Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-16-2016, 03:05 AM   #1

My blog about Baby Steps into Photography : Beginners Photography

I had written this blog about my views and experiences since I had started taking interest in Photography.

I've taken examples of Pentax K-S2, Nikon D5500, D3300, Canon 760D/T6s, Sony A6000.

I would want it to help beginners in Photography to make good decision when they choose their cameras.

Would like to know how you guys feel about it. Any advice and improvements pertaining to information and/or literature are welcome.

It is also my first blog, so any advice about increasing viewership, how to write a blog, etc. is welcome.

here's the Link:

Baby Steps into Photography : A Beginners Guide to Photography

tweaknhack.blogspot.in

01-16-2016, 04:51 AM - 1 Like   #2

This is a commendable initiative you are undertaking, Anu.

I have three suggestions:

1. For "baby steps" you introduce many technical terms without explaining what they mean.

I suggest you link technical terms at least the first time you introduce them to a glossary. The following terms should be explained or defined DSLR, superzoom, optical zoom, sensor, RAW, MP, etc...

2. I'd be inclined to divide your initial blog into smaller digestible blogs with their own conclusions such as:
  • Why Sensors are important (say)
  • SuperZooms v DSLR (say)
  • Know your DSLR - entry, mid, pro level
  • Mirrorless cameras (pro & con)
  • The main brands (inc Pentax)
  • What to buy and why?
3. You could foreshadow what will appear in coming blogs and post links to other relevant beginner-enthusiast sites (including PF of course).
01-16-2016, 06:34 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnhilvert Quote
This is a commendable initiative you are undertaking, Anu.

I have three suggestions:

1. For "baby steps" you introduce many technical terms without explaining what they mean.

I suggest you link technical terms at least the first time you introduce them to a glossary. The following terms should be explained or defined DSLR, superzoom, optical zoom, sensor, RAW, MP, etc...

2. I'd be inclined to divide your initial blog into smaller digestible blogs with their own conclusions such as:
  • Why Sensors are important (say)
  • SuperZooms v DSLR (say)
  • Know your DSLR - entry, mid, pro level
  • Mirrorless cameras (pro & con)
  • The main brands (inc Pentax)
  • What to buy and why?
3. You could foreshadow what will appear in coming blogs and post links to other relevant beginner-enthusiast sites (including PF of course).
Thanks very much for the suggestion.

I'll see what changes could be made from the points you made.
:-)
01-16-2016, 07:35 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes i would echo john's comments.
I think your structure is good but needs to be adhered to more strictly. So you started with your P520. In discussing this keep your language non tech, reflecting youself as you were before you learnt about ASA etc then when you introduce terms like ASA, noise, pixel peeping explain what you mean/what they are, reflecting your own learning curve.
So you might start:
"I started with a Nikon P520. This is an example of a camera often referred to as a bridge camera. It's USP is a huge zoom range. So it can go from a very wide field of view, to a very narrow field of view, which is effectively high magnification, all with just the same fixed lens. These bridge cameras are only possible with digital technology, the zoom range these cameras offer would have been impossible on a film camera, and are pretty amazing pieces of kit. . But there is a compromise: it's made possible by using a small sensor in the camera.
... discuss sensors... etc"

Then ideally you would have pics to illustrate eg noise, field of view, or at least links.

One other point: your sensor size pic is not to scale - should have "not actual size" on it at least.

01-16-2016, 07:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Remembering back several years ago when I was totally green and new to digital...and with no prior film experience......everything I read overwhelmed me. There was too much coming at me too fast. I'm not certain this can be avoided, but the simpler, the better.

Maybe a quick guide for each setting/function and what result will follow? The best advice I received was to take tons of shots and analyze the results to see where I went wrong and how to correct it. I still use this method. Digital is forgiving...the delete button is still my friend!

Regards...Nice Blog!
01-16-2016, 09:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd suggest when you use images found from the internet you make sure you are following the licencing terms. Some require attribution, and even if they don't it's still nice to do.
01-16-2016, 12:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Good design for the website. Nice and clean and simple but modern. I would make you posts much shorter. In today's world, people are looking for fast information and won't have time to read a post that long. Maybe you could break it up and make several articles out of it, each addressing a different aspect.

01-16-2016, 12:29 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I'd suggest when you use images found from the internet you make sure you are following the licencing terms. Some require attribution, and even if they don't it's still nice to do.
all of the pictures I have used are either taken by be or have usage rights tagged as "Labelled for reuse" in google images. I think that should take care of copyright issues.
01-16-2016, 07:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by anu l Quote
all of the pictures I have used are either taken by be or have usage rights tagged as "Labelled for reuse" in google images. I think that should take care of copyright issues.
You might want to look more carefully at what "Labeled for reuse" means. https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/29508?hl=en

"Note: Before reusing content, make sure that its license is legitimate and check the exact terms of reuse. For example, the license might require that you give credit to the image creator when you use the image. "

The google image search for "d7100" & usage rights of "free to use or share, even commercially" leads to wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikon_D7100#/media/File:Nikon_D7100_DSC7312EC.jpg

which says it's under CC BY-SA 3.0, which includes:

"Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use."

Whether they need to or not, I stop reading pretty much any website that uses other people's images like this without credit. I think it's disrespectful, especially when a photographer does it to another photographer, and not a great example to set for your target audience.
01-16-2016, 11:01 PM   #10

Original Poster
You might want to look more carefully at what "Labeled for reuse" means. https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/29508?hl=en

"Note: Before reusing content, make sure that its license is legitimate and check the exact terms of reuse. For example, the license might require that you give credit to the image creator when you use the image. "

The google image search for "d7100" & usage rights of "free to use or share, even commercially" leads to wikipedia:

"Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use."

Whether they need to or not, I stop reading pretty much any website that uses other people's images like this without credit. I think it's disrespectful, especially when a photographer does it to another photographer, and not a great example to set for your target audience.
I didn't know this.
Thanks for the info. will consider all above points.
01-17-2016, 03:09 AM - 1 Like   #11

Original Poster

I have now made appropriate changes to the blog; have mentioned the author and the source, see here:

01-17-2016, 06:52 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by anu l Quote
I have now made appropriate changes to the blog; have mentioned the author and the source, see here:

Great!

The d5500 image seems to originate from here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/hrns/16367153487/in/album-72157650847633862/

A style point- the color of your links is inconsistent, some are orange, some are dark purplish and almost invisible on the black.

Best of luck building an audience
01-17-2016, 10:21 AM   #13

Original Poster
Must say that the response one gets from members of PentaxForum is really fast.

I get response very fast after start a thread, also more number of people seem to be interested for interaction.
And I have seen this happening consistently.

I had posted the same query on DPreview and I'm yet to get a reply.
I got 82 views from pentaxforums and 6 from DPreview and my blog isnt about only Pentax cameras.
and Pentaxforums is supposed to be a site for only a type of cameras DPreview is more general.