Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2016, 07:36 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deepbluish Quote
I probably should have mentioned this in the beginning, but I actually already own a fully functional 35-105mm f3.5 lens against which I compared the faulty one. On the proper one, the focus does change a bit with change in focal length, but nowhere near this much.

I double checked just to be sure, and I've just focused on a target at 105mm FL and distance scale showed around 1.5m. Then, I zoomed out to 35mm, refocused and the distance scale was on the infinity mark. That cannot be right.

It seems that more often than not focusing is not possible at all when zooming out from 105mm to 35mm. It just does not find the target.
Yeah, I would say you probably should have mentioned that... And did a little more testing to try to identify the obvious malfunction.

01-13-2016, 08:47 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have this lens and definitely it is parfocal in the non-macro mode. It does appear that the OP's copy has a mechanical problem. It is definitely not a "stack of primes" but pretty close to it. The only thing that prevents me from using it more often regularly is its heft. Otherwise, the image quality is amazing for such a zoom with so many elements.
01-14-2016, 09:20 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

f anybody is familiar with this kind of a problem, I'd really appreciate any feedback whether this is something repairable.
If your zoom lens has no issues then note the following:

The A35-105/3.5 is a "two touch" zoom and is different from the "one touch" design used in the A70-210/4.

Here is an excerpt from the Pentax A Series lens manual for the recommended way to focus/zoom each type of lens.

Phil.
Attached Images

01-14-2016, 03:05 PM   #19

Original Poster
Thanks, Phil, but it's pretty much clear that I've bought a lemon.

01-14-2016, 03:07 PM   #20
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

send it back for a refund?
01-14-2016, 03:41 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep I would agree, my A35-105 and A70-210 work as described in the manual.

Phil.
01-14-2016, 03:59 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
I hate its ergonomics
I can understand that: I just regard it as part of the len's "charm".

01-14-2016, 04:56 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Send it to Eric. Maybe he can fix it for a reasonable sum.
01-14-2016, 06:41 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chmance Quote
The only thing that prevents me from using it more often regularly is its heft.
It's definitely a heavy lens...but that's also what makes it a good match for my K10D, which is a bit of a large, heavy camera itself. I just pair the 35-105mm with my Tokina 80-200 f2.8, call it my 'heavy metal' kit, and resign myself to using them. That kit isn't my walk-around choice, but it's definitely my choice when I can work close to my car.
01-15-2016, 06:57 AM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chmance Quote
The only thing that prevents me from using it more often regularly is its heft. Otherwise, the image quality is amazing for such a zoom with so many elements.
QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
One of these days I'll get round to selling mine since I hate its ergonomics so much ...
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
It's definitely a heavy lens...but that's also what makes it a good match for my K10D, which is a bit of a large, heavy camera itself. I just pair the 35-105mm with my Tokina 80-200 f2.8, call it my 'heavy metal' kit, and resign myself to using them. That kit isn't my walk-around choice, but it's definitely my choice when I can work close to my car.
Have any of you used the A 35-105/3.5's big brother, the A 28-135/4 (the "tower of primes")? It's larger and heavier (it has even more glass within), but it is constructed in the same fashion (it even has the exact same "macro shift" functionality). But, a couple of decades ago, the A 28-135/4 was my goto wedding lens of choice (on an LX).
01-16-2016, 04:38 AM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Send it to Eric. Maybe he can fix it for a reasonable sum.
I don't live in the US, so that really isn't an option.

Refund is also not an option anymore.

I'll try to send it for repair to a local repairshop. For some reason, I don't think it's anything major, it just feels like something is loose inside it. I wish I had the knowledge/courage to do the surgery myself. I've tried it before, but ended up with extra parts which did not seem to belong anywhere, yet came from somewhere.

35-105 is a heavy lens, but not that heavy. I always support it with my entire hand. My middle finger lands right on the zooming ring and index finger on the focus ring. What I do find cumbersome is that sometimes to obtain accurate focus you find yourself in that transition zone between normal focus and macro focus.
01-16-2016, 04:49 AM   #27
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

35-105 is a heavy lens, but not that heavy. I always support it with my entire hand. My middle finger lands right on the zooming ring and index finger on the focus ring. What I do find cumbersome is that sometimes to obtain accurate focus you find yourself in that transition zone between normal focus and macro focus.
agreed with the transition zone; I've learned to take a step, either towards or away from the subject....