Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2016, 02:18 AM   #31
Veteran Member

A bit late to the party, but it is an interesting topic to read.

One legacy lens i recently acquired & certainly belongs to the below quote for me,
QuoteOriginally posted by mgvh Quote
With all that in mind, it is possible to be artistic with any lens, but some lenses that have helped/forced me to be more artistic are
is the m85 f2. It has such a nice rendering & feel to it. I haven't done it justice yet though..
https://christophegryspeert.smugmug.com/Fine-Art/Color/i-QVn9hN6/A
the m28 3.5 falls in the same category for me.

01-28-2016, 03:41 AM   #32
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the link. Very creative use of the lens indeed!
01-28-2016, 04:00 AM   #33
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I gained a creative boost when I changed camera instead of lens. I bought a Pentax Q and experimented with legacy lens on it. There was no way you could get as sharp an image from these lenses as from FF or apsc (In practise their resolution was essentially quartered) so you had to concentrate on other qualities. Take this image of a Romneya flower taken with a 50mm 1.7 -- not what you expect from an old workhorse. So unacceptable things like the raging ca in the background actually became part of the aesthetics.https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/136-pentax-q/213656d139616556...-m50romndb.jpg
Other examples including many by myself here
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/209474-adapted-lenses-tested...ce-thread.html
01-28-2016, 04:32 AM   #34
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
I gained a creative boost when I changed camera instead of lens. I bought a Pentax Q and experimented with legacy lens on it. There was no way you could get as sharp an image from these lenses as from FF or apsc (In practise their resolution was essentially quartered) so you had to concentrate on other qualities.
Using the Q7 and a cheap Chinese CCTV lens for a forum challenge was a turning point for me, for much the same reasons you mention. Resolution and aberrations were dreadful, plus the focal length wasn't what I would typically shoot at (it was a 35mm lens, so on the Q7, equivalent to 165mm on 35mm full frame) and due to adverse weather I was forced to shoot indoors most of the time. After a few days I found myself taking photos I would never have previously attempted or even thought of. A couple of them are actually among my favourite photos I've taken. So, for me, working within the limitations of a particular lens and camera forced me to look for and at things differently.

01-28-2016, 08:30 AM   #35
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
@GUB The image you shared gives a feeling of water color painting. There are numerous ways I guess. It is very similar to experimenting with different media of paints. I was talking to a photographer today and showed him the pictures taken with 85mm F2. He was impressed but he said that the challenge with professionals is that they need fast lens for their commercial requirements. So, AF means a lot to them. I guess that is why many photographers resort to working separately on the pictures on the software.

Nevertheless, I am thinking of taking prints and experimenting with color on them. It would be an interesting experiment.