Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2008, 11:30 AM   #16
Inactive Account

My quick take -- Looks great wide open. CA isn't horrible and can probably be corrected in PP. And , to be fair, that's about as high of a contrast picture as you'll realistically want to shoot.
Maybe I'm just used to wrestling with my old Tamron purple monster

That said, looks a lot sharper than the FA50mm did at f/1.4 on my K200D. I could have had FF/BF issues, though, so take that (and everything else I say!) with a grain o' salt.

07-03-2008, 07:34 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I suddenly wish that I had this Sigma fast 50

I'm meeting up with a client in a couple of hours, and I'll be switching over from my Super Tak 50mm F1.4 to my Sigma 24 - 70 f2.8 just for the meeting.
Whereas I could have probably left the Sigma lens on.

I've just seen too many people think that the size of a lens determines the quality of the photo
The Sigma 24 - 70 is a monster for such a small focal length

I don't want to loose a job just because of a lens.
07-03-2008, 09:22 AM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I suddenly wish that I had this Sigma fast 50

I'm meeting up with a client in a couple of hours, and I'll be switching over from my Super Tak 50mm F1.4 to my Sigma 24 - 70 f2.8 just for the meeting.
Whereas I could have probably left the Sigma lens on.

I've just seen too many people think that the size of a lens determines the quality of the photo
The Sigma 24 - 70 is a monster for such a small focal length

I don't want to loose a job just because of a lens.
Maybe you've discovered Sigmas market niche, lol. 50's are quite diminuitive creatures (until now, barring that Canon f0.95)

That said, I'd gladly use what I knew to work, regardless of size. The ends justify the means.
07-03-2008, 10:51 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I think I will stick to my lovely lovely lovely (did I say lovely....) FA50mm F1.4 The CA is is there, but is reduced when a hood is screwed on (don't know why, it just is).

Mind you when the 55mm DA* F1.4 comes out, I might look at one of those as well.

07-03-2008, 11:11 AM   #20
Inactive Account

I'm having a tough time trying to figure out which 50's not to buy. I have a couple M's and the FA50 and I'm still looking forward to the DA*55, maybe another K and possibly the Voigtlander 58. And I'd still like to check out the Zeiss Not that I need all these, but when the look and feel and color and bokeh all vary so much between variants, it's tough..
07-03-2008, 12:04 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by augustmoon Quote
I'm having a tough time trying to figure out which 50's not to buy. I have a couple M's and the FA50 and I'm still looking forward to the DA*55, maybe another K and possibly the Voigtlander 58. And I'd still like to check out the Zeiss Not that I need all these, but when the look and feel and color and bokeh all vary so much between variants, it's tough..
if you MF also consider this, https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/27090-pentax-5...on-photos.html
07-03-2008, 12:41 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I cannot quite see any advantage the Sigma might offer over the FA50/1.4. The latter is sharp, has fast AF and its build quality is better than many other AF lenses. The example images show quite noticeable CA, much more noticeable than my FA does, which I don't like personally. Also, the out of focus rendering of the FA is in my eyes pleasingly enough. If I need something even nicer, I use my old A 50/1.2.

The reported corner loss of resolving power and contrast is very acceptable for me and is something all fast lenses have naturally in common. I have used the Leica Noctilux 50/1.0 and found it to be a very good lens, despite quite a quality loss fully open. My measures may be different: Better an image, that is sharp in the center, than an image that is blurred everywhere, due to camera shake...

A fast lens fully open is something for special purposes and in most any of these applications a quality loss in the corners is of not much importance. By the way, this seems to be Sigma's philosophy too, if you consider the performance of the 30/1.4 "standard" lens for APS-C sensors.

Ben

07-03-2008, 02:11 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
I cannot quite see any advantage the Sigma might offer over the FA50/1.4. The latter is sharp, has fast AF and its build quality is better than many other AF lenses. The example images show quite noticeable CA, much more noticeable than my FA does, which I don't like personally. Also, the out of focus rendering of the FA is in my eyes pleasingly enough. If I need something even nicer, I use my old A 50/1.2.

