Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2016, 02:45 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Well, I own a Volna 50/1.8, and I too tried to chase down the 1.4 and 1.2 models. But after four years of a followed world wide saved search on eBay, no luck.

My guess is these lenses never made it to production outside of a handful of models for VIPs, but that's just a hunch.
In Wikipedia is written:
Volna-8 50/1.2 a pilot batch was made of up to 20 copies. Was not in a serial production.

The page on which the enthusiast gathered
information about the volumes of rare Soviet lenses:
link
Volna-4 is counted there, Volna-8 is don't.

03-06-2016, 08:13 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
They are on amazon and ebay. For that price I rather buy soviet, Pentax, or German old glass, not Russian copy of USSR lens. Amazon.com : Russian Soviet Helios-40-2 85mm f/1.5 Best portrait manual lens for Canon EOS SLR/DSLR Camera. NEW! : Camera Lenses : Camera & Photo
Yeah, the Soviet Helios 40-2 achieved cult status and the prices of them on the used market rose so much that the (modern Russian) factory decided to make a new batch not that many years ago. As far as I remember, the reviews said the lens is good quality, but it doesn't have that odd, special character that the original Soviet version had. And its price is fairly high for a manual lens, especially when compared to Samyang 85mm (great IQ, fast aperture, good price, and it has A-mode on aperture ring). Still, its a modern version of a Soviet lens (40-2, m42 mount) that succeeded the original model 40 (m39 mount), which was was originally based on a German double Gauss design (Zeiss Biotar).

Last edited by Na Horuk; 03-06-2016 at 08:22 AM.
03-07-2016, 09:17 AM   #33

Original Poster
The fact that everyone says the new helios isn't as good as the old production holds some truth.

But Zenit is also the force behind the Lomo Petzval and other effect lenses. The current production ones at that.

It all depends on what you go looking for.
03-07-2016, 10:03 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
but it doesn't have that odd, special character that the original Soviet version had.
That's why it lose any sense for me to buy it for the price of any other good lens.
The whole idea of chasing old lenses was about special characters plus dirt cheap price.

03-12-2016, 08:32 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got the Volna 50/1.8 as well and it is fantastic, much better than the Helios that I tried in term of sharpness, I can shoot wide open on APS-C no problem, only the color saturation and contrast is lower than average Japanese made lens. One of the reasons I purchase it was the K mount, it is very trouble to use m42 lens on Pentax due to the back focus distance, the adapter is not easy to install and remove without tool and sometimes got stuck in the camera, I am hoping to see the f1.2 version got a K mount, but bit disappointed it is designed for APS-C not FF.
03-13-2016, 01:20 AM   #36
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chetverovod Quote
If you check the serial number on the photo of lens by your link, you can see that first two numbers "13". It means that lens was made in 2013. So it is "Russian copy of USSR lens"
The first two numbers of mine are 84, does that mean it is produced in 1984? (That means, it should be an UDSSR model, even though it's black and not silver like other versions, right?)
03-13-2016, 01:51 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Yes, you are right 84 means 1984. The lenses with a body painted to black are producing since 50's, so your "black" lens is really from USSR.

Also there are lenses which have first digits 00. Usually it means this is a lens from a preliminary party of this type of lens.

Here you can see images of some of thoes old black lenses:
http://www.photohistory.ru/index.php?

Last edited by Chetverovod; 03-13-2016 at 02:02 AM.
06-01-2016, 04:51 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Well, I own a Volna 50/1.8, and I too tried to chase down the 1.4 and 1.2 models. But after four years of a followed world wide saved search on eBay, no luck.

My guess is these lenses never made it to production outside of a handful of models for VIPs, but that's just a hunch.
Interesting discussion that I missed.

What I know about the Volna lenses is that they were meant to be the standard fifties for the generation of "professional" Soviet cameras of the 80s: namely Kiev 18, Almaz 101,102,103 and perhaps an advanced prototype of Zenit.

The 1.8 is the only one which was produced in decent quantities by Lomo for the Almaz 103 so about 9000 were made, the 1.4 is rarer and came with the few Almaz 102 and 104 that were sold. The 1.2 were just prototypes built by Kiev and Lomo.

Also, it appears the Zenitar 50mm 1.4 and the Volna 4N,K were indeed the same lens.

If KMZ is smart they should remake these lenses, not the bokeh monsters they are working on.