Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2008, 07:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lens Disection Help

So from my earlier thread I had pointed out that there was either fungus or dust behind the front element of a lens. So I decided to take it apart and try and clean it. However I have run into the following problem. The front elements seemsto be encased mechanically somehow as show in the attached pictures. Looking at Stan's drawing of the elements and the manual for the A50 1.7 provided in my original thread it seems that the front element is a group of three glass elements:

Do any of you in Pentaxia have experience in taking apart this front lens grouping? I could try the bull in china shop route but I fear that may be detrimental to the lens. I suspect that the fungus/dust in question is behind the first lens element or on the surface of the second element. Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by MrApollinax; 07-23-2009 at 05:14 AM.
07-02-2008, 09:50 AM   #2
Moo

No experience..
But it looks like, on your third pic, there are two notches with which you could unscrew the inner ring holding the lens in.
07-02-2008, 10:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I had noticed that as well but there did not seem to be any give on the inner thread when I applied pressure with my micro tools. As I do not have a lens spanner/wrench I do not know if I will be able to apply the correct pressure without damaging or warping that piece.
07-02-2008, 01:00 PM   #4
Damn Brit

Do you have any local camera stores that services cameras? This might be a good time to get friendly with them and see if anyone has any experience doing that kind of stuff. They might even have the right tools they could sell you.
Gary

07-02-2008, 01:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

There's a guy in Stillwater (MN) who could probably help you ("Allied Camera", I think?)

I hear he's semi-retired, but you may be able to get in touch with him. I thought about going out there myself for a couple things.

07-02-2008, 05:01 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Those lens wrench thingos are available relatively cheaply on the web - if you are planning to do more cleaning of lenses then it may be a worthwhile investment.
07-02-2008, 05:22 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Eric Hendrickson - Pentax Camera Service

Put it back together and send it to Eric at Pentax Camera Service <Link> Home.

He just cleaned a huge hunk of dust (or maybe a tiny thread of fungus) out of an inner element of a M42 135/3.5 for me for $11.

Eric is highly regarded on this board for repair / CLA of all things Pentax.

07-02-2008, 06:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Is there a Eric here in Oz seems we dont but if anyone...........

cheers
07-03-2008, 01:01 PM   #9
Inactive Account

This set up looks similar to the M 1.7m 50mm. This worked for me . Wash the lens group in warm water for about 10 mins.Hold the large end in a soft dry cloth. Grip the small end with another soft dry cloth . Twist, you will have to adjust your grip to find the right place, it should be only fingertight. For the front element I used a steel rule across the two notches, remove the retaining ring, separate the two front lenses. Mine had fungus / hazing here. There is another forum just for manual focus lenses with some good info but I dont know if I am allowed to name it.
07-04-2008, 09:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
I had noticed that as well but there did not seem to be any give on the inner thread when I applied pressure with my micro tools. As I do not have a lens spanner/wrench I do not know if I will be able to apply the correct pressure without damaging or warping that piece.

I made a spanner from two flat head micro screw drivers and a compass. Cut the screw driver heads off and then mount them in the compass graphite and point holes.