Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2016, 07:07 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
...post it on the marketplace with "make me an offer".
You must specify a price, though you can take offers.

01-13-2016, 07:15 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I have a friend in Missouri who would like to get into photography and who has limited means. Would you be prepared to donate her a few lenses?

Absolutely! I have a couple of very nice Promaster AF )IF) 28-80mm lenses and I'll gladly send one to her. I've also got some nice zooms. I'll cherry pick one as well as a couple of primes and be more than happy to donate them. People of little means have a special place in my heart! I have been.... and AM in... that situation, myself. But, I've been fortunate enough through some very deft horse trading to end up with a slew of lenses I no longer have any use for. I scrounge yard sales, Craig's List and never miss a thrift shop if I can help it.

How about a good external flash? Can she use one? I have seven or eight of them. I think I might have a Vivitar Thrystor. (sp?) and several Pentax's also.

I almost laughed out loud at the one poster who said something about me being "lucky enough to have more disposable income than I really know what to do with." If he only knew!

Send me an address and I'll see that she gets them. It would make my day to help someone in need.

Regards,
The guy with "more money than he knows what to do with!"

---------- Post added 01-13-16 at 07:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wibbly Quote
given that you are a carpenter. why don't you build a glass topped coffee table with the lenses on display below the glass? or build a clock with a lens for each hour?

My days of building things are long gone! I just don't have the wherewithal or the stamina to stand on my feet for that long. Bad back, hips and knees.
01-13-2016, 07:23 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Absolutely! I have a couple of very nice Promaster AF )IF) 28-80mm lenses and I'll gladly send one to her. I've also got some nice zooms. I'll cherry pick one as well as a couple of primes and be more than happy to donate them. People of little means have a special place in my heart! I have been.... and AM in... that situation, myself. But, I've been fortunate enough through some very deft horse trading to end up with a slew of lenses I no longer have any use for. I scrounge yard sales, Craig's List and never miss a thrift shop if I can help it.

How about a good external flash? Can she use one? I have seven or eight of them. I think I might have a Vivitar Thrystor. (sp?) and several Pentax's also.

I almost laughed out loud at the one poster who said something about me being "lucky enough to have more disposable income than I really know what to do with." If he only knew!

Send me an address and I'll see that she gets them. It would make my day to help someone in need.

Regards,
The guy with "more money than he knows what to do with!"

---------- Post added 01-13-16 at 07:18 PM ----------

My days of building things are long gone! I just don't have the wherewithal or the stamina to stand on my feet for that long. Bad back, hips and knees.
You're a star! I'll get her to confirm her address and I'll PM you. She's just getting into photography and am saving for a secondhand Pentax dslr body. So, a few usable lenses will be very useful. Flashes probably less so, but a selection of different focal length lenses will be fantastic. Thank you very much! (I would have sent her one or two of mine by now, but the distance makes the freight cost a bit silly!)
01-13-2016, 07:35 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
You're a star! I'll get her to confirm her address and I'll PM you. She's just getting into photography and am saving for a secondhand Pentax dslr body. So, a few usable lenses will be very useful. Flashes probably less so, but a selection of different focal length lenses will be fantastic. Thank you very much! (I would have sent her one or two of mine by now, but the distance makes the freight cost a bit silly!)

Very cool! Since she's just beginning, do you think manual lenses will be that much of a problem for her? As I said, I have a very clean Promaster 28-80 that is auto-focus, but it doesn't have the close-focus feature. I also have a Takumar 28-80 AF that DOES have the "macro" close-focus feature. I might as well send them BOTH to her. That way, she can take some close-up shots of flowers and such. Women are like that..... as well as a few of us guys!

I've got a couple of M-50mm lenses, so I'll pick a good f:1.7 for her and include it, too. It's not AF, but.... it will be good experience for her.

Oh yeah, I just happened to remember.... I have a pristine, NIB Sears-A 60-300mm with 1:4 close focus that I can sent, too.

Thanks Mark. This made my day!

01-13-2016, 07:55 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm in a quandary. What to do. What TO do? Donate them to the local Goodwill, you say? No, I've seen how they're treated. Thrown in a shopping cart, like so much cord-wood. I just couldn't see good lenses treated like that. I'd rather let them continue taking up space in my lens cabinet than do that.

Not long ago, I had several lenses that were NOT Pentax mount lenses.... actually quite nice ones.... and I gladly and willingly "donated" them to a PF poster. I never got as much as a note saying thanks. What the hell is wrong with people now-a-days? I don't know.... maybe I'm just too old school. You know, back in the days when we said thank you, and please and such.... and meant it? That was just part of good up-bringing.

I'll get down off my soap box now.... and quit my ranting and rambling on. But, you see my point? I guess it's a lot like having a wheelbarrow full of typewriters, eh?
I feel your pain, Dewman. I recently gave a way a couple lenses here, and while one recipient expressed his gratitude both before and after receiving the lens, another recipient - a longtime member here and certainly no spring chicken - was apparently so overwhelmed to receive the lens that the thought of saying "Thank You" after delivery has slipped his mind.

And the youngest (I think) PF member here, well, I offered him a lens, and he was effusive in his gratitude. Then a couple days later he decided it was too similar to one he already had, so declined it - and still thanked me for the offer. Maybe, sometimes, new school is the old school.

