Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2016, 04:34 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I still don't think it's wide enough, you obviously are a different kind of travel shooter. ☺

01-23-2016, 07:06 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I still don't think it's wide enough, you obviously are a different kind of travel shooter. ☺

Well, you go with what you got. I know if it was me, I would use something like a 10-20 mm zoom. Then again, if it was me and I was going to Japan (which I want to do) I would be able to afford a UWA like the 10-20 mm zooms.
01-23-2016, 11:46 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Would definitely like something wider, but to be honest I don't use wide lenses that often. I have an LX3 and as much as I love the wide angle on it, it really was only used for group shots (in moderately well lit conditions due to the old sensor) and the occasional landscape. Bought the K50 with the kit 18-55 and the DA35, with the expectation that it would be perfect for carry. Picked up the M50/1.4 about a month later and it instantly became my primary.

One hope I have is to use median stacking to hopefully clear some more touristy landscape areas of random people, which might ease up some need of a wider shot. I'm also checking out galleries on Flickr to get a sense of what ranges people are using in situations.

My preferred range right now sits around 50-80mm, and there's occasions I miss the 24mm on the LX3, but its not that often. Even on the recent family trip I had, I brought only my M50 and it served me well except for 2 occasions, when I struggled to get the entire ship in frame and trying to get a shot of the "North Star" pod from the deck just below it.
01-23-2016, 01:29 PM   #19
Unregistered User

I wonder if you couldn't get the lens you want cheaper if you buy it in Japan. Visit Akihabara (Akiba Temple district) in Tokyo. Probably be able to buy two or three for what it'd cost you in the U.S. [Btw, I'd go for the 50mm F/1.4, myself. scratch that.] Re-read OP's msg, revised recommendation: Pentax smc DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL WR.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 01-23-2016 at 03:50 PM.
01-23-2016, 02:05 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My idea of a holiday in Japan is sushi, Pentax, and a visit to the museum battleship Mikasa. Given previous experience of photographing on ships, wide angle is definitely the way to go - and by wide angle I mean 18mm would be too narrow and I would be planning two visits - one with my DA15 and a second after I had acquired a 12-24, if I wasn't happy with what I could take in. That, or a film/full frame body and my 17mm Tokina.

I accept that OP has to go with what he's got, but perhaps rental? Is there anywhere he's going that does that?
01-23-2016, 04:25 PM   #21

Original Poster
I'm from Canada, so unfortunately it means most lens (used from US sources, ebay, etc) purchases are facing some steep 40% markups. Absolutely not worth it to pick up something new right now... New lenses are too steep for the wider, faster options right now; especially since my current preferences are moving to portrait/medium tele ranges.

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
My idea of a holiday in Japan is sushi, Pentax, and a visit to the museum battleship Mikasa. Given previous experience of photographing on ships, wide angle is definitely the way to go - and by wide angle I mean 18mm would be too narrow and I would be planning two visits - one with my DA15 and a second after I had acquired a 12-24, if I wasn't happy with what I could take in. That, or a film/full frame body and my 17mm Tokina.

I accept that OP has to go with what he's got, but perhaps rental? Is there anywhere he's going that does that?
Canada has Henry's for pentax lenses, which doesn't offer pentax rentals (really its only Canikon)... otherwise I might as well have grabbed a 77 limited rental to fiddle with ages ago >_>
I've also kept an eye on their used lenses, but no 28mm M series has shown up (two are on Henry's right now, but they're the F3.5 variants)

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
I wonder if you couldn't get the lens you want cheaper if you buy it in Japan. Visit Akihabara (Akiba Temple district) in Tokyo. Probably be able to buy two or three for what it'd cost you in the U.S. [Btw, I'd go for the 50mm F/1.4, myself. scratch that.] Re-read OP's msg, revised recommendation: Pentax smc DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL WR.
Tokyo unfortunately will be near the end of the trip (4th last day), and was planned like that for souvenir purchases (don't need to lug things around). As much as the kit has access to 18mm, I'm not willing to give up the lower F stop for it (F3.5's just not good enough once the sun goes down and we're getting pretty far from the F1.4 of the 50mm).
01-23-2016, 07:03 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Surnia Quote
Tokyo unfortunately will be near the end of the trip (4th last day), and was planned like that for souvenir purchases (don't need to lug things around). As much as the kit has access to 18mm, I'm not willing to give up the lower F stop for it (F3.5's just not good enough once the sun goes down and we're getting pretty far from the F1.4 of the 50mm).
To be honest 3.5 should not be a problem with your camera. I ran around San Luis Potosi Mexico at night with a K5 and 18-135 and got some excellent shots. If you have a steady hand then you're good with your K50.

