Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2016, 07:32 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How long have you had the lens? How often do you use it?

01-20-2016, 08:29 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does the problem happen only when trying to focus near infinity? If so, check your fine focus adjustment to make sure the camera isn't trying to make the lens go past infinity, in which case the focus will not lock in.
01-20-2016, 10:12 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Try cleaning the contacts maybe?
Yes, and contact is good. The AF distance indicator moves over the whole range from near to infinity.

---------- Post added 21-01-16 at 06:17 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
How long have you had the lens? How often do you use it?
I've had the lens since 2014. I used it about 5 times a year. The AF would not lock 100% of the times, even when I got it new; At the time I also used it with a K-5 and it also behave the same way but locked less often compared to using it with the K-3. But it worked acceptably well. However, now, the number of occurrences when it can't lock focus has increased a lot. Now, I miss a number of shots everytime I go out for a shooting session, so it becomes annoying.

---------- Post added 21-01-16 at 06:19 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by darylk Quote
Does the problem happen only when trying to focus near infinity? If so, check your fine focus adjustment to make sure the camera isn't trying to make the lens go past infinity, in which case the focus will not lock in.
Focus at infinity is Ok. There's some mechanical play around the focus point, so the AF distance moves back and forth around the focus position, sometimes the camera (K-3) is able to lock focus, sometimes, AF lock fails and the green indicator is blinking, so in AFS mode / focus priority, the camera won't take the picture, I have to do another AF sequence in hope that the K-3 will be able to lock focus.
01-21-2016, 05:01 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does live view behave the same as optical view as far as focus failing to lock?

01-21-2016, 01:16 PM   #20
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
. There's some mechanical play around the focus point, so...
That may be an important clue. If the lens focusing mechanism has developed too much slop, the camera focusing system may time out before it can drive the lens into the proper focusing position. You would have to be watching very carefully to see if the distance scale hesitates just a brief moment after you hear the focus motor begin to run. Forgot to ask before: Are you hearing any squeaking noise while the lens is focusing? Also, UncleVanya has a good suggestion to see if it behaves the same way using live view. This appears to be a nuanced problem, but goes to show how precise these focusing systems have become!
01-21-2016, 01:36 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by commongrounder Quote
Are you hearing any squeaking noise while the lens is focusing?
Yes there is a squeaking noise while the lens is focusing, but not all the way. I got the suggestion about used LV (PDAF) from UncleVanya , but haven't had the time to try in good light yet (I'm overloaded with work at the moment; and completely dark after work). Thanks all, I appreciate your suggestions.
01-22-2016, 11:10 AM   #22
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Yes there is a squeaking noise while the lens is focusing, but not all the way. I got the suggestion about used LV (PDAF) from UncleVanya , but haven't had the time to try in good light yet (I'm overloaded with work at the moment; and completely dark after work). Thanks all, I appreciate your suggestions.
Both of my lenses (DA* 16-50mm and DA* 50-135mm) were completely silent while focusing when I first bought them (brand new). It took about a year (right outside warranty), during which I used them pretty regularly, before I started hearing a little squeak when focusing the first few times. The squeak lasted longer until eventually the full blown focus problem showed up. I bought both at the same time, and the problem developed within two or three weeks between them. I was part of the group of big complainers at the time, but after the screw drive modification came out, I switched my lenses over and made my peace with the whole thing. I'm sad to hear that it may be happening to newer lenses. I sincerely hope this isn't the problem with yours.

01-22-2016, 02:24 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The squeak is the disturbing part. When I have had those kinds of issues with my K3/DA*300 changing the focus mode has helped. It is usually AFC or AFA modes which cause the issue. However, I have no squeaks.