Veteran Member

Does this help:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focus_puller
01-21-2016, 12:23 PM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
That article explains what person known as a focus puller does.
I don't see any explanation of what the object is that the OP linked to.
01-21-2016, 12:25 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
The object is obviously a measurement device. The 1st assistant camera has to know how far each subject is from the camera...

QuoteQuote:
Once a camera position is established by the director of photography and camera operator, the 1st AC begins to measure the various distances between the actors' marks and the focal plane of the camera. These distances are recorded in a series of grease pencil/pen marks on the focus barrel of the lens, and/or the marking disc on the follow focus device.

01-21-2016, 12:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Stupid me...
I didn't see the link. I thought he just heard or saw the term 'focus puller'.
I've got no idea what the item the OP linked to is for
01-21-2016, 12:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I hadn't a clue! I would have never guessed. I thought it was some device to "pull" something out of a lens when repairing it. But, now I know. What a hell of a tedious, dead-nuts-on job THAT would be! I can see what the guy meant when he said the "focus puller" had the most challenging job on the set. As Lt. Joe Kenda would say, "My, my, my!"
01-21-2016, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #7

That item is also called a "follow focus" and is used by a focus puller, usually with DSLRs.

See here:
http://www.adorama.com/alc/0013809/article/Overcome-Video-DSLR-Focus-Challen...ck-FollowFocus

01-21-2016, 01:18 PM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The object is obviously a measurement device.
Obviously???
The 1st assistant camera has to know how far each subject is from the camera...
I would think they'd use a tape measure for that. Can you explain how you use the device linked to for measuring?
01-21-2016, 01:30 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Obviously???

I would think they'd use a tape measure for that. Can you explain how you use the device linked to for measuring?
It listed as a "focus puller" but it is in fact a follow focus device.

Follow Focus Basics

The measuring is done with a tape and then marks are made on the white disk.

Last edited by boriscleto; 01-21-2016 at 01:38 PM.
01-21-2016, 02:03 PM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

The measuring is done with a tape and then marks are made on the white disk.
Right. That's a bit different than it, itself, being a measurement device, init?
01-21-2016, 02:09 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The "focus puller" is the usual term for the 1st Assistant Camera person, but the link here is the device used by a focus puller to "pull focus". Pros never use AF. The camera operator is too busy panning, tilting, and watching the viewfinder for composition, microphones, shadows, etc. So the first AC will measure from the film plane to the actor's mark for the shot and then put a grease pencil mark on some index marks on the lens and focus puller. Often, the focus on the lens is not micro tuned and you would have serious joint and muscle issues if you had to focus without a better geared system 8-16 hours a day, 5-6 days per week.

Like most people working in aviation or aerospace, there is no margin for error. The first close up of a star actor not critically sharp, everyone sees it (the next day in dailies or rushes), and not only do they have to reshoot the scene, you're fired! So for many DSLRs and more professional motion picture and video cameras, these focus pulling attachments are used to assist a focus puller to manually set focus.

Once upon a time, I did work as a cinematographer, videographer, 1st (and 2nd) assistant camera, and of course unit stills photography.
01-21-2016, 03:21 PM   #12

Part of a follow focus rail system:

https://web.archive.org/web/20111125082805/http://www.indisystem.com/follow-focus/

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-483507.html
01-21-2016, 03:24 PM   #13
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Said Item attaches to twin rails that would be mounted between the camera and the tripod, or in some such way. The follow focus gears would attach to a geared ring on a cine lens, or to a gear which you can attach to any regular lens. The white part can be marked with a dry-erase marker, so once you've set up that the actor is moving from point A to point B and the focus needs to change by x amount, you can simply mark that on the white disk and easily adjust focus with absolute certainty.
01-21-2016, 04:22 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Obviously???

Well since I are one (focus puller) I can assure you that it is precise but not tedious. I use a steel tape measure, cloth tape measure, laser distance finder, place marks on the ground , rehearse with all involved, extensive lens selection process in prep, sonar distance finder, an assistant who has a better line of sight speaking into my headset, diagrams of the set, 17 inch HD monitor, etc, etc, etc, .
01-21-2016, 04:47 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I find this all very interesting! The next time I watch the credits of a movie, I'm going to look for this guy who's behind the scenes.... pulling the focus!