01-12-2016, 11:55 PM   #16
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You won't regret buying the DFA 100 WR.

Not only for macro.

But also as a moderate tele (e.g. when a spinebill turns up):

It's true about sharpness for portraits, but animals don't mind that.

(This is my beloved pet sheep Oscar, who died last year. RIP.)

01-13-2016, 02:20 AM   #17
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi Lev. I think you will really enjoy using the 100. I know I do. I don't know how "macro ' you want to get, but I saved up for the 1.4x converter and found it to be a great combination. Good luck.
01-13-2016, 02:31 AM   #18
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nice shots!

---------- Post added 01-13-16 at 03:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi Lev. I think you will really enjoy using the 100. I know I do. I don't know how "macro ' you want to get, but I saved up for the 1.4x converter and found it to be a great combination. Good luck.
Hi there, thanks.

Well, I don't think I'll go bayond normal distance... but who knows... I'm very excited about an idea of combination with landscapes and portraits, playing with DoF in this situations.
01-15-2016, 11:24 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Hi, my lens just arrived about 30 minutes ago and I did some tests and found that this lens is really really really sharp. However, I noticed that the lens has sort of an inside barrel which goes inside when focusing far and extends when focusing at close up shots. I have a question, is it safe to put a filter on this lens? Will it not have issued when the inside barrel goes in? I hope you guys can help. Thanks.

01-16-2016, 12:11 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Hi, my lens just arrived about 30 minutes ago and I did some tests and found that this lens is really really really sharp. However, I noticed that the lens has sort of an inside barrel which goes inside when focusing far and extends when focusing at close up shots. I have a question, is it safe to put a filter on this lens? Will it not have issued when the inside barrel goes in? I hope you guys can help. Thanks.
Can you post some pictures of the lens without the lens hood, and the lens at min/max focus? I am just curious about the difference in looks as compared to the non WR version.
01-16-2016, 12:26 AM   #21
Closed Account

Hi totsmuyco. It is perfectly safe to put a filter on this lens. It will not cause any problems.
01-16-2016, 12:44 AM - 1 Like   #22
Huy
Forum Member

I put a B+W 49mm UV filter on it since day 1. Since it's a macro lens, I often find myself crouching on the ground for taking the pictures and the front element is very close to the subject for a macro shoot. I think a good UV filter would do a good job to keep the front element clean

Several tips for using this lens in macro shoot:
- Don't use auto focus. Switch to manual focus,
- Frame you subject and compose
- Move your camera (and yourself) back and forth to focus until the point you want to focus in focus. It's pretty easy to use your eye ball sensor because the DOF is very thin at 100 f 2.8 at a very close distance.
- Squee the shutter release button.
- Practice, practice...

Some shots:

https://flic.kr/p/r5nmR2

https://flic.kr/p/rmJras

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Can you post some pictures of the lens without the lens hood, and the lens at min/max focus? I am just curious about the difference in looks as compared to the non WR version
Check this out:
Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 WR Macro Review - Construction and Handling | PentaxForums.com Reviews

01-16-2016, 02:27 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Huy Quote
I put a B+W 49mm UV filter on it since day 1. Since it's a macro lens, I often find myself crouching on the ground for taking the pictures and the front element is very close to the subject for a macro shoot. I think a good UV filter would do a good job to keep the front element clean

Several tips for using this lens in macro shoot:
- Don't use auto focus. Switch to manual focus,
- Frame you subject and compose
- Move your camera (and yourself) back and forth to focus until the point you want to focus in focus. It's pretty easy to use your eye ball sensor because the DOF is very thin at 100 f 2.8 at a very close distance.
- Squee the shutter release button.
- Practice, practice...

Some shots:

https://flic.kr/p/rmJras

Why don't you try Catch-in-Focus? Set your camera to MF, hold the shutter button pressed as you move back and forth and when the subject is in focus, the shutter will trip and take a shot. If you are serious about MF macro, invest in a quality split prism focus screen, the default AF focus screen simply is not accurate enough to achieve critical focus with it.

Thanks for pointing out the review of the lens - interesting how the old D-FA mechanism was transported into a WR, metal jacket. The rounded aperture blades bodes well for pleasing highlights in the OOF area but the lack of an aperture ring is a big minus imo. You cannot use this lens with a non-Pentax digital camera or put it in front of any extension tubes or teleconverters without contacts, which I do a lot of with my lenses. The positive aspects of this lens, mainly the WR, rounded aperture blades and the current price makes this lens very attractive but I must suppress my LBA urges as I have too many macro lenses at this focal length.

