Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2016, 08:19 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax 100mm 4.0 SMC Macro Lens Haze Cleaning

I just won a Pentax 100mm 4.0 SMC Macro Lens from ebay for 45 bucks shipped. It was cheap since it has haze on the inside of the front element. I have been looking around the inter webs for videos on how to take this thing apart and clean it, and thought I would post here to see if anyone had an exploded parts diagram or advice on what to do.

From what I can gather, I need to remove the front name plate, under which there is a lock ring to take out and that should release the front element. Is that correct?

I also heard that I should use Methyl Alcohol for cleaning the haze if normal lens cleaning solution doesn't work. Any thoughts here as well?

Any help would be appreciated!

01-14-2016, 08:40 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use a piece of suitable diameter plastic pipe with double sided sticky tape folded over one end to unscrew a nameplate. A rubber bung can also work. You may need to improvise a lens spanner for a locking ring. Acetone (nail varnish remover) to clean haze - stronger solvent than an alcohol.

More general info:
Basic techniques to repair lenses (and cameras)
(unfortunately pics lost)
01-14-2016, 08:55 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

100mm macro is known to have separation problem. the first two elements are glued together and many of them have cement (resin)decay after so many years.
If the haze you see is right under the front glass, it is very likely the separation and there is no easy to to clean it.
01-14-2016, 09:09 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
well that sucks if separation is the issue. any ideas what to do about it? can I some how dissolve the adhesive and then reapply?

01-14-2016, 09:15 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by W.j.christy Quote
any ideas what to do about it? can I some how dissolve the adhesive and then reapply?
You might, but it is very difficult to polish the lens, re-glue and align them accurately.

I have one same lens has same problem. If the haze is not too bad, you can still get wonderful pictures from it. Just forget the issue and use it. If the haze is very bad and affect the IQ obviously in your test, you might want to return the lens if you can.
01-14-2016, 09:33 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
this is a pic of the front of the lens. thoughts? I may be able to cancel the order no harm no foul.
Attached Images

01-14-2016, 09:47 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Most likely lens separation. However you still might get quite sharp pics with it.

Seb

01-14-2016, 09:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I bought mine a year and a half ago and right away I noticed that the front element was sort of hazy. The seller told me that it wasn't fungus but the deterioration of the balsam/cement used to glue the first two front glass elements. Apparently this is a common problem to this macro. The good news is ... it does not seem to affect image quality as far as I can tell. In fact, it has produced some wonderful macro images under different lighting condition. One thing I have noticed though is its tendency to flare inordinately when used for landscape shots with the sun in the frame or close to the frame. Perhaps that is related to the haze. Nevertheless, I love this lens given its razor-sharp resolution, high colour contrast, and pleasing bokeh.
01-14-2016, 10:13 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought one in similar condition except the seller listed it as "like new" And of course the seller promptly vanished from the face of the earth when I complained and ebay was no help at all for some reason.

Anyway, I sent it to Eric who was able to separate the elements, polish and reglue. It came back it great shape and I gifted it to my daughter in law. Based on Eric's description of the repair this is not something that I would suggest the average person attempt. The haze does not look too bad, so either use it as is or get a quote from a repair shop (or Eric). You might also check with @Dcshooter who is a member here, he does some repairs though I've no idea if he would do this.
01-14-2016, 10:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I bought one in similar condition except the seller listed it as "like new" And of course the seller promptly vanished from the face of the earth when I complained and ebay was no help at all for some reason.

Anyway, I sent it to Eric who was able to separate the elements, polish and reglue. It came back it great shape and I gifted it to my daughter in law. Based on Eric's description of the repair this is not something that I would suggest the average person attempt. The haze does not look too bad, so either use it as is or get a quote from a repair shop (or Eric). You might also check with @Dcshooter who is a member here, he does some repairs though I've no idea if he would do this.
Hi Jatrax,

Do you recall how much you paid Eric to get yours repaired? I might consider sending mine since I love this macro very much.

Thanks.

Cheers!

Charlie
01-14-2016, 10:33 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi
Jatrax,

Could you send Eric's info and if you do recall, what the pricing was. If it's not much I may have him do the work.
01-14-2016, 11:35 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by chmance Quote
I bought mine a year and a half ago and right away I noticed that the front element was sort of hazy. The seller told me that it wasn't fungus but the deterioration of the balsam/cement used to glue the first two front glass elements. Apparently this is a common problem to this macro. The good news is ... it does not seem to affect image quality as far as I can tell. In fact, it has produced some wonderful macro images under different lighting condition. One thing I have noticed though is its tendency to flare inordinately when used for landscape shots with the sun in the frame or close to the frame. Perhaps that is related to the haze. Nevertheless, I love this lens given its razor-sharp resolution, high colour contrast, and pleasing bokeh.
I bought mine from a flea market, I was so excited to get it for 5$, quickly realized the front element is hazy. The haze definitely effects image quality on mine, pictures are sharp but the contrast is wrecked, everything looks like I'm shooting into the sun unless stopped down quite a bit.
01-14-2016, 11:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Hi Jatrax,

Do you recall how much you paid Eric to get yours repaired? I might consider sending mine since I love this macro very much.

Thanks.

Cheers!

Charlie
Hi
Jatrax,

Could you send Eric's info and if you do recall, what the pricing was. If it's not much I may have him do the work.
Home
01-14-2016, 11:55 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Home
(Thank you Bertwert )
I believe the cost was around $100 - 125. I remember thinking that with the cost of the repair, the cost of the lens and all the shipping I should have just bought a good one from KEH. The cost total was just about the same.
But you would have to ask Eric about an actual quote, my memory is fallible . He told me at the time he had to source the glue from Pentax and it took a month or so. Whether that would be true now or not I don't know.
01-14-2016, 12:07 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Home
(Thank you Bertwert )
I believe the cost was around $100 - 125. I remember thinking that with the cost of the repair, the cost of the lens and all the shipping I should have just bought a good one from KEH. The cost total was just about the same.
But you would have to ask Eric about an actual quote, my memory is fallible . He told me at the time he had to source the glue from Pentax and it took a month or so. Whether that would be true now or not I don't know.
Thanks for the quick reply : )