Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2008, 12:26 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
Smooth and crisp too, though I should clarify as the OP, I'd like to learn why people use a certain lens expressly for bokeh shots, and samples.

Every lens can make bokeh and with skill or luck its sometimes great, but there are certain lenses that time and time again pull shots out of nothing because of spectacular OOF rendering or render in such a way as to provide a tangible character to an image.

Is this a lens you would say does this for you? I'd love to hear!

FWIW, I would consider the CZ 75/1,5 Biotar mentioned earlier to be a real good example of what I mean. Subjective tastes on its bokeh aside, it has unique and (to me) quite dramatic and pleasing qualities. If you're a person who likes that lens, then time and time again, you're going to get shots with it that possibly no other lens could do. It would be a 'go to' bokeh lens, for those times when its personality was called for.
Ahhh, now I understand your point. Hmmm....I don't have a lens I consider my "go to" bokeh lens. I just kind of take it as it comes along. An example is the shot above that I posted. It was taken with the Bigma, which one wouldn't think would have the best bokeh.

Anyway, I'll be quiet now since I don't have anything to add to your quest.

07-03-2008, 02:32 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Is this bokeh "creamy" enough?

I'll post the lens later.
Looks good, how about this one?

DA*200mm

07-03-2008, 02:46 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have an old lens with Schneider 135mm f/3.5 and I have several close up shots using (Cosina 1:1 matched macro adapter) mounted on it one morning.

With the adapter mounted, there is quite obvious CA when I test it at wider apertures, but please note the circular ringed lights in the off focus area -- I have 2 other old lenses that have circular rings instead of hexagon rings in the off focus area -- Jupiter9 85mm f/2.0 and Kiron 28mm f/2.5

not great photo, but want to show circular rings in the bokeh

odd bokeh in razor thin 1:1 DOF

And this picture was done before without cosina 1:1 adapter

Last edited by hinman; 07-03-2008 at 02:52 PM.
07-03-2008, 05:13 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Ahhh, now I understand your point. Hmmm....I don't have a lens I consider my "go to" bokeh lens. I just kind of take it as it comes along. An example is the shot above that I posted. It was taken with the Bigma, which one wouldn't think would have the best bokeh.

Anyway, I'll be quiet now since I don't have anything to add to your quest.
Actually, in contrary, I find many teles to be fine bokeh makers. You need them to get dramatic seperation of subject/background in circumstances the 'fast 50' sorts just couldn't get close enough. Its quite a nice close focus shot for such a lens, its interesting to put it in mind that such a lens has many uses, though with the size, that use may not be its forte unless you're Lou Ferigno, lol.

FWIW, I made the following shot with a Takumar 400/5.6, wide open (though I would not recommend carrying it for said purpose, heh):

@ Buddha - also nice and smooth, also would love to hear more about your choice!

@ Hinman - very good observations, this is what I am curious to know! Correct me if I'm wrong, but if a lens is wide open should all have round bokeh? Just wondering if I'm missing something. Stunning sharpness though, and I quite like the gentle yet refined droplet circles in the first pic. I have an old Schneider Componon mounted in a roll of duct tape I've been using to tilt, maybe I'll have to investigate making an extension tube for it instead!

07-03-2008, 05:32 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Can't beat the 85's

My 85's bokeh isn't as creamy as my VL 180's was, or my FA 50 1.4 or 77ltd's are
(usually,) but I may prefer it over them all - At least right now, my tastes change
with every photo shoot as I try/see new things. But anyway....

Jupiter-9 85mm f/2:

SMC-M 85 f/2:

Note: NO PP of any kind on this last one - that yellow just bled all over
the sensor by itself. Blew me away.

Then, the S-M-C Takumar 85 f/1.9 had some strange but wonderful bokeh, and
under certain circumstances it showed a weird blur that I don't know how to categorize, really:

Last edited by jsherman999; 07-03-2008 at 05:37 PM.
07-03-2008, 06:17 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is a shot I JUST took with my pops SMC Takumar 50 MM F 1.4, unfortunately I must have moved a hair, and the subject is a bit OOF, but the bokeh is pretty impressive with this lens.

07-03-2008, 06:26 PM   #22
Site Supporter

did someone say bokeh??

I like the bokeh on this lens...

Cheers,
Marc
07-03-2008, 07:27 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
Looks good, how about this one?

DA*200mm

Like butteh! (butter, but in my "Mike Meyers Coffee Talk lady" voice)

07-03-2008, 07:31 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Funny no one has mentioned the Voigtlander SL 125mm APO Macro. Fully opened to f2.5 it makes puree out of any background! Quality glass and a 9-blade aperture make this lens a standout for images with some of the most pleasing bokeh ever witnessed.
If it isn't the king of bokeh it is certainly in the royal family.

Even at f7.1 it blends background into a most pleasing blur.

As much as I love the results of this lens I am leaning toward purchasing the DA 35mm macro. It has to be a few pounds lighter than the SL 125; better for carrying around and produces some very bokehish images.
07-03-2008, 07:50 PM   #25
Pentaxian

oops double posting

Last edited by danielchtong; 07-03-2008 at 08:07 PM.
07-03-2008, 08:04 PM   #26
Pentaxian

oops double posting
07-03-2008, 08:05 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
FWIW, I made the following shot with a Takumar 400/5.6, wide open (though I would not recommend carrying it for said purpose, heh):

I thought what I did was really long already at 300mm at F5

Daniel
07-03-2008, 08:08 PM   #28
Veteran Member

after reading this thread, i took some quick snaps around the house to experiment more with the bokeh of the A50 1.2. these photos have no artistic merit. looks pretty good to me, but there are some hard rings if you look closely and some pretty apparent CA if not careful.

back to the original post, i think this would be the lens i'd use for bokeh, just because it has the ability to blur almost anything in a very smooth way that lets you highlight certain details. however at 1.2, there is a bit of a "glow" around the focused subject that needs to be carefully used / hidden.

07-04-2008, 03:16 AM   #29
Pentaxian

i wanna know wheter the numbers aperture blade affecting the bokeh?

--

my sample

smc p m 50mm 1.7

smc p m 50mm 1.7

-----------------------

smc pentax 50mm 1.2

Last edited by fearview; 07-04-2008 at 03:29 AM.
07-04-2008, 04:20 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Regarding the number of aperture blades, as shown before is the Isco Gottingen Tele Westanar 135 3.5 M42 that has 15 aperture blades making a perfectly circular aperture at all positions.

This one was on a bellows at the time.

But then macro distances are fairly easy to produce reasonable bokeh. This one is at a more standard 2metres or so:

Other lenses I like are the Super Taks 50/1.4 and 135/3.5
Those are the ones I go to when wanting that 'look'.