Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-19-2016, 09:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Sending the 50-135mm back...

So after thinking about it for a while I'm going to take the chance of getting a not as good 50-135 optically replacement 50-135mm for the new one we got which has squeaky AF.

The AF should be silent, and someone said this is a sign of a motor out of alignment possibly, so even though optically this was a really great copy, we will try again.

Let you know in a week or two how the new one is!

B&H is really great to work with. Once I mentioned a Squeaky SDM AF, it was instant UPS return shipping label and RMA #. If anyone is going to know about Pentax issues, it would be B&H. They probably see more Pentax sales volume than most anyone. B&H really makes buying Pentax easy. Great after sales support!!

01-19-2016, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
Once I mentioned a Squeaky SDM AF, it was instant UPS return shipping label and RMA #.
They will probably put it in a box with Schrodinger's cat for a week. By the time it's opened, either the squeak or the cat will be done for. Nice to know they act fast and take responsibility for the issues with the gear they sell. That sort of stuff wins (and keeps) customers more than any advertising can hope to do.
01-19-2016, 11:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
They will probably put it in a box with Schrodinger's cat for a week. By the time it's opened, either the squeak or the cat will be done for. Nice to know they act fast and take responsibility for the issues with the gear they sell. That sort of stuff wins (and keeps) customers more than any advertising can hope to do.
That's a magical repair...

01-19-2016, 12:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm:
This is why I have not exchanged the 50-135 I have. It's sharp, focuses accurately with zero adjustment, has very little fringing and seems to work fine. EXCEPT for the little birdie chirp chirp when it starts and stops focusing.
If it going to act up I hope it does it this summer when it's still under warranty and not next summer!
Oh the irony !

01-19-2016, 03:47 PM   #5

I have the opposite opinion: If it is optically excellent (bonus = and optimally tuned for your camera body), then keep it. If the SDM fails- then make that the responsibility of Pentax under warranty. (It is possible that Precision may be out of the picture sometime this year).
01-19-2016, 05:31 PM   #6
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ed, do you have any FF plans?
01-19-2016, 10:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stagnant Quote
Oh the irony !

No irony, just a change of mind after spending HOURS and HOURS of researching this on line.

I do worry about getting a worse replacement. But If it's not optically as good, I'll just get a refund and spend the money on a Fuji 50-140... Now that would be ironic!

---------- Post added 01-19-16 at 10:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Ed, do you have any FF plans?

Absolutely none whatsoever.

There's a guy called Damien Lovegrove who pretty much obliterates anyone's arguments for FF with the quality of his photos. He doesn't have to say a word.

The size, weight and cost are just too much of a compromise for little if any actual or practical image quality improvement.

---------- Post added 01-19-16 at 10:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by One3rdEV Quote
I have the opposite opinion: If it is optically excellent (bonus = and optimally tuned for your camera body), then keep it. If the SDM fails- then make that the responsibility of Pentax under warranty. (It is possible that Precision may be out of the picture sometime this year).

But that sorta pre-supposes that good copies are an exception and not the rule... I'm trying to have some faith in Pentax here!!!

01-19-2016, 11:30 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
I can send you my copy from Finland. It doesn't squeak when focusing and it has been dropped from 1 meter onto concrete (on my wedding day by my wife no less) and repaired. Then last summer one of her friends sat on it while it was in a small camera bag and now the zoom/focus rings are ever so loose.

Still dead sharp and quiet, just waiting for the right time to send it to Germany for a repair.

The 50-135 remains my benchmark for any future lenses.