Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2016, 05:26 PM   #1

Tamron Lens with Pentax KM?

I am completely new with photography and have bought a Pentax KM for my first camera.

I inherited my step fathers Pentax MZ-30 which has a Tamron lens. I would like to know if i can put the Tamron lens on my KM without it damaging the camera. I read that lenses can short circuit digital cameras?

I have no idea what the Tamron lens is but written on it is:

:- 2x KAX Teleplus MC4. The cover says "for Pentax AF"

:- aspherical LD (if) 28-200mm

:- HOYA 72mm SKYLIGHT

Does that help?

Thanks all!

01-21-2016, 05:52 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The 2x KAX Teleplus MC4 is a tele-converter. You should be able to detach it from the other lens.

The Tamron lens is a 28-200. Not a bad lens, but not a great one either. Pentax sold it as the FA 28-200.

The Hoya 72mm Skylight is a filter. Unscrew it from the front of the lens and use it as a frisbee...

If your camera is a DSLR it is a K-m (K2000 in the US). The KM was a 35mm film camera...
01-22-2016, 01:22 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The 2x KAX Teleplus MC4 is a tele-converter. You should be able to detach it from the other lens.

The Tamron lens is a 28-200. Not a bad lens, but not a great one either. Pentax sold it as the FA 28-200.

The Hoya 72mm Skylight is a filter. Unscrew it from the front of the lens and use it as a frisbee...

If your camera is a DSLR it is a K-m (K2000 in the US). The KM was a 35mm film camera...

Thanks yes they do all detach and my camera s mis a k2000.

Will they fit my camera without breaking it?
01-22-2016, 04:47 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Thekillerqueen Quote
Thanks yes they do all detach and my camera s mis a k2000.

Will they fit my camera without breaking it?

Short answer... yes. I had a Tamron 28-200 that I have used on both my K-50 and K-5IIs and it worked fine with no issues. It has since gone to another home. That's the beauty of Pentax and the K-mount; virtually everything is compatible with everything else. There need be no fear of causing damage just by mounting a lens.

01-22-2016, 11:12 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
Short answer... yes. I had a Tamron 28-200 that I have used on both my K-50 and K-5IIs and it worked fine with no issues. It has since gone to another home. That's the beauty of Pentax and the K-mount; virtually everything is compatible with everything else. There need be no fear of causing damage just by mounting a lens.
Thanks very much. How do you tell if a lens has a k mount? Just so i know myself in future
01-22-2016, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Thekillerqueen Quote
Thanks very much. How do you tell if a lens has a k mount? Just so i know myself in future
It's a matter of learning the differences between different lens mounts.

A K-mount lens will have three bayonet flags, and there are no notches in the flags.

With the mount mark (red dot) at 12 o'clock, there will be a notch for the lens release at about 4 o'clock. The aperture lever will be in the same area.

If there are electrical contacts they will be on the lens mount ring. They will be round. Some lenses will have two electrical contacts inside the mount ring.

If there is a narrow pin at the 6 o'clock position it may be dangerous (Ricoh pin). But most are a wide nub and not dangerous.

Nikon F-mount lenses can look similar, but the lens release notch will be on the opposite side. There are other differences too that become obvious with enough practice looking.

This is a plain K-mount with no contacts...

SLR Lens Mount Identification Guide

Last edited by boriscleto; 01-22-2016 at 12:32 PM.
01-23-2016, 02:03 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
It's a matter of learning the differences between different lens mounts.

A K-mount lens will have three bayonet flags, and there are no notches in the flags.

With the mount mark (red dot) at 12 o'clock, there will be a notch for the lens release at about 4 o'clock. The aperture lever will be in the same area.

If there are electrical contacts they will be on the lens mount ring. They will be round. Some lenses will have two electrical contacts inside the mount ring.

If there is a narrow pin at the 6 o'clock position it may be dangerous (Ricoh pin). But most are a wide nub and not dangerous.

Nikon F-mount lenses can look similar, but the lens release notch will be on the opposite side. There are other differences too that become obvious with enough practice looking.

This is a plain K-mount with no contacts...

SLR Lens Mount Identification Guide

Thanks !