Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2016, 09:20 AM   #1

No focal length in EXIF

I'm using a lens that doesn't communicate with the camera. When I start up, I have to enter the focal length. It seems to work well enough for shake reduction - I don't really have the steadiest hand - but all the images have 0mm in the EXIF data. I searched some previous threads and they seem to indicate it should do this on its own. Is that something I have to enable?

It actually does this with two of my lenses, and if I'm not careful I can lose track of which lens was used on a shot. One is 24mm and one is 50mm so it's usually not that hard, but sometimes I really do lose track.

01-20-2016, 09:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by disord3r Quote
I'm using a lens that doesn't communicate with the camera. When I start up, I have to enter the focal length. It seems to work well enough for shake reduction - I don't really have the steadiest hand - but all the images have 0mm in the EXIF data. I searched some previous threads and they seem to indicate it should do this on its own. Is that something I have to enable?

It actually does this with two of my lenses, and if I'm not careful I can lose track of which lens was used on a shot. One is 24mm and one is 50mm so it's usually not that hard, but sometimes I really do lose track.
The exif should report whatever mm you input. If you put in 50mm when prompted, it should write 50mm into the exif data. Are you choosing 0mm?
01-20-2016, 09:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Are you choosing 0mm?
I don't think you can...?
On my K-50 the range is 8mm to 800mm.
01-20-2016, 09:30 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you enter the focal length at start up, then it should be recorded in the EXIF. If you do not record it at start up then AFAIK it defaults to the last number entered. Having 0mm is odd, I've never seen that.

Doe it always show 0mm for those lenses, or just sometimes? When it shows 0mm did it ask for the focal length on start up?

Note that if you have SR turned off, or one of the shooting modes engaged that turn SR off, then it will not ask at start up.

Also, what camera and what lenses? Maybe someone else has an answer.

01-20-2016, 09:40 AM   #5

Original Poster
It always asks for the focal length on startup, and I always put something in; frankly I don't know how I'd even dismiss that screen on startup without selecting a focal length. It always shows 0mm in EXIF as far as I know, as I had been using it as my means of quickly identifying which shots were from the manual lens until one day I realized I had used both the 24 and 50 in the same day. I'm using RawTherapee for the RAW processing. As mentioned, shake reduction seems to be doing a great job at steadying my shots, and I can confirm that I have noticed the screen does display the SR ON icon. This happens in the U1 mode which was originally a copy of M. The camera is K-50. The lenses are Tamron A2 24mm 2.5 and Pentax-A 50mm 1.4 - neither one has its focal length data. I'll have to double-check shots from these lenses to see what other EXIF data may be missing.

Probably unrelated to the EXIF problem - the Tamron, despite having an A mode on its adapter and allowing the body to control the aperture, will display "F--" in the viewfinder even though the LCD screen displays an aperture value and also responds to e-Dial aperture changes. The A-series 50mm does not do this - it shows the same value as the LCD screen. The exposures come out more or less correct with respect to aperture changes on the body, so I'm fairly certain that the body control is definitely working. Just an odd little bug.

Last edited by disord3r; 01-20-2016 at 09:46 AM.
01-20-2016, 09:48 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Best way to determine if it is Rawtherapee messing up is to use another exif reader such as exiftool.
01-20-2016, 12:02 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Could you attach a problematic file straight out of camera? Our system will automatically scale it and read the original EXIF.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-20-2016, 01:37 PM   #8

Original Poster
It has to be something in RawTherapee. I'm at work at the moment, but I put some up on Flickr and they seem to have the right focal lengths. I distinctly remember seeing the zeroes all over the images in RawTherapee that came from the manual lenses and wishing that I could batch update them all as necessary, but it doesn't seem to allow that. The Meta tab with the EXIF info doesn't appear in the file browser, only in the individual image editor.

So, something in there was 0mm, but I don't remember what at this moment. I'll post it up when I get home if only for closure, but if it's in the Flickr data I'm probably fine.
02-24-2016, 04:26 PM   #9

Original Poster
Totally spaced on this. I'm finding that the focal length is in the EXIF data without fail. Turns out that what I was noticing is that it doesn't show at the top in the overlay on the Image Editor pane. I have no idea where RT decides to pull that top value from, but it ain't from the EFIX data.

Anyway, at least I know I can always find it.
Attached Images