Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
01-13-2016, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

What to do with all these lenses?

I've got a wheelbarrow-load of older, third-party, all Pentax-mount, mostly manual lenses that I will likely never use. A few primes, but mostly zooms of the 70-200mm range. Some are superbly sharp.... like some of the older Vivitar 70-210mm, 80-200mm and 75-210mm zooms. I've got Osawas, Samyangs, Cosinas, Tuo-Five Star, Soligors, Sears, CPCs, ..... and all are in good condition. I just have no use for them. But, at the same time, they have SOME value. Not that I'm wanting to make any money off of them.... heck, I'd gladly GIVE them to someone if I thought they could/would use them.

I collected them over the past few years while I was "learning the ropes" about the digital photography world. It would be more trouble than it's worth to get them all out and individually photograph them.... I think. Who knows. Maybe I'll suddenly get the wherewithal during a rainy day soon and drag them out and spend the day having a marathon lens shooting event!

I'm in a quandary. What to do. What TO do? Donate them to the local Goodwill, you say? No, I've seen how they're treated. Thrown in a shopping cart, like so much cord-wood. I just couldn't see good lenses treated like that. I'd rather let them continue taking up space in my lens cabinet than do that.

Not long ago, I had several lenses that were NOT Pentax mount lenses.... actually quite nice ones.... and I gladly and willingly "donated" them to a PF poster. I never got as much as a note saying thanks. What the hell is wrong with people now-a-days? I don't know.... maybe I'm just too old school. You know, back in the days when we said thank you, and please and such.... and meant it? That was just part of good up-bringing.

I'll get down off my soap box now.... and quit my ranting and rambling on. But, you see my point? I guess it's a lot like having a wheelbarrow full of typewriters, eh?

01-13-2016, 05:51 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sorry, but I struggle to see what sort of a response you're expecting from this post.You've discounted the two most obvious options ,donating them to charity or fellow PFers.
You just seem to be saying "Look at me ,I've been lucky enough to have more disposable income than I really know what to do with"??!

Last edited by timb64; 01-13-2016 at 05:58 PM.
01-13-2016, 05:55 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Post them in the Marketplace and see what develops.
01-13-2016, 06:01 PM   #4

I would be happy to take a 75-210 (or longer) zoom and a 35mm (fastest) off your hands if you have one. I'd be happy to make a modest charitable contribution on your behalf in exchange.

Thanks.

01-13-2016, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would make a list of as much info as you have and post it on the marketplace with "make me an offer". That way, you don't waste time shooting pictures and you get people who are at least interested enough to pay something. A few bucks plus shipping & packing and maybe some go to a good home.
01-13-2016, 06:14 PM - 6 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
You just seem to be saying "Look at me ,I've been lucky enough to have more disposable income than I really know what to do with"??!

Little do you know. I subsist on Social Security and a VERY modest Carpenter's Union pension. That's it. So, maybe you should know what you're talking about before you make statements like that.

I
01-13-2016, 06:19 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rtgold Quote
I would be happy to take a 75-210 (or longer) zoom and a 35mm (fastest) off your hands if you have one. I'd be happy to make a modest charitable contribution on your behalf in exchange.

Thanks.
You've got it! PM me with an address and I'll send you a nice Vivitar lens in that focal length. Here's a sample shot with it.

Last edited by Dewman; 03-30-2016 at 02:51 PM.
01-13-2016, 06:24 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You could sell them (in bulk so to speak) to KEH or to one of the re-sellers in the marketplace. Sure you won't get top dollar but--at our age--there are probably better things to do with our time than selling & shipping lenses one at a time at $30 a pop.
01-13-2016, 06:24 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I've got a wheelbarrow-load of older, third-party, all Pentax-mount, mostly manual lenses that I will likely never use. A few primes, but mostly zooms of the 70-200mm range. Some are superbly sharp.... like some of the older Vivitar 70-210mm, 80-200mm and 75-210mm zooms. I've got Osawas, Samyangs, Cosinas, Tuo-Five Star, Soligors, Sears, CPCs, ..... and all are in good condition. I just have no use for them. But, at the same time, they have SOME value. Not that I'm wanting to make any money off of them.... heck, I'd gladly GIVE them to someone if I thought they could/would use them.

I collected them over the past few years while I was "learning the ropes" about the digital photography world. It would be more trouble than it's worth to get them all out and individually photograph them.... I think. Who knows. Maybe I'll suddenly get the wherewithal during a rainy day soon and drag them out and spend the day having a marathon lens shooting event!

I'm in a quandary. What to do. What TO do? Donate them to the local Goodwill, you say? No, I've seen how they're treated. Thrown in a shopping cart, like so much cord-wood. I just couldn't see good lenses treated like that. I'd rather let them continue taking up space in my lens cabinet than do that.

Not long ago, I had several lenses that were NOT Pentax mount lenses.... actually quite nice ones.... and I gladly and willingly "donated" them to a PF poster. I never got as much as a note saying thanks. What the hell is wrong with people now-a-days? I don't know.... maybe I'm just too old school. You know, back in the days when we said thank you, and please and such.... and meant it? That was just part of good up-bringing.

I'll get down off my soap box now.... and quit my ranting and rambling on. But, you see my point? I guess it's a lot like having a wheelbarrow full of typewriters, eh?
You're a site supporter. Go ahead and post them for sale. That way you get people who would enjoy them, you get a bit of cash, and everyone wins because they will be treated good!
01-13-2016, 06:27 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Veteran Member

given that you are a carpenter. why don't you build a glass topped coffee table with the lenses on display below the glass? or build a clock with a lens for each hour?
01-13-2016, 06:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Post them in the Marketplace and see what develops.

Yes, and in addition one may try the ebay option. People here would treat them well. I may even want a few, as I've taken an interest in good old glass.
01-13-2016, 06:52 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You could contact a local high school, many still use film bodies, including the trusty K-1000, to teach the principles of photography as well as darkroom techniques. I have several K1000's an MEs I plan to donate, with a couple of zoom lenses.

Since you are offering, I'm looking for anything 28mm and wider, especially in the 8 to 17mm range.
01-13-2016, 06:54 PM   #13
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

haven't I been here before?
01-13-2016, 07:00 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a friend in Missouri who would like to get into photography and who has limited means. Would you be prepared to donate her a few lenses?
01-13-2016, 07:03 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Since you are offering, I'm looking for anything 28mm and wider, especially in the 8 to 17mm range.

Sorry, I can't help with the wide angle lenses.