Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2007, 11:27 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Old Sears Lens Aperture Problem

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have a question that I really hope someone has the answer to.

I bought a Sears 50mm f/1.7 Manual Focus lens for use in my college Photo class. It works really well with my PZ-70 film camera, but I popped it into my *ist DL and the aperture will only stay at 1.7 no matter what I do. I've used older lenses with my DL before, and I know that you have to go into the menu and enable the use of the aperture ring, but no mater what I cannot change the aperture. There is no way to control the aperture from the camera (as I would expect), but turning the aperture ring doesn't do anything either.

I found one of these on eBay if that maybe helps: Link

Is this a problem with the lens, camera, or is there some sort of incompatibility that I am unaware of?

02-10-2007, 11:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have f/1.4 version of this Sears lens (I like it very much), aperture ring works fine on mine, though "auto" is not the same as "A" version of Pentax lenses. The only way I found it works for correct metering on K10D, is either when stopped down manually (DOF preview), or while pressing green button...

If there is something I'm missing (lens gurus), please, chime in!

Regards,
D

EDIT - just toyed with it - look at the rear portion of the glass, while turning the aperture of the ring, can you see the blades opening or closing?

Last edited by Duh_Vinci; 02-10-2007 at 11:47 AM.
02-10-2007, 08:14 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
After messing around with my DL and the lens for awhile, it all of a sudden worked. I really don't know what I did to make it work, but it works now...strange.

Thanks for your help Duh_Vinci