Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
01-13-2016, 12:10 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi Mothballs, Volna-8 very rare lens. Take a look to new lens for cropped camera

MC Zenitar-N 1,2/50s (Nikon)

here:
???????? ???????-N 1,2/50s

Another lenses:
http://shop.zenit-foto.ru/manufacturer/krasnogorskij-zavod-im-s-a-zvereva/ob...ilter_product=

unfortunately only Russian version of the site.

01-13-2016, 01:18 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Google Translate is your friend. I have to say, $230 for a 50mm 1.2 lens isn't bad. I'm surprised they don't make it in K-mount, since all of their SLRs are K-mount...
01-13-2016, 01:57 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by logomancer Quote
Google Translate is your friend. I have to say, $230 for a 50mm 1.2 lens isn't bad. I'm surprised they don't make it in K-mount, since all of their SLRs are K-mount...
Thank you, I am native russian

Earlier, KMZ had made versions of lenses for K-mount, but now it looks like they are doing lenses with M42, Canon, Nikon mounts only. Pentax cameras less common in Russia than Canon or Nikon.
01-13-2016, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I never understood why Zenit doesn't have that website in English as well. It would open up a big international market. A lot of forum users don't even know about that brand of lenses, and even if they do they can't really understand the website or order products. This alone could make K-mount more lucrative for that business

01-13-2016, 05:16 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chetverovod Quote
Thank you, I am native russian

Earlier, KMZ had made versions of lenses for K-mount, but now it looks like they are doing lenses with M42, Canon, Nikon mounts only. Pentax cameras less common in Russia than Canon or Nikon.
I'm actually trying to convince my local store to stock Zenit items...

In any case, it's regrettable it's not in native K mount.
01-13-2016, 09:15 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I never understood why Zenit doesn't have that website in English as well. It would open up a big international market. A lot of forum users don't even know about that brand of lenses, and even if they do they can't really understand the website or order products. This alone could make K-mount more lucrative for that business
I think the main reason is that the production of lenses for cameras is not the main source of income for the Zenit. Basically they do optical systems for military applications.
01-13-2016, 09:38 PM   #22

Original Poster
I think the main reason is that the production of lenses for cameras is not the main source of income for the Zenit. Basically they do optical systems for military applications.
They can be paid to make just about anything though. If I recall, those Petzvals that go for $800 are KMZ glass. Almost makes me want to start a kickstarter to get them to make the Volna again...

01-13-2016, 11:28 PM - 1 Like   #23

Around 3 years ago there was discussion on Russian forum penta-club.ru about ordering K-mount version of Helios 40-2 (85/1.5) from KMZ. The following information was collected:
1. [Official] No problem for KMZ to make K-mount version. There is already a prototype and they were and are producing lens with K-mount. Moreover all produced lens of same type are equal to each other except tail part which changes depending on mount type.
2. [Official] To make K-mount version for the price of Canon or Nikon version, KMZ have to produce at least 50 lens. So, KMZ asked penta-club community to find enough people ready to invest into minimal series.
3. [Insider] Quality is expected to be good though there might be some bad samples (2-3 per 100).
4. [Investigation] Lens are really made in Russia not China.
Community was unable to find enough people to order 50 lens therefore this Helios 40-2 club "activity" stuck at late 2012.
01-13-2016, 11:38 PM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by saper Quote
Around 3 years ago there was discussion on Russian forum penta-club.ru about ordering K-mount version of Helios 40-2 (85/1.5) from KMZ. The following information was collected:
1. [Official] No problem for KMZ to make K-mount version. There is already a prototype and they were and are producing lens with K-mount. Moreover all produced lens of same type are equal to each other except tail part which changes depending on mount type.
2. [Official] To make K-mount version for the price of Canon or Nikon version, KMZ have to produce at least 50 lens. So, KMZ asked penta-club community to find enough people ready to invest into minimal series.
3. [Insider] Quality is expected to be good though there might be some bad samples (2-3 per 100).
Community was unable to find enough people to order 50 lens therefore this Helios 40-2 club "activity" stuck at late 2012.
Yeah. As I said, No problem to get them to Make things, they're pretty mellow like that. It's just getting funding and enough orders.
01-14-2016, 01:14 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mothballs Quote
They can be paid to make just about anything though. If I recall, those Petzvals that go for $800 are KMZ glass. Almost makes me want to start a kickstarter to get them to make the Volna again...
Yes you are right, those Petzvals were manufactured by KMZ. As far as I know Volna-8 was produced by Arsenal (Ukrain, Kiev).

---------- Post added 01-14-16 at 11:31 AM ----------

It would be better if KMZ will produce new lenses with a unified shank "serie A" (like aJupter-37A, Jupiter-9A, Mir-1A and so on) . This shank gives a possibility to use simple adaptors for K, Canon, Nikon, M42. And would be simple to gather crowd from pentaxists, nikonists, canonists, M42ists to make an order for 50 lens.
01-14-2016, 06:30 AM   #26

Original Poster
Yes you are right, those Petzvals were manufactured by KMZ. As far as I know Volna-8 was produced by Arsenal (Ukrain, Kiev).

It would be better if KMZ will produce new lenses with a unified shank "serie A" (like aJupter-37A, Jupiter-9A, Mir-1A and so on) . This shank gives a possibility to use simple adaptors for K, Canon, Nikon, M42. And would be simple to gather crowd from pentaxists, nikonists, canonists, M42ists to make an order for 50 lens.
Yep. Arsenal is defunct last I heard as well.

T mount would be a good idea, most Russian lenses are manual control anyways...
01-14-2016, 09:28 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kp0c Quote
Found this website while looking for a zenitar lens yesterday. Cameras and Lenses / Rugift.com I know nothing about it and I am not affiliated nor do I recommend ordering through them, but a quick look seems to indicate they carry most modern Russian lenses.
Edit : oups, link was posted above - sorry.
I ordered the 16mm FE from Rugift many years ago (back when the lens cost about half what they go for now), and everything went very smoothly. Unless something has changed, they're a great source for the full range of Russian stuff.
03-05-2016, 05:30 PM   #28
Pentaxian

They are on amazon and ebay. For that price I rather buy soviet, Pentax, or German old glass, not Russian copy of USSR lens.
http://www.amazon.com/Russian-Soviet-Helios-40-2-portrait-Camera/dp/B00AXUZ322
03-05-2016, 11:14 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
They are on amazon and ebay. For that price I rather buy soviet, Pentax, or German old glass, not Russian copy of USSR lens.
http://www.amazon.com/Russian-Soviet-Helios-40-2-portrait-Camera/dp/B00AXUZ322
If you check the serial number on the photo of lens by your link, you can see that first two numbers "13". It means that lens was made in 2013. So it is "Russian copy of USSR lens"
03-06-2016, 12:53 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, I own a Volna 50/1.8, and I too tried to chase down the 1.4 and 1.2 models. But after four years of a followed world wide saved search on eBay, no luck.

My guess is these lenses never made it to production outside of a handful of models for VIPs, but that's just a hunch.