Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2016, 10:07 AM   #16
Pentaxian

In film/photo school, before we were allowed to check out certain pieces of expensive gear, we had to take a test on it to make sure we knew how to use it and take care of it. (And if we didn't pass the test, we'd have to retake it and couldn't get the thing until we did). Even still, accidents happen. Maintaining a fleet of (high-end) lenses (and/or bodies) is an expensive, time-consuming thing. Sharing less expensive, easily replaced common lenses is quite doable, but expensive and rare beasts? Something else entirely -- which is why there are places like lensrentals.com, which has a staff of technicians and a bunch of fancy calibration gear, etc. So what you'd need is basically that, but hopefully cheaper -- a co-op with a membership fee, but cheaper rental rates. But even then, it would be Canon/Nikon gear carrying the place. Pentax-only? Never happen. I could see a close knit group or club having one or two communal lenses (and I'm sure that exists somewhere), but still someone is going to end up being on the hook more than someone else for anything real expensive, someone will drop it, bad blood will ensue, etc. Finding a college with a decent photo department and their own equipment is something to consider if you can take a class without having to sign up for an entire degree program. I bet there are nice old high-end Pentax lenses from the film era sitting in equipment lockers somewhere that people haven't used in 20 years. (The silver trunk case of my 600/5.6 actually has a "C.U." painted on the side -- I've wondered if it once belonged to University of Colorado or Cornell or something.)

01-26-2016, 10:31 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I recently lent a K2, with an open-ended return date, to a member who expressed a desire to shoot with one. I did not really 'know' the member beforehand. I'm completely confident it will be returned in perfect shape whenever he's used it long enough to be satisfied. I have on my desk the 'Sightseeing Screwmount', an Asahi Pentax SV, normal and 35 Super Tak and a light meter that circulates from one member to the next by subscription. The subscription works because one member volunteers to keep track of who has the camera and who is next in line, and because we are honest. One of us redid the door seals; another sent the SV to Eric for a CLA when it needed work.

The mechanics of a lending library would be a much larger challenge and would likely need a subscription fee and a paid 'librarian'.
01-27-2016, 02:07 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
But still not impossible!

We are half way here with a website that hosts a subscription model,
01-27-2016, 02:15 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Traveling Nifty Fifty?

01-27-2016, 06:15 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Exactly

I'm thinking there is someone out there who would insure it..

AKA..

Instead of giving away prizes Pentax Forums when you are over reviewing items... Add them to your library and start a rental service which could be accessible to those members whom subscribe.

I suspect there would be a few keen forum members whom would act as moderators and maintain this..
01-27-2016, 06:59 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
Exactly

I'm thinking there is someone out there who would insure it..

AKA..

Instead of giving away prizes Pentax Forums when you are over reviewing items... Add them to your library and start a rental service which could be accessible to those members whom subscribe.

I suspect there would be a few keen forum members whom would act as moderators and maintain this..
I have a good idea who to recommend for volunteer Senior Lead Moderator and Equipment Manager.
01-27-2016, 09:45 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I have a good idea who to recommend for volunteer Senior Lead Moderator and Equipment Manager.
Who ?

01-30-2016, 01:46 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thank you for all the perspectives shared! The great thing about an idea or trying to build upon it is the validation and feedback one receives from users - positive, constructive, critical, etc. So, very much appreciate the input!
01-30-2016, 02:51 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Honestly, I don't find lens rental that expensive, you can rent a very expensive lens for a week for less than 100$ and be 100% sure that whatever happen, you are covered. Not bad.

You know lens rental business is not so different than say a borrowing system, they surely make some money but they have expense to buy lenses, replace them and repair them when they fail and managing the logistics.

Maybe with a 100% volonteer system that would still be 100% assle free you could be 20-30% cheaper. But doing it for free to anybody would not work.

Doing it for money for a too low price would likely mean you'll be soon out of business.

I would consider renting a lens to lensrental. Already I would be afraid they would complain if I make a small scratch by accident. Lenses are fragile stuff.

I would consider giving my lenses to friend for a period of time, I did it already. Sometime a lens, sometime a tripod, sometime the whole kit and lenses.

But I would not be the one to give my gear to strangers, even part of the forum or whatever. This is simply not worth the trouble. little or no money, logistics to send and get back the lens. I would not depend on any community stuff because I know at that moment nobody might be willing to send me the lens I need and that I could likely just buy a lesser lens that would do 90% of the job for a fair price. Think of it with 17-50 & 70-200 from tamron at incredible prices, that look like a better solution.

I know it exist for books, but you never get back your book in fact, you send book to others and you get book you ask with system with points. Some people do it and look happy. But book are quite difficult to destroy, and even if you got a shitty looking book from time to time that just a few $ and what really count is the story anyway.

For flat, it exist, flat exchange I mean, my father tried it and found it terribly bad. it put his part time flat near monaco at the time of the formula one race in the system and he got rented quite easily, he got points from it... It had to pay to subscribe even somebody else benefited of that. Then he tried to get something good. He discovered that even through he had lot of points from his nice flat he shared that basically there was no great flat available or you had to get them far in advence like more than a year.

he did it one time still, we had to pay some money to the sharing company anyway, and quite a lot to do it. The flat we got was not that great in the end. Counting the initial subscription on one side and the price to pay to get another flat, even though you already shared your own make it as expensive as Airbnb or an hotel. Except that airbnb you choose between milions of possibilities, you don't pay to subscribe and don't have to give something like you own flat for some time before. Not interresting at all.

I would say why not for the idea, but there are things to be solved if you want it to be a success. This look like challenging...
02-04-2016, 04:09 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I suppose if a couple of Pentaxians were going to team up on a photography outing with the idea of sharing some equipment with one another, that would be one way of testing the idea. I too wondered about lens rental being an option, but will the rental outfit have exactly what you're looking for if they mainly rent only Canon or Nikon, for example. You might have to rent a body as well as the lens length you need. A local camera club, might be a place where member donated lenses and bodies might be available for borrowing by newbies or when someone more advanced had a rare need for a particular lens capability, but would they be available to an out-of-towner...maybe if sponsored by a member. But I think I am thinking of a time when equipment was simpler in the old, old film only days.
02-04-2016, 07:16 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Well. A few of the Melbourne peeps are hopefully meeting up later in march for pretty much just this.

I'll let you know if there is any fuss :P
02-11-2016, 06:02 AM   #27
Veteran Member

No way, Jose'! I think too much of my gear to loan it out to someone I don't personally know. I feel the same about my car and my guns. Some things I just DO NOT loan out unless it's to a personal friend that I have the utmost confidence in.... and even then, maybe not! Bad idea, as far as I'M concerned!