Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
01-10-2016, 02:44 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dahabit Quote
OK will try.

---------- Post added 01-10-16 at 02:09 PM ----------

Just did this and it snapped back in place. Thanks plastic.
Glad it worked, cheap lenses are amazingly durable.

01-10-2016, 04:54 PM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
If you like the idea of a fast prime, and using the long end of your kit lens has given you a good idea of what it looks like, there's no reason not to buy the 50/1.8; it's outstanding for the price, and at least where I am it's being sold dirt cheap.

Alternatively there are more wide-short tele zooms out there than you can poke a stick at - 16-50 or 17-50 2.8's, 16-85, 18-135, etc, the list goes on; it all depends on what your shooting patterns and needs are like and how much you have to spend. Given that you already have a backup WR 18-55 to fall back on, you might even want to think about something at the long end (50-200, 55-300, both available as WR), and have a nice two lens set that will cover most of your needs from the focal-length point of view. Using that for a while and then looking at where most of your shots are grouped will give you a very good idea of what focal lengths to buy in when it comes to saving up for and selecting premium lenses.

Personally I would rather have the older nonretractable kit lens than the retractable. You are in a good position to have this backup while you decide what to do. I am sad for your loss, but I do not think the damaged lens is worth repairing unless you can do it under insurance with no excess.

You are correct, I do want a wide-short lens. and I already have a 50-200 so that's covered.
Thanks to plastic, I was able to pop the shaft back into proper alignment. But like you said I think the non-retractable one take a better picture. I notice a big difference when taking action shots.
01-10-2016, 05:08 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK, I wasn't aware of what other lenses you had. Looks like you're well set up. Would I be right in assuming you got an 18-50 and 50-200 plus KS-2 package? In that case, that DA50 makes good sense as a fast, light prime for shallow DOF portrait work (= 75mm FOV on APS-C), and the decision then is what to go for at the short end and when. The 18-135 makes good sense if the 18-50 or 18-55 is all you have, but less sense in your case if your copy of the 50-200 is WR, so if that's the case you can drop that one and consider its most direct competitor, the 16-85. If you were happy to do without WR, that opens up various options (not just Pentax) that start at 16 or 17mm and in some cases offer constant f/2.8, which has its own benefits (especially for those action shots you say you take). If you're considering the DA*16-50 f/2.8, though, you'll want to read up all about the SDM issue and how comfortable you feel either trusting it or converting it to screwdrive should the need arise.

I note your success in quick and dirty repair, though it must be a relief to have a backup lens available before you take that sort of risk!!
01-11-2016, 06:52 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Did you notice any misalignment after your "reassembly" ?

Seb

01-11-2016, 04:25 PM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bassek Quote
Did you notice any misalignment after your "reassembly" ?

Seb
What's the best way to check it? I will compare the retractable lens with my non-retractable one to see if there is any difference.
01-12-2016, 03:07 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If possible re-shoot a previous pic of the same subject that you shot before the incident. Use same f and focal lenght.

Seb