01-24-2016, 02:51 AM   #23
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Surnia Quote
Where are you starting your journey? Fortunately, Tokyo's not the only place with good camera shops. There are branches of Bic Camera and Yodobashi in most big cities, and they will carry a full range of K-mount stuff. I mention those two shops, because they are easy to find and you won't want to waste your time in Japan looking down backstreets for obscure camera shops.

One thought that occurred to me is to get the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8. Yodobashi and Bic are currently advertising this for 21,380 yen (USD 180).
01-24-2016, 03:33 AM   #24
Veteran Member

IMO, I would take 35 & 50. Or take only the DA35 and a gorillapod. And Don't forget to take alot of night photo.

Last edited by pakinjapan; 01-24-2016 at 04:00 AM.
01-24-2016, 03:55 AM   #25

Take a GR. You will have a 28mm and a back up camera rolled into 1 :-). I've never found 35mm wide enough for city shooting.
01-24-2016, 06:23 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
To be honest 3.5 should not be a problem with your camera. I ran around San Luis Potosi Mexico at night with a K5 and 18-135 and got some excellent shots. If you have a steady hand then you're good with your K50.
Second that. I don't know how standardised SR is across the range, but I'm getting sharp shots down to absolutely stupidly low speeds with my K-5, an f/3.5 lens STOPPED DOWN and a bunch of extension tubing stuck on the back. Even the most rudimentary rigid surface to brace against will provide you with a good opportunity for low light shooting.
01-24-2016, 10:23 AM   #27

Original Poster
I admit I'm one of the more stable people that I know of (I can hand hold my LX3 down to 1/2 sec reliably, and use the 200mm down to 1/6sec), but I don't like the IQ that comes with higher ISO (absolute limit is 3200, but I don't like going above 1600). Unfortunately for me, that's the main reason why the 18-55 doesn't come out with me as often, because I tend to carry the 50-200 + a prime to cover the low light.

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Where are you starting your journey? Fortunately, Tokyo's not the only place with good camera shops. There are branches of Bic Camera and Yodobashi in most big cities, and they will carry a full range of K-mount stuff. I mention those two shops, because they are easy to find and you won't want to waste your time in Japan looking down backstreets for obscure camera shops.

One thought that occurred to me is to get the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8. Yodobashi and Bic are currently advertising this for 21,380 yen (USD 180).
JPT, that may be an option, I'll have to see. The trip will be headed to Osaka and Kyoto first, so its likely I'll find a Yodobashi/Bic Camera pretty early on (I'm also contemplating a watch, so there's that as well.. If I don't get a watch...).

...Ohhh Yodobashi has the 77 ltd for 82670....
01-24-2016, 11:05 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That F 35-70 in your signature looks like a pretty interesting lens. And there's a 24mm Sigma Super-Wide II AF for $200 USD right now for sale here in the Marketplace. Put those together and that might be a really nice two lens "city kit". I know, this is probably wishful thinking, but I can't imagine going to a city like that and not having a wider lens than a 35mm on APS-C. My two cents.
01-24-2016, 11:11 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I would take the DA35 (just one), and then if you happen to stop by Tokyo, go to Shinjuku and pick up a new or used 20-40 Ltd, then use the 20-40 for the rest of the trip.
05-21-2016, 08:39 AM   #30

Original Poster
OK I FINALLY Finished the album.

IF anyone wanted an update, I ended up grabbing the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 at Yodobashi, and went with my 50-200mm WR. The Tamron is a great lens, but it does have some noticeable vignetting in the corners when wide open, and fully wide. Not that bad when doing busy landscape scenes, but not so great when you have a large expanse of blue sky...

In any case, the full album of shots! A majority was shot on the Tamron vs the 50-200WR, but the WR held a good place for the duration of the trip! Although I'm questioning how WR it actually is, as the lens feels different, and AF performance has suffered slightly.
https://flic.kr/s/aHskuSSZHP