Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
01-10-2016, 02:01 PM   #1

Pentax DA* 16-50 on Canon full-frame

Hi everyone!

I hope to be posting under the right section. I have found a similar topic in this forum but still have some questions.

I've been looking into getting an adapter to mount my DA* 16-50 f/2.8 on my Canon 6D body. I'm intending to get the Fotodiox adapter with focus confirmation function and need clarification on a couple points:

-I understand the small aperture lever at the back of the lens will have to be removed (more or less barbarically) as it would otherwise get in the way of the mirror. I know I will be losing AF control and will only get focus confirmation. However, will I still retain aperture control in Av and M modes on a lens with no aperture ring?

-Since I am mounting an APS-C lens on a FF body, I am expecting to get darkened corners at wider apertures, but I mostly shoot landscapes at f/8 or smaller so I'm not expecting this to be a problem. Is there anything else to consider as far as shooting in a crop lens on a FF sensor?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide

01-10-2016, 02:03 PM - 5 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

One question:
WHY?
01-10-2016, 02:33 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That lens won't adequately cover that sensor from what I recall. It will cover the 1.6x cropped section plus perhaps a bit more.
01-10-2016, 02:46 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You'll get alot of vignetting. You might as well just get & use a K-mount manual lens & correct adapter.

01-10-2016, 02:48 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The lens will always be stopped down to F22 without the aperture lever, so you can't really use it. Not to mention the fact that it simply doesn't cover the FF image circle.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/31629-da-lenses-f...ts-thread.html

If you'd like to adapt a Pentax lens onto your canon, look at the F/FA/FA* series or any manual lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-10-2016, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
Thanks a lot for your replies everyone! I suspected it wouldn't be that easy but I thought I'd check anyway.
01-10-2016, 04:49 PM   #7
Pentaxian

That's too good a lens to bastardize. Why not sell it and buy a lens that works with your Canon.

01-11-2016, 12:13 AM   #8
UMC

Photos: Gallery
... and here is the outcome if you mount this lens on a fullframe or analogue body:
First image @16mm focal length,
Second image @ 50mm focal length.

This would be my last lens to use on fullframe...
Attached Images