Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-23-2016, 01:17 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Rotation direction on lenses

This used to be a real issue during manual focus days, but I wonder how many people still notice this. Pentax, Canon, Leica rotation of focus and zoom rings is one way, while Nikon for instance is the other way towards infinity. Zeiss plays attention to this and has different focus fittings for Canon and Nikon. Sigma lenses appear to all follow NIkon direction - intuitively wrong for Pentax users. In CAD software you can switch mouse button assigment and direction of movements, not for lenses with mechanical parts inside.
Anyone still cares? Is it correct that all Sigma's lenses rotate the same way? Is it the same for Samyan, Tokina, Tamron...? Whenever you grab a Nikon camera, you need to mount the lens the other way, apeture wheel would be the other way - but is hardly ever used these days - focusing is the other way...

This also implies that it is easier to switch from Pentax to Canon than Nikon...

01-23-2016, 01:34 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have Pentax and Sigma zooms and it for me the Pentax zoom direction feels wrong. I'm much more comfortable with the Sigma.
It would be nice if there was a standard.

Cheers,
Terry
01-23-2016, 01:35 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
This also implies that it is easier to switch from Pentax to Canon

... or from Canon to Pentax
01-23-2016, 01:59 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
it would be nice if there was a standard.

01-23-2016, 02:11 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

01-23-2016, 06:53 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What is worse is aperture rings, although in the digital age they cease to exist Or the fact that to mount lenses Pentax goes one way Nikon the other
01-23-2016, 09:24 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I often work with two cameras and had to sell one zoom which worked the opposite way to all the others.

01-23-2016, 09:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

It became far less of a priority when AF was introduced. I know for sure that Samyang (Rokinon, Bower, Bell+Howell, Opteka, etc.) preserves the proper direction based on the particular mount. Of course, the Samyang lenses are all MF, and the Pentax versions have the A mount aperture system.

I have two higher end AT-X Tokina MF lenses in A mount system - both turn the correct Pentax way. My recollection is that the AF lenses from Tokina turn the wrong way (like the Sigma lenses), but I'm not sure about that.

Last edited by ScooterMaxi Jim; 01-23-2016 at 01:16 PM.
02-14-2016, 11:04 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Looking at all the Tamron designs on the way into Pentax' lens lineup, we can benefit from correct rotation direction and communication of Tamron glass on a Pentax, plus Pentax coating (Pentax color appearance)... this is not bad at all.
06-10-2016, 07:22 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Just to correct the original assumption: After checking my collection, I see Pentax lenses turn in the same direction as Nikon. Tamron is the same direction. Canon and Sigma turn in the opposite direction. I have a Tokina in a MF lens in Pentax mount that turns the Pentax way, and an AF Tokina in Canon mount that turns in the Canon direction. So, at least some Tokina lenses are adapted to the native direction, apparently. Either that, or the brand itself transitioned into the opposite direction.

Last edited by ScooterMaxi Jim; 06-10-2016 at 07:27 AM.