Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2008, 03:55 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
The Sigma might be larger because it probably focusses closer than the FA 50mm.
"This lens has a minimum focusing distance of 45cm (17.7") and has maximum magnification of 1:7.4."

Apparently not. FA focuses just as close if not a few centimeters closer

07-08-2008, 04:21 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zer0sum Quote
so....i just bought the pentax 50/1.4 a couple of days ago...should i be running back to the store to pay the extra money for this new sigma?
no, unless you demand maximum sharpness wide open or if you find the Sigma's bokeh to be soooo good that you want it
07-09-2008, 12:29 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Personally I will give this Sigma 50mm f/1.4 as well as the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 a miss. Simply put, the design objectives that Sigma emphasizes of very high center resolution at the expense of mediocre edge performance is unacceptable...
Thatís quite an exorcism
07-09-2008, 02:13 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gkopeliadis Quote
Thatís quite an exorcism
Well lenses of this focal range are pretty versatile for shooting a variety of subjects at varying apertures. So I would want a lens that can at least show good edge resolution and not just center sharpness.

Again the sample images only show subjects shot in daylight. Would be interesting to see how a subject like small decorative lights at night would fare as it would show up the degree of coma aberration, an issue with large aperture lenses.