great.
01-17-2017, 09:34 PM   #25

Original Poster
Yep I'm in Australia... and being a single girl that would be looking at gear on my own I've ruled out Gumtree (our equivalent to craigslist) Postage from the states would kill me too haha.

Bdery - gorgeous image! I've been getting some pretty neat star bursts from that DA* 16-50mm too not that nice though lol.

I had initially considered getting a k-1 (because of it's nigttime capabilities) but decided to get the k-3ii so I could spend the $1200 - $1400 left over on lenses and other gadgets (like a flash lol)

rawr - you're talking my language! I've done a few drafts with it and it's been spot on It's hard to get advice on the subject - people underestimate how hard horse and cattle events are to photograph I think!
01-18-2017, 12:35 AM   #26

Original Poster
Hmm next question... I know absolutely nothing about wireless shutter remotes and such, and I'm having trouble googling it.... is the Hahnel Giga T Pro Wireless Remote for Canon EOS/G11 compatabe with pentax or just Canon as the name suggests? I'm not finding many results for Pentax.....
01-18-2017, 01:01 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Definitely look for a K-3 or K-3ii. Great cameras and can be had second hand at reasonable prices.
I have the Pentax remote. It is waterproof and does the job. On the other hand, with a Pentax FluCard you can always use your phone as a remote.
01-18-2017, 05:59 AM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
you have bought through them haven't you?
Yes, in Canada Kijiji (owned by Amazon) is the biggest comparable service. We have another equivalent in Quebec, I don't think Craigslist even has listings here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
I'd agree about the marketplace, although the chances of quickly finding a K-3/K-3ii shipping to Australia are not great.
We see them from time to time. I'm always hesitating about selling mine now that I have the K-1.

Bdery - gorgeous image! I've been getting some pretty neat star bursts from that DA* 16-50mm too not that nice though lol.
The DA15 and 21 are special for starbursts. That shot was at F4.5, with most lenses you need F16 to get something comparable (and not as nice).

being a single girl that would be looking at gear on my own I've ruled out Gumtree
Why is being a girl relevant?

I know absolutely nothing about wireless shutter remotes and such, and I'm having trouble googling it.... is the Hahnel Giga T Pro Wireless Remote for Canon EOS/G11 compatabe with pentax or just Canon as the name suggests? I'm not finding many results for Pentax.....
If it's for Canon then it won't work most likely. You could get the Pentax wireless remote or any ebay knockoff.

Pentax Waterproof Infrared Remote Control 39892 B&H Photo Video

Pentax Remote Control F 37377 B&H Photo Video

Wireless IR Infrared Remote Control Shutter Trigger For Canon Nikon Sony Pentax

Universal IR Wireless Remote Control for Canon Nikon Pentax Olympus black | eBay

PENTAX IR WIRELESS REMOTE CONTROL K5 K5II K7 K3 K20D K200D K2000 K10D Mega Sale | eBay

From experience the eBay versions are not as good, not as reliable, and are much more difficult to aim. They don't work from as large a distance and will have trouble if you're off axis.

One last option, if you have a cell phone with an IR port, is to simply use an app to trigger the camera:

Camera IR Remote - Android Apps on Google Play

DSLR Remote - Android Apps on Google Play

Camera Remote Control (free) - Android Apps on Google Play
01-18-2017, 06:50 AM   #29

Original Poster
Yes, in Canada Kijiji (owned by Amazon) is the biggest comparable service. We have another equivalent in Quebec, I don't think Craigslist even has listings here.

We see them from time to time. I'm always hesitating about selling mine now that I have the K-1.

The DA15 and 21 are special for starbursts. That shot was at F4.5, with most lenses you need F16 to get something comparable (and not as nice).

Why is being a girl relevant?

If it's for Canon then it won't work most likely. You could get the Pentax wireless remote or any ebay knockoff.

Pentax Waterproof Infrared Remote Control 39892 B&H Photo Video

Pentax Remote Control F 37377 B&H Photo Video

Wireless IR Infrared Remote Control Shutter Trigger For Canon Nikon Sony Pentax

Universal IR Wireless Remote Control for Canon Nikon Pentax Olympus black | eBay

PENTAX IR WIRELESS REMOTE CONTROL K5 K5II K7 K3 K20D K200D K2000 K10D Mega Sale | eBay

From experience the eBay versions are not as good, not as reliable, and are much more difficult to aim. They don't work from as large a distance and will have trouble if you're off axis.

One last option, if you have a cell phone with an IR port, is to simply use an app to trigger the camera:

Camera IR Remote - Android Apps on Google Play

DSLR Remote - Android Apps on Google Play

Camera Remote Control (free) - Android Apps on Google Play
Sorry I should have been more clear lol, all the gumtree ones I found that weren't asking for insane postage were pick-ups only, I missed that bit... I don't go to pickups because I'd be on my own and I've been caught out by a creep before... it got pretty messy... yes bad stuff happens even here in sunny australia...

Yeah that's what confused me, the seller heading listed it as being for canon but when i looked it up it said pentax... very confusing, have asked seller to clarify.

Thank you for the links, you're a legend 👍 🙂
01-18-2017, 07:31 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry I should have been more clear lol, all the gumtree ones I found that weren't asking for insane postage were pick-ups only, I missed that bit... I don't go to pickups because I'd be on my own and I've been caught out by a creep before... it got pretty messy... yes bad stuff happens even here in sunny australia...

Yeah that's what confused me, the seller heading listed it as being for canon but when i looked it up it said pentax... very confusing, have asked seller to clarify.

Thank you for the links, you're a legend 👍 🙂

Dslr remote works as an app on some phones (If you have one with an ir port).

As for gumtree, with Craigslist I insist on meeting in person in public places. Recent trend is police stations offering their parking lots as a safe meeting place. Consider these options as a possible way to improve the safety. You still may be uncomfortable which is reasonable. Creeps are creeps after all.