The reported corner loss of resolving power and contrast is very acceptable for me and is something all fast lenses have naturally in common. I have used the Leica Noctilux 50/1.0 and found it to be a very good lens, despite quite a quality loss fully open. My measures may be different: Better an image, that is sharp in the center, than an image that is blurred everywhere, due to camera shake...

A fast lens fully open is something for special purposes and in most any of these applications a quality loss in the corners is of not much importance. By the way, this seems to be Sigma's philosophy too, if you consider the performance of the 30/1.4 "standard" lens for APS-C sensors.

Ben
Personally I will give this Sigma 50mm f/1.4 as well as the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 a miss. Simply put, the design objectives that Sigma emphasizes of very high center resolution at the expense of mediocre edge performance is unacceptable.

It may be still alright using this lens on the K10D and earlier cameras but with the K20D's sensor, this poor edge performance and frankly horrid CA is going to be exposed pretty badly. The Sigma 30mm had focusing issues, hopefully this 50mm doesn't have it. Good luck to those buying it cause those large filters are gonna cost you plenty.
07-03-2008, 02:18 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
Maybe you've discovered Sigmas market niche, lol. 50's are quite diminuitive creatures (until now, barring that Canon f0.95)

That said, I'd gladly use what I knew to work, regardless of size. The ends justify the means.
Sure enough, they took one look at the lens I had on my camera. Their eyes lit up, as they said it looks like a nice setup. And I got the job.
That was before they even looked at my portfolio, which added the icing to the cake.

I'll be using my Super Tak on my K100D as my carry around for the gig, and have my Sigma setup for the formal photographs.

For the record. I've never gotten the job when I haven't walked in with a camera.
Even with a portfolio overflowing with sweet pic's
In my opinion it shouldn't mater what we shoot, as long as we get results, but clients sure want to see something professional looking before they'll sign on the dotted line.
07-03-2008, 02:41 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
50/55/1.2 Porst/Revuenon (Cosina) $250+
I have never heard of those lenses, any good?
07-03-2008, 02:44 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Great post, thanks for the link..
07-03-2008, 05:37 PM   #27
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
I have never heard of those lenses, any good?
I just tried a search and came up empty handed (in the forums here). I originally saw a thread, here, by Roentarre that showed his Porst 50mm f1.2, and it looked really nice. Porst and Revuenon, as I have since uncovered in digging were both actually produced by Cosina in Japan. Cosina have been associated with some plastic fantastics (under their own name ironically), but have produced all the modern Voigtlander and Zeiss glass now on the market, and the Porst and Revuenons (50s at least ) in the past. The Porst 50 and Revuenon 55 are both K mount (no A's unfortunately) and the Porst was also made as an M42 - of which KEH is selling one for $950! (Canon users seek them out).

As for the Sigma 50... someone linked a thread about it in a different thread here and it looked very sharp, even wide open. Edges looked really sharp too - bokeh was quite unique. For the price though (and for a native MFer like me) there are still too many other choices to be tempted.
07-03-2008, 05:43 PM   #28
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Sure enough, they took one look at the lens I had on my camera. Their eyes lit up, as they said it looks like a nice setup. And I got the job...
Hey Congrats Stu! Also, congrats on having this lens already? What do you think of it?
07-03-2008, 07:28 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Personally I will give this Sigma 50mm f/1.4 as well as the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 a miss. Simply put, the design objectives that Sigma emphasizes of very high center resolution at the expense of mediocre edge performance is unacceptable.
the wide open 1.4 corner to corner is actually quite good. Sigma 50/1.4 samples online: Canon SLR Lens Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review again to reiterate what's already been said, it seems like this lens is optimized for wide open performance.
07-08-2008, 02:50 PM   #30

so....i just bought the pentax 50/1.4 a couple of days ago...should i be running back to the store to pay the extra money for this new sigma?

cheers

z