Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
01-19-2016, 04:04 PM   #16
Veteran Member

I have the tamrons 28-75 and 70-200, most of the time i just carry the 31mm, 77mm and some 50ish, theyre small and faster... Isvery posible to puton sale those lenses, adquire the new Pentax 24-70 (due WR) and use the mix of small primes and 1 zoom.

01-19-2016, 04:11 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
"DO IT! LIFE IS TO SHORT TO PLAY WITH CRAPPY LENSES"
I couldn't agree more
01-19-2016, 05:43 PM   #18

I have the Sigma 70-200, 24-70(both 2.8)and the 10-20,all lovely lens that I use primarily for weddings or anywhere that I need to shoot quickly and need auto focus or I am gonna miss the shot completely.But my main squeezes are my A 50 1.7 or my K55 1.8,both are killer lenses that render ever so nicely,as long as the shot is not rushed.And I think shooting manually has really improved my skill set.Maybe I am just channeling little Jimmy Olson from the Daily Planet!...
01-19-2016, 06:36 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The 16-50 f2.8 stays on my K-01 almost all the time, as it excels at chasing a toddler...

A few years ago I hired a K5 to do a wedding, and the 16-50 was superb.

If I want to play for my own purposes, I'll take it off and play with primes. Lately it's been the 50mm macro, but I also like playing with the Super-Tak 35mm f2 and M135 f3.5. They're fun.

I will admit throwing on a cheap F35-70 I bought from Mike a few weeks ago. It works well with the built-in flash and is looking promising with the stereo adapter.

-Eric

01-19-2016, 07:38 PM   #20
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by john1963 Quote
Can you please tell where you have found the duo of DA* for $1K
Pentax DA* 16-50 f2.8 | Lenses | Gumtree Australia Wyndham Area - Hoppers Crossing | 1093950507 - asking $550
Complete Pentax dSLR System - 6 LENSES - inc. DA* 16-50 & 50-135 | Digital SLR | Gumtree Australia Inner Sydney - Sydney City | 1098252834 - asking $600 for the DA*16-50 and $800 for the DA*50-135
Pentax k30- pentax lens da*50-135 f2.8- flash metz 44 for pen! | Digital Camera Accessories | Gumtree Australia Maribyrnong Area - Tottenham | 1099321201 - asking $550 for the DA*50-135

Not exactly $1k but in the region. No warranty of course; you are on your own if it fails.
01-19-2016, 11:53 PM   #21

I have the DA*50-135. It was the first digital era Pentax lens I purchased for my K-7 &18-55 WR kit.

I've never had any problems with the lens. And it has been through a lot: once it "accidentally fell" out of my camera bag onto concrete (by my wife on our wedding day) from a meter and broke the inner elements. Sent it to Sweden for a repair and it came back a little dusty inside, but otherwise perfect. Last summer a friend of my wife sat on the lens while it was inside a small camera bag. The focus and zoom rings are ever so slightly loose (so I don't take it out in the rain much anymore), but otherwise it works. Just need to send it to Sweden again to restore confidence in the sealing- which, by the way- is stellar.

Oh, and once my dog knocked it and the K-3 off a chair (my wife was involved in that one too...).

So even with all of that, it works perfectly fine. Sure, there are times I wish it were faster, but more often then not, 2.8 is fast enough for my everyday shooting. It focuses fast enough paired with my K-3 (the last firmware update sped it up a bit too) for everyday situations and gets me enough fair shots with fast moving dogs that I couldn't be more pleased with it.

It is so good, in fact, that I got spoiled and waited almost 3 full years before upgrading that 18-55 to a 20-40. Finding a great lens to pair with the 50-135 wasn't easy (for me).

Oh, and the weight: it really isn't that heavy. I always use it paired with a grip and I find that it balances very well while shooting. I regularly take it with me on hikes and never once have I blamed the camera for being heavy. If I felt that it were, it'd only be a wake up call to get stronger!
01-20-2016, 12:35 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Why does everyone complain about them then? (the DA*'s that is) They don't sound that bad?