OTOH, if Pentax does the WR makeover with the D-FA 50/2.8 macro, I would be real tempted even though I already have the lens.
01-16-2016, 04:01 AM   #24
Pentaxian

For the benefit of excanonfd, I've attached the pictures.

As for everyone, thanks. I've already ordered my filter.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
01-16-2016, 05:11 AM   #25
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Huy Quote
and also protect it from damage... there are many complains about wether or not UV filter is important. Some say yes, some no but in reality I don't want even to imagine situation when you discover scratched front element.
01-16-2016, 05:40 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
and also protect it from damage... there are many complains about wether or not UV filter is important. Some say yes, some no but in reality I don't want even to imagine situation when you discover scratched front element.
I totally agree. UV or skylight filters are just there for protection.
01-16-2016, 02:26 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I totally agree. UV or skylight filters are just there for protection.
Thanks for the pictures of the lens - the front element seem to be recessed a little deeper than than the front elements on my D-FA 50/2.8 Macro, would you be able to confirm that (more pics please of the front element)?

The D-FA 100/2.8 WR has a minimum focus distance of 30cm. Measure the length of the lens with the lens hood attached, add 4.5cm for the register distance to the sensor to obtain physical size of the camera/lens combination. Subtract the camera/lens combination from the 30cm and you now have the closest working distance from the front of your lens to the subject - you should have about 10-15 cm of working distance.

The point of all this, is that you really do not need a filter to protect your lens if you always attach the lens hood. The lens' front element will sufficiently be recessed in the lens hood during normal shooting distance and even if you are shooting at 1:1 macro, the front element will never protrude beyond the front of the lens hood and you still have about 10-15cm of air space to your subject. I normally don't shoot with filters attached though I do carry one for shooting between branches or in a windy, dusty conditions - a UV lens may just be another expense that you need not incur but if your objective is to keep the lens at it's pristine condition, a good quality filter is the best way to go.
01-17-2016, 06:41 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Thanks for the pictures of the lens - the front element seem to be recessed a little deeper than than the front elements on my D-FA 50/2.8 Macro, would you be able to confirm that (more pics please of the front element)?

The D-FA 100/2.8 WR has a minimum focus distance of 30cm. Measure the length of the lens with the lens hood attached, add 4.5cm for the register distance to the sensor to obtain physical size of the camera/lens combination. Subtract the camera/lens combination from the 30cm and you now have the closest working distance from the front of your lens to the subject - you should have about 10-15 cm of working distance.

The point of all this, is that you really do not need a filter to protect your lens if you always attach the lens hood. The lens' front element will sufficiently be recessed in the lens hood during normal shooting distance and even if you are shooting at 1:1 macro, the front element will never protrude beyond the front of the lens hood and you still have about 10-15cm of air space to your subject. I normally don't shoot with filters attached though I do carry one for shooting between branches or in a windy, dusty conditions - a UV lens may just be another expense that you need not incur but if your objective is to keep the lens at it's pristine condition, a good quality filter is the best way to go.
Sorry about the additional pictures but that's the closest that I can get. That lens is my only macro lens.
01-18-2016, 08:54 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was gonna start a thread on suggestions for my next lens due to recent price drops, however I found this one and will be ordering the 100mm macro lol guess the 77ltd will wait till summer....

JJ
01-18-2016, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #30

Received mine Thursday, very cold here so limited use so far. But really liking this lens so far although still learning it. Waiting for the FA 77 Limited doesn't bother me so much now

As mentioned the DA* 1.4x tc works well with this lens, and outside of macro auto focusing works very well with and without it. Shot this through the sliding glass door 140mm @ f/6.3

And it is a good portrait lens for animals, I agree. @ f/10.0

Wide open @ 2.8 with chrome and bright sun of course get purple fringing but knowing that about bright shinny objects and light with this lens it is easy enough to avoid

I have no regrets at all about purchasing this lens. A gentleman on here was kind enough to sell me a ring flash for it at a price I could afford and should be getting that tomorrow. I look forward to trying my hand at snowflake shots although I'm in no hurry for it to snow again!