Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2016, 10:53 AM - 1 Like   #1

Praktica / Zeiss EDC M42 lenses.

Hi

I have some old M42 screw lenses that I used on my Praktica (PLC2) many years ago. I stopped using them with my Pentax SLRs but have recently resurrected them and they they look fine.

They are all the electric version, EDC, with the electrical contacts in the mount.

What I'm concerned about is will the contacts cause any damage to the K50 I have bought recently. I'm using the 'official' Pentax M42 adapter. On screwing the lenses on and off, I noticed that they left marks on the mount, but these came off with a wipe (well, of the sleeve of my jumper, actually). From checking elsewhere on this site, I gather it is a good idea to put the camera on MF to retract the screw drive before mounting them, but also, while the lens is going on the contacts go over the K50 contacts and wonder if that it likely to cause damage.

Does anybody here have experience of using these lenses long-term and have they caused any problems?

The lenses are Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 35mm f2.4, Pancolar 50mm f1.8, and a Pentacon 135mm 2.8. The first two are reputed to be very good, and I rather like the Pentacon too....

Your help would be appreciated!

regards

Pete

01-18-2016, 11:28 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've used a Pentacon electric 29mm F2.8 on my k-5. No problem.
01-18-2016, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

I have the same Pancolar, attached to a PLC3 which my mum bought years ago. No problems whatsoever, although I would second the suggestion about retracting the AF screw. Mine doesn't even mount if that isn't done.
01-18-2016, 12:20 PM   #4

Original Poster
Many thanks, D1NO and Giklab. I'll just get on and use them then. I've tried a few macros with the Flektogon and they were fine, but I didn't retract the the AF screw - no damage done from the looks and behaviour, but will remember to do it from now on.

regards
Pete

01-18-2016, 02:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by petebfrance Quote
Many thanks, D1NO and Giklab. I'll just get on and use them then. I've tried a few macros with the Flektogon and they were fine, but I didn't retract the the AF screw - no damage done from the looks and behaviour, but will remember to do it from now on.

regards
Pete
I's on a spring so it can retract if pushed, but I doubt it reacts as well to side pressure.
Also, I'm jelly of your collection
01-18-2016, 03:57 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
I's on a spring so it can retract if pushed, but I doubt it reacts as well to side pressure.
Also, I'm jelly of your collection
Glad you approve of it It's funny, though, that it doesn't seem so long ago that the lenses were regarded 'in certain quarters' as being useful only as paperweights. The Flektogon looks like it will be most useful, but when I bought it (second-hand) I wasn't too keen on the 35mm viewing angle so didn't use it very much.