Oh well. Next present to myself.

01-20-2016, 12:52 AM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Why does everyone complain about them then? (the DA*'s that is) They don't sound that bad?

Oh well. Next present to myself.
Check out the Lens Club, Tromboads.

I have a fantastic 50-135 converted to screwdrive, and would have got the 16-50 too for its rendering and WR but prices a year ago made me go with the Sigma instead (a sharper lens but without the Pentax colours).

Both are real bargains today, I reckon - have a look at the B&H and Adorama prices.

As for your original question, I use primes for leisurely setups and zooms for everything else, especially impromptu stuff. I *hate* missing an opportunity. ☺
01-20-2016, 01:12 AM   #24

If you're going to buy a zoom, spring for a sigma 17-50. Everyone needs a fast wide zoom for travel. I love mine, and keep my primes at home unless I know exactly what I am shooting. The IQ on the Sigma rivals my F 50 1.7, while I'd give the edge in "it factor" to my 50, the difference is really only in the bokeh.
01-20-2016, 01:39 AM   #25

Thanks for these finds, but I think I'll keep saving for new ones with warranty.
01-20-2016, 02:37 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Live dangerously. I will and then we can complain to each other about them
01-20-2016, 02:41 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Primes versus 2.8 zooms

My 31/43/77 limited set actually works a lot like a zoom except for the brief moments of dismounting and remounting. :>) Their photographic images constantly delight me. My Tamron 17-50 f 2.8 is actually a great lens. I use it when I need quick focal length changes or in low-light conditions, particularly at informal gatherings such as parties, family visits, public performances, and other situations where speed and flexibility is more important than unique image quality characteristics. I should probably use it more often as I have seen great work from several colleagues using this lens. The main problem is that every time I start to mount the zoom lens, my hand strays over to the limited collection, and I pause to think which of the trio ought to go along for the trip--the 31 with its pixie dust, the 43 with its unique perspective and challenge, or the 77 that my wife calls our magic lens.

In using prime lenses, on many but not all occasions it is not simply focal length but other characteristics, which determine which lens to select. These characteristics include sharpness, rendering, specific color rendering, 3D effects, and smoothness of background blur effects. In taking the magic lens, the 77, for a walk, I can adjust focal length by walking back and forth, but I cannot do anything to create the 77 effects when using the Tamron zoom.

If I capture 10,000 photographic images in a year, I find that I sometimes have 15 or 20 images that are remarkable enough that I find myself reviewing and cherishing them over and over again. Inevitably, I find that these 15 or 20 images were captured with one of my prime lenses, and not necessarily only with the 31/43/77 trio, but sometimes with the Canon 55mm f 1.2 conversion, maybe the Chinon 50mm f 1.4, the Pentax 100 or 135.
01-20-2016, 02:55 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 'wedding pair' of 16-50 and 50-35 are almost always in my bag. The 3 amigos are definitely always in my bag. Usually there is one or more of the tiny DA lenses in there as well, they weigh almost nothing, so I may as well. I had a problem with the 50-135 and sdm failure some years ago. The 16-50 has never missed a beat. I would buy them both again if I needed to. They are fantastic examples of the lensmakers art

Do yourself a favour (thanks Molly) and get the da 2.8's. You will not regret it.
01-20-2016, 04:00 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Because of SMD failures and in case of the DA* 16-50 also because apparently optically it is not quite on the level of the Tamron and Sigma equivalents - it lost to them in Pentaxforum's very own comparison review, despite better construction and weather sealing, which is a bit embarrassing for a zoom about twice the price.
01-20-2016, 04:07 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
not quite on the level of the Tamron and Sigma equivalents it lost to them in Pentaxforum's very own comparison review, despite better construction and weather sealing, which is a bit embarrassing for a zoom about twice the price
As it happens, I have or have had, each of these three lenses. The DA* is hands down a better performer than the Sigma. The tammy is close, but feels cheap. I have no explanation for the PF review results. I can only state that my personal experience if diametrically opposed.