Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
01-18-2017, 09:42 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kurrawinya Quote
even here in sunny australia...
Even?

More like especially.

And that's speaking as someone who lived there for his first forty years.

01-19-2017, 04:26 AM   #32

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Dslr remote works as an app on some phones (If you have one with an ir port).

As for gumtree, with Craigslist I insist on meeting in person in public places. Recent trend is police stations offering their parking lots as a safe meeting place. Consider these options as a possible way to improve the safety. You still may be uncomfortable which is reasonable. Creeps are creeps after all.
Yeah its amazing how many people just say no to that because it's "too inconvenient" I kind of get why, it would be a pain in the butt to drive 20k's into town to sell something, especially when my free days are limited too, I've just given up.

---------- Post added 01-19-17 at 09:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Even?

More like especially.

And that's speaking as someone who lived there for his first forty years.
Haha you're probably right! I guess I didn't have anything to compare it with having never left the country in my 20-odd years, I did grow up near Adelaide though..... I didn't realise until I shifted to queensland that it had such a reputation 😨 knew it must be pretty bad when I heard it called a murder capital on an American poscast lol.
01-19-2017, 05:00 AM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Adelaide's reputation as a murder capital is due to quality (and publicity) rather than quantity
Anyway, Truro and Snowtown were a long time ago. And Wolf Creek may have been filmed in SA, but it is based on events in New South Wales and the Northern Territory.
Comparing Adelaide to any capital city in the USA in that regard is laughable.

Not that I'm defensive or anything
01-19-2017, 05:05 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Adelaide's reputation as a murder capital is due to quality
Spectacular-ness might be a better word.

01-19-2017, 05:42 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Spectacular-ness might be a better word.
This is off-topic, but you've made me curious. I'll have to research that.
01-19-2017, 07:54 AM   #36

Original Poster
Adelaide's reputation as a murder capital is due to quality (and publicity) rather than quantity
Anyway, Truro and Snowtown were a long time ago. And Wolf Creek may have been filmed in SA, but it is based on events in New South Wales and the Northern Territory.

Not that I'm defensive or anything
Lol yes, Adelaide does have a pension for the spectacular, I think because every time something does happen it's just so out there... I only moved away a short while ago and was pretty surprised

Comparing SA even to NSW, QLD or VIC is probably a bit suss too, I'm sure per capita they would have to be on par...
01-19-2017, 10:48 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kurrawinya Quote
Lol yes, Adelaide does have a pension for the spectacular, I think because every time something does happen it's just so out there.
I went to Adelaide a few years ago and thought it was a nice quiet safe place, did I miss something?

Yeah spend a week in Chicago and check the weekend shooting tally on the Monday morning news, OZ is not in the same league.

Phil.

01-19-2017, 12:12 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I went to Adelaide a few years ago
Did you swim over from Tassy, like all the locals do?

---------- Post added 01-20-17 at 06:14 AM ----------

Chicago and check the weekend shooting tally
OZ is not in the same league
We are trying!
01-19-2017, 12:30 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I find craigslist highly over rated, especially in my area. Even doing searches up to 150 miles away yields few Pentax results...

$100 for a Spotmatic with a 55/1.8 locally...

$300 for a pink K-r 73 miles away...

$400 for a *istDS with an 18-55 and Quantaray 70-300 locally...

$285 for a K-x with 18-55 and 50-200 70 miles away...

The only thing with looking at is a Sigma 8-16 for $450 about 128 miles away. But I bought a Sigma 10-20 two months ago...
01-19-2017, 01:41 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I find craigslist highly over rated, especially in my area. Even doing searches up to 150 miles away yields few Pentax results...

$100 for a Spotmatic with a 55/1.8 locally...

$300 for a pink K-r 73 miles away...

$400 for a *istDS with an 18-55 and Quantaray 70-300 locally...

$285 for a K-x with 18-55 and 50-200 70 miles away...

The only thing with looking at is a Sigma 8-16 for $450 about 128 miles away. But I bought a Sigma 10-20 two months ago...
It varies. My K100D Super and two lens (18-55 & 50-200) kit was picked up off Craigslist.
But I live in a metro area of over 2-3 million people (depending on the MSA definition) so my access to things off Craigslist is good. But Pentax is tiny in this pool and I will find things quite infrequently. eBay and the marketplace here are much more viable for me.
01-19-2017, 02:23 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
It varies. My K100D Super and two lens (18-55 & 50-200) kit was picked up off Craigslist.
But I live in a metro area of over 2-3 million people (depending on the MSA definition) so my access to things off Craigslist is good. But Pentax is tiny in this pool and I will find things quite infrequently. eBay and the marketplace here are much more viable for me.
The Syracuse metro area is 700,000, but even if I expand the search to all of upstate NY, northern and central PA, western MA, and NW CT, there aren't many hits for Pentax. Adding Buffalo turned up a Sigma 105 macro for $225...

There's a K-5 body for $350 in Rockland County...AF-540FGZ for $200...

Last edited by boriscleto; 01-19-2017 at 02:31 PM.
01-19-2017, 02:35 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Did you swim over from Tassy, like all the locals do?
Train from Sidney, then up to Darwin, swapped trains in Adelaide. Was there about 10 years ago, things must have changed over the last decade?

We are trying!
Vancouver specializes in drug overdoses, same end result and the same needless deaths. Over 200 deaths in Vancouver alone and over 900 in the province in 2016!

Phil.

Last edited by gofour3; 01-19-2017 at 02:41 PM.
01-19-2017, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

up to Darwin, swapped trains in Adelaide
You rode on the GHAN, that's one of the classic train rides in OZ

And YES, things have changed for the worst over here.....espescially the polys(worldwide trend it seems)

In the good old days(50s and 60s) OZ was a great place, even the cities.
01-19-2017, 03:27 PM   #44
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
In the good old days(50s and 60s) OZ was a great place, even the cities.
Unless you were a woman, or gay, or black, or Asian. I don't hanker for the "good old days" of the White Australia policy, the six o'clock swill, ockerism, "football, meat pies, kangaroos and Holden cars".
01-19-2017, 03:42 PM - 1 Like   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Unless you were a woman, or gay, or black, or Asian. I don't hanker for the "good old days" of the White Australia policy, the six o'clock swill, ockerism, "football, meat pies, kangaroos and Holden cars".
Plenty of similar blame to go around many places in the world. Let's remember that politics are off limits and focus back on the lenses.

I hear a lot of people here go to flea markets (swap meets) and find bargains but it sounds like a huge investment in time for a needle in a haystack chance. Does that resonate with others?