Anyway, it is very kind of you to give away these lenses, and thank you for being a generous person.
01-13-2016, 07:58 PM   #21
Forum Member

That's nice, exchanging stuff between photography enthousiasts. I've just bought my first prime lens for a tiny price and I'm really happy with it.

Although, and that's maybe just me, but I wouldn't give it away. I could sell it really cheap for what they are, but I know for a fact that, myself, I prefer something I bought than something that was given away (I enjoy gifts from people I know, but from strangers, it's a little weird). Meh, maybe that's just me.
01-13-2016, 08:07 PM   #22
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vankasteelj Quote
Meh, maybe that's just me.
Just you

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
And the youngest (I think) PF member here, well, I offered him a lens, and he was effusive in his gratitude. Then a couple days later he decided it was too similar to one he already had, so declined it - and still thanked me for the offer. Maybe, sometimes, new school is the old school.
who's that?

01-13-2016, 08:10 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I've got a wheelbarrow-load of older, third-party, all Pentax-mount, mostly manual lenses that I will likely never use. A few primes, but mostly zooms of the 70-200mm range. Some are superbly sharp.... like some of the older Vivitar 70-210mm, 80-200mm and 75-210mm zooms. I've got Osawas, Samyangs, Cosinas, Tuo-Five Star, Soligors, Sears, CPCs, ..... and all are in good condition. I just have no use for them. But, at the same time, they have SOME value. Not that I'm wanting to make any money off of them.... heck, I'd gladly GIVE them to someone if I thought they could/would use them.

I collected them over the past few years while I was "learning the ropes" about the digital photography world. It would be more trouble than it's worth to get them all out and individually photograph them.... I think. Who knows. Maybe I'll suddenly get the wherewithal during a rainy day soon and drag them out and spend the day having a marathon lens shooting event!

I'm in a quandary. What to do. What TO do? Donate them to the local Goodwill, you say? No, I've seen how they're treated. Thrown in a shopping cart, like so much cord-wood. I just couldn't see good lenses treated like that. I'd rather let them continue taking up space in my lens cabinet than do that.

Not long ago, I had several lenses that were NOT Pentax mount lenses.... actually quite nice ones.... and I gladly and willingly "donated" them to a PF poster. I never got as much as a note saying thanks. What the hell is wrong with people now-a-days? I don't know.... maybe I'm just too old school. You know, back in the days when we said thank you, and please and such.... and meant it? That was just part of good up-bringing.

I'll get down off my soap box now.... and quit my ranting and rambling on. But, you see my point? I guess it's a lot like having a wheelbarrow full of typewriters, eh?
I would be happy to take one or a few off your hands and would be very greatfull. people now a days think people owe them something and think that is was their right to have that its not about the please and thank you's any more and that is what is wrong with a lot of people.
01-13-2016, 08:14 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I was given a lens once when I first started out, with the understand that when I outgrew or no longer used it then it would be passed along to another new user. I not only did that, but tossed in an A 50 f/2. He was thankful.
01-13-2016, 08:35 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very cool! Since she's just beginning, do you think manual lenses will be that much of a problem for her? As I said, I have a very clean Promaster 28-80 that is auto-focus, but it doesn't have the close-focus feature. I also have a Takumar 28-80 AF that DOES have the "macro" close-focus feature. I might as well send them BOTH to her. That way, she can take some close-up shots of flowers and such. Women are like that..... as well as a few of us guys!

I've got a couple of M-50mm lenses, so I'll pick a good f:1.7 for her and include it, too. It's not AF, but.... it will be good experience for her.

Oh yeah, I just happened to remember.... I have a pristine, NIB Sears-A 60-300mm with 1:4 close focus that I can sent, too.

Thanks Mark. This made my day!
Cool! I think manual lenses are great to learn with - but then I'm old! You're right - she likes photographing flowers. Anythiong really - will be a good start. As noted, she does not have the means to buy the perfect kit, so this will be a fantastic start for her.
01-13-2016, 08:39 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lguckert79 Quote
I would be happy to take one or a few off your hands and would be very greatfull. people now a days think people owe them something and think that is was their right to have that its not about the please and thank you's any more and that is what is wrong with a lot of people.

If there is a specific focal length, let me know and I'll see what I've got. It's not like I want to just send an arm-load of them out just to "get rid of them," but would be delighted to see them go to someone who needs them or would plan on playing around with them. Know what I mean?

I'm always surprised to see just how sharp some of these old lenses actually are.... especially the Vivitar's. Amazing, and very capable of taking some amazing photographs.
01-13-2016, 08:40 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
who's that?
I don't want to risk embarrassing him...
01-13-2016, 09:21 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dewman,
what Samyang lens do you have?
01-13-2016, 09:24 PM   #29
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dewman, your generosity is much appreciated by your fellow Pentaxians! This is so thoughtful & kind to help this young lady!
01-13-2016, 09:27 PM   #30
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I feel your pain, Dewman. I recently gave a way a couple lenses here, and while one recipient expressed his gratitude both before and after receiving the lens, another recipient - a longtime member here and certainly no spring chicken - was apparently so overwhelmed to receive the lens that the thought of saying "Thank You" after delivery has slipped his mind.
That is such a shame that one recipient failed to express his appreciation to you. Thankfully, I believe among the members here, that he is in a very slim minority of not responding to kindness given.